MiWay

Orion VIII

Is there any hope that MiWay will acquire more expansion vehicules soon? I see that BT is rolling out a fair number of 2015 deliveries. I've recently experienced crush loads on the 26 and 109 with passengers left behind.

I try to get buses this year, but shot down at budget time in Jan.

Will be asking for more buses this fall on top of what been look at for 2017, so they are on the road in 2016.

Have done some number crunching and based on the 5 year plan and going to a 22% model split by 2045, the plan is a complete failure. The model split for 2045 will be 5.8 to 8.82% depending on city growth, well below our 11%. 3% yearly growth for ridership would be about 250,000 for 2045, up from the current 85,000 daily riders for weekday.

As for Artic on 5, I rarely use it these days and my observation is based on what I am seeing when using it.

Links do not work for the route 185 schedules.

I thought they worked when I posted them. I will see if I can get a new link up. Other than that, pretty much here is the details:

Route 185 North/South will run from 5 AM which the next trip will start at 5:30 AM, then 15 minute frequency until 9:15 AM which the last trip for the morning is 9:45 AM.

Then it starts back up at 2 PM which the next trip is 2:30 PM and then 15 minute frequency until 6:45 PM which the last trip is 7:15 PM.

The first two morning/afternoon trips going north are picked up by Mississauga Transit. Then they alternate between Mississauga Transit and Brampton Transit buses until 9 AM which the 9:15 AM and 9:45 AM are picked up by Brampton Transit buses. Afternoon, the first two trips are picked up by Mississauga Transit and the last two are picked up by Brampton Transit.

The first two morning/afternoon trips going south are picked up by Brampton Transit and the 9:15 AM and 9:45 AM morning trips and the 6:45 PM and 7:15 PM trips are picked up by Mississauga Transit.

The Mickey Mouse folks at MT continue to be cheap and clueless how to inform riders on long detours.

Found a 4 x 6 detour notice schedule for Aug 31 to Jan 30, 2016 on a shelter that wasn't there yesterday. A new rider would be clueless to know how the detour will work as well where to catch it on this notices.

It adds an extra 10 minute walking distance for me for either of these buses.

I hope they put a stop on the west side of Hurontario on Elm as well block the cars from parking there in the first place as its a long walk to the last Elm stop to Hurontario as well getting to the east side.

They have posted this notice on the stop sign above people heads where there is no shelters. How Dumb
20905347532_b7f0877444_b.jpg

Is there any hope that MiWay will acquire more expansion vehicules soon? I see that BT is rolling out a fair number of 2015 deliveries. I've recently experienced crush loads on the 26 and 109 with passengers left behind.

While availability of vehicles is an issue the other factor is the amount of service hours MiWay can provide as per budget. The 2015 budget included a increase of approximately 35,000 weekday service hours on an annualized basis. The major service changes so far this year have been:

Route 4 increased service: about 4900 annual service hours

Route 37 introduction: about 2800 annual service hours

Derry corridor (route 15 redesign, route 42 increased service): about 7100 annual service hours

Route 185 introduction: about 6800 annual service hours

That's the bulk of the weekday service changes which equates to almost 22,000 service hours. However through the year there have also been trips added to various routes, rumtime adjustments, schedule changes to accommodate GO connections, etc. While these changes may seem small, on a annualized basis together, they all add up to a significant portion of service hours, especially when driver crews and/or deadheads have to be reworked to accommodate the changes. Long story short by calculation most of the budgeted weekday service hours have already been utilized. While small increases in service could happen in October it's also likely they won't happen until next year.

There will be some Saturday service improvements in October. Most of the (limited) increase in Sunday service hours have already been allocated to route 4's Sunday service introduction and earlier trips being implemented on several routes come September.

Have done some number crunching and based on the 5 year plan and going to a 22% model split by 2045, the plan is a complete failure. The model split for 2045 will be 5.8 to 8.82% depending on city growth, well below our 11%. 3% yearly growth for ridership would be about 250,000 for 2045, up from the current 85,000 daily riders for weekday.

How did you calculate such a figure when nothing has been released regarding proposed frequencies, service days, or span of service on any of the proposed routes? These factors are all important in calculating the modal split and without that information it is irresponsible to just make assumptions. Also, it's been clearly stated that the plan is not final without official approval from council which will happen in the fall.

------

With the September service changes, Malton will operate a all day run on the 35, therefore the route will be split between Central and Malton. Also, all the remaining trips on the 51 that are currently operated by Central will be transferred to Malton, with the exception of the 2 PM school trips that start at Phillip Pocock.

