Kingston Transit

D40LF

They did keep on producing them until 2004, right? They could replace the current VI's and Classics when they are retired, but they'll probably use D40LFR's to replace them.instead. They seem to like them.

but why would they replace the vi's are in the process or already have been rebuilt? thats a giant waste of money..

and of course they like the D40LFR's everyone likes their brand new buses but it's not up to KT to chose what buses they want in the future

it's up to council and tendor

but why would they replace the vi's are in the process or already have been rebuilt? thats a giant waste of money..

I meant in future years, once the Orion VI's (98XX) have been retired. But by that time, 2004 VI's would probably be a waste of money. They currently use the VI's on both minor routes (like the B ) and major routes (like the 6). But if they replaced those with LFR's, then they probably wouldn't want to use them the same way as the VI's (both on minor and major routes)-- it makes no sense to run a D40LFR on a route like the B which has a very low ridership.

I meant in future years, once the Orion VI's (98XX) have been retired. But by that time, 2004 VI's would probably be a waste of money. They currently use the VI's on both minor routes (like the B ) and major routes (like the 6). But if they replaced those with LFR's, then they probably wouldn't want to use them the same way as the VI's (both on minor and major routes)-- it makes no sense to run a D40LFR on a route like the B which has a very low ridership.

It doesn't make sense to run a D40LF, but it makes sense to run the vi's on the B route? How does that make sense? Where do you get your information from? Are they both not 40ft buses? Does it really matter what model they choose to use on it? Also, 2004 vi's don't exist as that model was discontinued in 2002.

It doesn't make sense to run a D40LF, but it makes sense to run the vi's on the B route? How does that make sense? Where do you get your information from? Are they both not 40ft buses? Does it really matter what model they choose to use on it? Also, 2004 vi's don't exist as that model was discontinued in 2002.

An OT here again...Sonoma County Transit got the very last Orion VIs in February 2004, off an option from a Oakland AC Transit contract that ended up getting canceled. Even then KT would have no luck getting any (much less have any use for them) seeing as there are only 3 model year 2004 Orion VIs in existence. None were built in 2002 or 2003.

It doesn't make sense to run a D40LF, but it makes sense to run the vi's on the B route? How does that make sense? Where do you get your information from? Are they both not 40ft buses?

Yes, but I'm fairly sure that the LFR has several more seats.

An OT here again...Sonoma County Transit got the very last Orion VIs in February 2004, off an option from a Oakland AC Transit contract that ended up getting canceled. Even then KT would have no luck getting any (much less have any use for them) seeing as there are only 3 model year 2004 Orion VIs in existence. None were built in 2002 or 2003.

Really? Wow, fore some reason I thought SSM Transit had a lot of newer VI's. I stand corrected

You talk about buying used Orion 6's?? There is not much on the market right now for Orion 6's and it is very unlikely that you will find a good shape Orion 6 on the used bus market anytime soon or ever.

unless you look on ebay for some albany buses :P

also unless the D40LFR's have seats on the roof i didn't see they have the same seating as the D40LF's

You talk about buying used Orion 6's?? There is not much on the market right now for Orion 6's and it is very unlikely that you will find a good shape Orion 6 on the used bus market anytime soon or ever.

Most of the ones I've seen on the market are for parting out to keep existing fleets going- those rear axles especially.

D45LFR??? 96 or 97 rebuilt articulated Classic???? Both don't exist!

Sorry, I meant D35LFR.

Moving on from that, does anyone know if KTT 7975 is still sitting at McAdoo Park Drive-In, and if they're still using it as a projection room?

Moving on from that, does anyone know if KTT 7975 is still sitting at McAdoo Park Drive-In, and if they're still using it as a projection room?
7975 was never used as a projection room. It was Ex-Kingston Township Orion I #74179 and is apparently still in use as a projection room This bus was assigned fleet number 7985, but never carried that number.

74179 is listed on the WIKI: http://www.cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php?title=Kingston_Transit

7975 was donated to the OPP for a mock terrorist attack and was blown up many years ago AFAIK.

Assuming you live in Kingston, It would not be that hard for you to go to the Drive-In and find out for your self because no one on the board lives in Kingston at this moment.

I do, but I unfortunately don't have either the time or will (mostly time) to be much of an active enthusiast :). All my transit fanning comes from riding the KT buses, glancing at Belleville Transit buses as I drive through & around Belleville, and watching the Trenton Transit buses drive by my parents' place. I might have to step it up a bit now that D40LF isn't around.

I do, but I unfortunately don't have either the time or will (mostly time) to be much of an active enthusiast :). All my transit fanning comes from riding the KT buses, glancing at Belleville Transit buses as I drive through & around Belleville, and watching the Trenton Transit buses drive by my parents' place. I might have to step it up a bit now that D40LF isn't around.

'D40LF' has invaded Calgary now...!

Oh, Sorry I forgot about you Teddy B)

Yea, I was just thinking of Teddy as I read this thread. Odd that in all the time I lived there I never met him!

