VIA Rail Canada

Waiting for 30 Minutes

5 hours ago, rollsign29 said:

No. 1 departs from Toronto, No. 2 arrives.  If No. 2 is late enough, they'll bump the departure of that evenings No. 1 to the next morning, though it doesn't happen too often.

Apparantly it was really late owing to a derailment with the RMR somewhere out west, and it never recovered from getting stuck behind that delay.

It almost never, ever leaves in the morning. They'd rather have the delayed departure leave at 2am, as the crew is on the clock from when the train is supposed to leave, not when it actually leaves.

As I recall, it takes about 5 and a half hours to deadhead, clean, wash, restock/replenish, and deadhead back a consist. Because the difference between the inbound #2 and the outbound #1 is 12 and a half hours, the train needs to be really, really late in order for the departure to be delayed.

Dan

1 hour ago, smallspy said:

As I recall, it takes about 5 and a half hours to deadhead, clean, wash, restock/replenish, and deadhead back a consist. Because the difference between the inbound #2 and the outbound #1 is 12 and a half hours, the train needs to be really, really late in order for the departure to be delayed.

Dan

Considering that there was no sign of it at 2:30pm at TMC and no sign of it at Union about an hour later, even though it could have gone to TMC in that hour, it sounds like this was the case yesterday.

Via is replacing some of its passenger information displays. It looks like Union Station will be getting electronic signs at each Via gate as part of the revitalization project.

https://www.merx4.merx.com/public/solicitations/223425307/abstract

And London is particular is long overdue, I think they still have old CRT TVs and ancient analog character generators for train info display.

I'm surprised Québec is even in the deal. Are those 'digital towers' bound to replace info screens? CRT displays were replaced by flatscreens only a few months ago.

For Montreal, I'm contented, but I hope that the new displays harmonize with the current AMT and Amtrak ones. The AMT swiched to digital already years ago.

1 hour ago, webfil said:

I'm surprised Québec is even in the deal. Are those 'digital towers' bound to replace info screens? CRT displays were replaced by flatscreens only a few months ago.

For Montreal, I'm contented, but I hope that the new displays harmonize with the current AMT and Amtrak ones. The AMT swiched to digital already years ago.

Guess they want to have screens at platform entrace (altough if you manage to don't take the right train in Quebec City, you're really dumb)

• Like 1

On 2016-10-06 at 2:10 PM, eclair14 said:

if you manage to don't take the right train in Quebec City, you're really dumb

"Ah geez... I can't remember where's my train. Platform 1 or... platform 1? :wacko:"

:lol:

File:Gare du Palais de Quebec 18.jpg

Attribution Jeangagnon CC-BY-SA 3.0

It's sad though that this beauty once had 10 platforms (not counting the 4 additional ones at the Saint-Paul Terminus across the street, plus 2 at the NTR station in Little Champlain, plus 4 more at the "other" Québec station on the Lévis wharf), with destinations pointing north, east, south and west. 

03Q_P428S3SS1D10P12.jpg

Palais station platforms. Archives nationales du Québec

gare-du-marchc3a9-champlain-quc3a9bec-qc

National Transcontinental "intermodal" (maritime/rail) station. Musée McCord

• Like 1

6 hours ago, smallspy said:

Because there were far more sleepers that were bare shells then there were empty service cars,

Dan

Well, I specifically meant those 3. I would think that the extra door, which was intended for loading luggage, would be of some benefit on the Ocean ren sets.

17 hours ago, skyfirenet said:

Well, I specifically meant those 3. I would think that the extra door, which was intended for loading luggage, would be of some benefit on the Ocean ren sets.

Those three service cars probably aren't empty. The train design required that a service car be used on every single set of equipment, as it contained the step-down transformers for the rest of the cars. Thus, not only was the service car the most complex when it came to assembly, but you needed it just to be able to test the other equipment.

By the by, that larger door had nothing to do with luggage.

Dan

I doubt that VIA is spending $20 million because they forsee potential "demand" (read: ridership increase?) increase with the Confederation line

I suspect this is a capital improvement that could have happened regardless.

Sure, maybe the upgrades might be to integrate better with the light rail line, but, lets not kid ourselves. VIA isn't spending this money because they expect the LRT line is going to cause an increase in demand for VIA Rail.

3 hours ago, Oc4526 said:

Via Ottawa station upgrades. 

Saw this board this evening. 

IMG_1288.JPG IMG_1287.JPG

I don't like how it seems they're only doing the north platform. Trains regularly service both, so why not do the others too? Hopefully it's a future phase of the project.

2 hours ago, rollsign29 said:

I don't like how it seems they're only doing the north platform. Trains regularly service both, so why not do the others too? Hopefully it's a future phase of the project.

Judging by the 4th photo (Long-Term Vision) that is the plan along with what appears to be access to Terminal Ave  

9 hours ago, Oc4526 said:

Judging by the 4th photo (Long-Term Vision) that is the plan along with what appears to be access to Terminal Ave  

I think a connection between the Via station/Confederation line and Terminal Avenue is long overdue, especially with the government offices and Trainyards shopping plazas located in the area, and especially since there is already a tunnel between the train station and the steam generating plant on the far side of the tracks.  Right now, the only access from the Transitway/Confederation Line is route 121, which only connects at Hurdman and Blair Stations and operates at half-hour frequency most of the time.  Mind you, Trainyards does offer acres of free parking to help offset the relative lack of transit service... :rolleyes:

On 2016-10-20 at 0:25 AM, rollsign29 said:

Read up on the project - they only have enough funds to do the first platform and elevator, which is Phase 1. There will also be a Phase 2 and a Phase 3 as well - funds permitting.

Dan