While availability of vehicles is an issue the other factor is the amount of service hours MiWay can provide as per budget. The 2015 budget included a increase of approximately 35,000 weekday service hours on an annualized basis. The major service changes so far this year have been:

Route 4 increased service: about 4900 annual service hours

Route 37 introduction: about 2800 annual service hours

Derry corridor (route 15 redesign, route 42 increased service): about 7100 annual service hours

Route 185 introduction: about 6800 annual service hours

That's the bulk of the weekday service changes which equates to almost 22,000 service hours. However through the year there have also been trips added to various routes, rumtime adjustments, schedule changes to accommodate GO connections, etc. While these changes may seem small, on a annualized basis together, they all add up to a significant portion of service hours, especially when driver crews and/or deadheads have to be reworked to accommodate the changes. Long story short by calculation most of the budgeted service hours have already been utilized. While small increases in service could happen in October it's also likely they won't happen until next year.

There will be some Saturday service improvements in October. Most of the (limited) Sunday service increased hours have already been allocated to the route 4 expansion and earlier trips being implemented on several routes come September.

How did you calculate such a figure when nothing has been released regarding proposed frequencies, service days, or span of service on any of the proposed routes? These factors are all important in calculating the modal split and without that information it is irresponsible to just make assumptions. Also, it's been clearly stated that the plan is not final without official approval from council which will happen in the fall.

------

With the September service changes, Malton will operate a all day run on the 35, therefore the route will be split between Central and Malton. Also, all the remaining trips on the 51 that are currently operated by Central will be transferred to Malton, with the exception of the 2 PM school trips that start at Phillip Pocock.

It has been stated not only to me but others by the consultations that 3% growth is what the numbers are based on. 3% of what number?? Ridership or city growth. Either way, my number stands the test.

A certain person from Vancouver has his finger in this pie. Yes its up to council, but unless you are moving to a 5% plus for funding yearly for these 5 years, more service and route cuts will take place and that a given fact for the fall budget since its already known that it will be in the budget presentation.

Now, when is that new Meadowvale garage going to get built that been on the books for sometime??

I thought they worked when I posted them. I will see if I can get a new link up. Other than that, pretty much here is the details:

Route 185 North/South will run from 5 AM which the next trip will start at 5:30 AM, then 15 minute frequency until 9:15 AM which the last trip for the morning is 9:45 AM.

Then it starts back up at 2 PM which the next trip is 2:30 PM and then 15 minute frequency until 6:45 PM which the last trip is 7:15 PM.

The first two morning/afternoon trips going north are picked up by Mississauga Transit. Then they alternate between Mississauga Transit and Brampton Transit buses until 9 AM which the 9:15 AM and 9:45 AM are picked up by Brampton Transit buses. Afternoon, the first two trips are picked up by Mississauga Transit and the last two are picked up by Brampton Transit.

The first two morning/afternoon trips going south are picked up by Brampton Transit and the 9:15 AM and 9:45 AM morning trips and the 6:45 PM and 7:15 PM trips are picked up by Mississauga Transit.

It's pretty obvious that Miway buses will enter service at Dixie Station and end there. Brampton Transit will start and end at Bramalea Terminal. It saves cost and deadheading time.

Q: How does the BT-MiWay 185 "loop" at Dixie Station? If coming from Dixie-5 North how to catch?

The 185 enters Dixie Station from the access road just north of Eastgate, drops off on the westbound platform , loops around using the bus loop just west of the station, does pick up/layover on the eastbound platform and leaves using the access road. To catch it from the 5N you'd get off at the stop just north of Eastgate and walk into Dixie Station eastbound platform [A]

Q: How does the BT-MiWay 185 "loop" at Dixie Station? If coming from Dixie-5 North how to catch?

As Silly Tilley described or simply just take the 5N to the first common stop which is Eglinton and get off there and wait for the 185N. Simple as that...

Spotted an 08 D60LFR entering service on the 45AS turn left onto Sheridan Park Drive off of Southbound Winston Churchhill.

This is my first time seeing a 60 footer on the 45 in many years. Is this a new industrial extra run or how long has this gone on for?

There's an ongoing fleet shortage; artics, blue buses and Eldorados are showing up everywhere as a result. There was an Eldorado 30' bus on the 61 Mavis yesterday during the PM rush.

too bad there's no $$ to buy any buses. If 60' are on 12-year plan and 40' on 18-year plan are next buses in 2020 to replace 0851-class?

Where did you get no money to buy buses? And the 40' are actually on the 15 year plan. They will be replaced in 2018-2020. Another big order will be made around that time for new artics and 40' buses.

I presumed, perhaps incorrectly, that MiWay had no additional funding (noted above for more service expansion) and thus couldn't afford additional units at this time.

BT and MiWay appear to have different mandates: BT builds the route and passengers follow; MiWay only adds or expands when loads become high.

Well, with orange and blue buses being found anywhere which may also include weekends (presumably), if there is a reason why that has been happening is due to Malton Garage being closed on weekends, putting all the pressure on CX. And if there's not enough local buses, expresses are used, and vise-versa.

I sure hope that if there's a huge service increase in the next year or so and Malton garage is still closed on weekends, I don't think there'd be any way for Central to be doing all the work.

Whether or not there is additional funding for expansion buses next year is entirely up to city council.

Well, with orange and blue buses being found anywhere which may also include weekends (presumably), if there is a reason why that has been happening is due to Malton Garage being closed on weekends, putting all the pressure on CX. And if there's not enough local buses, expresses are used, and vise-versa.

I sure hope that if there's a huge service increase in the next year or so and Malton garage is still closed on weekends, I don't think there'd be any way for Central to be doing all the work.

CX is closed on weekends too, CP is the only storage facility open 7 days a week.

CP being the only garage open has nothing to do with it as Weekend demand is quite low, only 107 buses required for Saturdays and 68 for Sundays.

I presumed, perhaps incorrectly, that MiWay had no additional funding (noted above for more service expansion) and thus couldn't afford additional units at this time.

BT and MiWay appear to have different mandates: BT builds the route and passengers follow; MiWay only adds or expands when loads become high.

You're correct that my original post was explaining that it was unlikely that any additional weekday service expansion would take place this year due to the constraints of the operating budget, not that we couldn't get more buses as your original question was asking about service expansion. In theory right now if new buses came they would expand the spare ratio (a good thing) and not expand service. As MT0603 said funding for buses come from the capital budget and is decided by council with input from staff. there are factors that can change this - funding availability, planned service levels, planned fleet spare ratios, bus life expectancy, and also in the near future, the MiWay Five plan could change fleet requirements. Hope that clears that up.

I was told by a driver they are hiring another 30 drivers this year or next year. Most likely its to replace some that are about to retire and as well as some for expansion when the Miway 5 plan goes into action

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The MiWay 5 plan is aimed at delivering more service with the same amount of service hours, enabled by deleting much of the duplication of the route network.

For example; with the 35 and 57 being cutback to Renforth, duplication is eliminated between the subway with the 109 while being able to run the 35 and 57 with better frequencies all while using the same amount of buses. Although the 35 will likely shed several buses during the rush hour while maintaining the same or slightly better frequency, midday service will see a considerable boost. The 7 being cut back to Renforth and the 34 being scrapped altogether will yield a considerable amount of resources to be better used elsewhere around the system.

The five year plan, coupled with the eventual Hurontario LRT will change MiWay's future fleet requirements along with capital infrastructure needs; pushing the need for the Meadowvale Garage much further into the future.

The MiWay 5 plan is aimed at delivering more service with the same amount of service hours, enabled by deleting much of the duplication of the route network.

For example; with the 35 and 57 being cutback to Renforth, duplication is eliminated between the subway with the 109 while being able to run the 35 and 57 with better frequencies all while using the same amount of buses. Although the 35 will likely shed several buses during the rush hour while maintaining the same or slightly better frequency, midday service will see a considerable boost. The 7 being cut back to Renforth and the 34 being scrapped altogether will yield a considerable amount of resources to be better used elsewhere around the system.

The five year plan, coupled with the eventual Hurontario LRT will change MiWay's future fleet requirements along with capital infrastructure needs; pushing the need for the Meadowvale Garage much further into the future.

Yes, I do know the plan will deliver more service to improve frequency and as well as fixing up some of the routes to make it more efficient.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The point is they don't need to buy new buses to offer better service.

The point is they don't need to buy new buses to offer better service.

For peak service yes you need more buses until the LRT is built.

You have enough buses for off peak, but not the staff to put more service on the road 7 days a week. Even with overtime, you are short staff.

I stand to be corrected, but the spare ratio is too low at this time for both drivers and buses.

The 5 year plan is asking a lot for riders to add more travel time and transferring than there should be. It is also a Peter pay Paul case that has been taking place for a decades and par for the course.