'D40LF' has invaded Calgary now...!

I wouldn't say invaded, more like hit like a natural disaster!!!

Here is a photo of 74179 at the drive-in, I took it on October 13, 2010 and it is on the wiki, http://www.cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php?title=I...sit_74179-a.jpg

Yea, I was just thinking of Teddy as I read this thread. Odd that in all the time I lived there I never met him!

I wouldn't say invaded, more like hit like a natural disaster!!!

Here is a photo of 74179 at the drive-in, I took it on October 13, 2010 and it is on the wiki, http://www.cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php?title=I...sit_74179-a.jpg

Shame too, I had hoped to attend both the Kingston Transit charter (in 7975 IIRC) and the Belleville Transit one back in 2009. The KT one I was working 2 jobs at the time and it would've been too tricky to get the time off and the BT one I had a 4 month old critter I was still trying to find time around.

unless you look on ebay for some albany buses :)

The only system I've seen with used Orion VI buses is B.C. Transit in Binghamton, NY, which uses ex-Albany buses. Even then, they looked pretty ugly and were apparently pressed into service with nothing more than new decals...

Broome203.JPG

Broome208.JPG

Broome209b.JPG

Anyway, back on topic... B)

First and foremost I can assure that KT will NOT be getting any more Orion VI. They want rid of the eight they do have. The mid life refurb mentioned above is not a refurb, they are only getting a repaint into the orange stripe scheme. Expect the Orion VI to start being retired soon, after the Classics are gone, they may be joined by the two SLF.

I did hear that Nova's could be coming soon, once they next three D40LFR arrive this year. I have also heard that they were interested in the Orion VII, but are weary of Orion products.

also unless the D40LFR's have seats on the roof i didn't see they have the same seating as the D40LF's

What I meant was that the LFs/LFRs, which have the same number of seats (39), have more seats than the VI's (about 27 seats).

7975 was never used as a projection room. It was Ex-Kingston Township Orion I #74179 and is apparently still in use as a projection room This bus was assigned fleet number 7985, but never carried that number.

Ok, thanks.

I guess KT really wants rid of the two SLF's also. They are putting them on the routes that have virtually no ridership (A, B, etc.) A few days ago (jan. 24) I rode one of the SLFs running the B Collins Bay (0312) and by the sound of it, it's on its last legs.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone else noticed the KT page on the wiki needs a lot of work? It still displays many Classics (ex. 9095, etc.) as buses in service, but I'm pretty sure the Classics have almost all been retired-- to my knowledge, there are 3 of them left: 8790, a GM classic, which doesn't really count as it is the Driver Training Bus and lacks a farebox, and there are also apparently 8870 and 8893 (two MCI's) still in service, but I haven't seen 'em around lately. :D

Has anyone else noticed the KT page on the wiki needs a lot of work? It still displays many Classics (ex. 9095, etc.) as buses in service, but I'm pretty sure the Classics have almost all been retired-- to my knowledge, there are 3 of them left: 8790, a GM classic, which doesn't really count as it is the Driver Training Bus and lacks a farebox, and there are also apparently 8870 and 8893 (two MCI's) still in service, but I haven't seen 'em around lately. :D

Check route 7 for the missing Classics, or go ask at the yard if you can go round back, if they are retired they will be parked out there with the numbers painted out.

As for the wiki that is setup so that it is colour coded, look at the top of the table for further info on what they mean.

Check route 7 for the missing Classics, or go ask at the yard if you can go round back, if they are retired they will be parked out there with the numbers painted out.

As for the wiki that is setup so that it is colour coded, look at the top of the table for further info on what they mean.

It's not just that. There's not much wrong with the fleet list on the Wiki, except that it lists 0952, the Arboc, as a bus in service. The real problem is the route list. For example, on the Route 3 page, it lists the buses used on this route: MCI Classics, and GM classics. First off, KT doesn't have any GM classics anymore. I ride the 3 on a daily basis, and it's always an LF, LFR or VI. They did, however, use Classics on the 3 back when Classics were abundant.

Also, the wiki has a list of historical routes. Since there is no page for any of the historical routes, can anyone tell me what exactly were routes 6R, 8, 11, 14, and 20 were? I've looked them up, but found nothing. I've never heard of them.

Oh ok, thanks! :(

6R was the extension of route 6 that went north of Cataraqui Centre up Midland Ave and down Gardiners, I used to ride it when I started at Assurant. It later became route 4, then route A.

Route 11 was given to Montreal Street, until they received new destination signs several years ago the Orion VI's used to carry them in the signs for this route, as well as never used Metrobus. This is from a photo I took of the sign in 9807, http://www.angelfire.com/ca/TORONTO/signs/KING9807.html.

Also why do you keep saying that 0952 is retired? My sources tell me it is not retired, just not there alot due to issues.

Please don't go around changing the info on the wiki just because you haven't heard of it. I have the info for these routes and spent years researching the history of Kingston Transit, just wish my book would get published soon :lol: