Kingston Transit

D40LF

I scanned a pair of my old pictures from when I vistied Kingston back in 2004, enjoy!

Ah good old 7974. I had a chance to buy that bus, or 7973. Could have had one of them for less than $500. Decided to pass and the same guy brought both.

I really wanted 7975 but it was donated to the OPP for training purposes.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking of visiting Kingston on March 12 or 26 as a transitfan trip. I planned out a very rough route including stops at the Cataraqui Centre, Kingston Centre, Brock/Bagot, and St. Lawrence College. I put Queen's University under the maybe for now. Does anyone else have suggestions or some important information for me? I would like to know how long transfers last, and if there are any upcoming service changes that could disrupt my plan. Thanks!

Also, when I confirm the date, perhaps you could join me as well! I'll see what happens. :)

I'll also post the plan I've made once I check it over.

Also...what's UWE?

I'm thinking of visiting Kingston on March 12 or 26 as a transitfan trip. I planned out a very rough route including stops at the Cataraqui Centre, Kingston Centre, Brock/Bagot, and St. Lawrence College. I put Queen's University under the maybe for now. Does anyone else have suggestions or some important information for me? I would like to know how long transfers last, and if there are any upcoming service changes that could disrupt my plan. Thanks!

Also, when I confirm the date, perhaps you could join me as well! I'll see what happens. :P

I'll also post the plan I've made once I check it over.

Also...what's UWE?

Transfers last one hour, Queen's is not a good place to go, buses just pass through.

Best places I know are, Kingston Centre, St.Lawrence Collage, Cataraqui Centre and Gardiners Town Centre. I don't visit downtown too much as the buildings create a canyon effect and cars get in the way.

AFAIK there are no improvements or changes scheduled between now and then.

Transfers last one hour, Queen's is not a good place to go, buses just pass through.

Best places I know are, Kingston Centre, St.Lawrence Collage, Cataraqui Centre and Gardiners Town Centre. I don't visit downtown too much as the buildings create a canyon effect and cars get in the way.

AFAIK there are no improvements or changes scheduled between now and then.

One thing I've noticed with the schedules is buses always arrive in packs. Do you know how long they sit and if there are usually any buses laying up? Also, I think the Princess Street construction might affect buses downtown..

KT detours effective March 1 until (estimated) July 1...

One thing I've noticed with the schedules is buses always arrive in packs. Do you know how long they sit and if there are usually any buses laying up?

Generally they arrive a couple of minutes before departure time, and normally wait for the last bus scheduled to arrive so that connections can be made, unless one is really late.

Best place for layover buses is the Cataraqui Centre, although it is normally an Orion VI or D40LF. Sometimes you get a Classic there on a driver shuttle.

At the Kingston Centre you rarely get a bus layed over at the terminal, instead they go into the parking lot adjacent to Bath Road and Sir John Counter Blvd and wait there.

One change I have actually noticed in the last couple of weeks is that route 6 seems to always be a lowfloor now, this was a regular run for Classics and the sole Orion V. But it is possible that it is just the luck of the draw as I have not heard anything official about route 6 becoming accessable.

Did you mean Sir John A. Macdonald Blvd.?

And where is this parking lot?

Sorry yes I did, the garage is on Sir John Counter.

The parking lot is just right next the intersection, although I haven't seen a bus there in a few weeks now.

BTW the map you drew is how it used to be a couple of years ago, until they extended first the 4, then the 1 down to Ontario Street.

Hey D40LF, thanks for all your help. :mellow:

Heading to Kingston March 12!

Pity you couldn't do it on the Saturday as I work on the Friday, could have shown you around. Like the old Rek Vee here in town, or old Kingston Township Orion 1.

Pity you couldn't do it on the Saturday as I work on the Friday, could have shown you around. Like the old Rek Vee here in town, or old Kingston Township Orion 1.

I picked Friday because I feared Saturday service would be lowered because of my experiences. Plus my Via ticket isn't exchangeable. Perhaps I'll come down again another day. :)

I picked Friday because I feared Saturday service would be lowered because of my experiences. Plus my Via ticket isn't exchangeable. Perhaps I'll come down again another day. :P

Saturday is the same service level as Weekdays! It's Sunday that's sucks.

Where is the old Rek Vee located? Are there any others in scrap condition around thr country?

Bath road, where the road runs along the CN tracks, next to European Tires (I think that is what it is called). Its painted all white and is former Kingston Transit 7460. I have been in it and verified the serial. Its now a camper, the owner didn't know it used to be a transit bus!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late post

Was very surprised on Monday to spot 9202 on route 10, haven't seen a HF on this route in ages.

Also for the record while route 6 is not officially accessible right now they mainly sitick LFs on it, I was told out of 3 buses on that route at least 2 are now LF.

So for those interested the main routes to find HF action in Kingston are now routes 3 and 12.

Sorry for the late post

Was very surprised on Monday to spot 9202 on route 10, haven't seen a HF on this route in ages.

Also for the record while route 6 is not officially accessible right now they mainly sitick LFs on it, I was told out of 3 buses on that route at least 2 are now LF.

So for those interested the main routes to find HF action in Kingston are now routes 3 and 12.

Yay! I'll definitely be hunting those routes tomorrow.

Yay! I'll definitely be hunting those routes tomorrow.

Quick run down for you tomorrow

Route 1, 2 and 71, mainly D40LF, occasional Orion VI

Route 3 Classic

Route 4 Orion VI, occasional D40LF

Route 6 whatever they can use (no cutaways)

Route 10 Orion VI, although I did see the V on it.

Route 12 Classic

Route 15 whatever they can use (no cutaways)

Route 19 whatever they can use

Route A Ford Cutaways

Route B Internationals

Route C Internationals or SLF

Those are just from the top of my head and of course is only a general guide

Quick run down for you tomorrow

Route 1, 2 and 71, mainly D40LF, occasional Orion VI

Route 3 Classic

Route 4 Orion VI, occasional D40LF

Route 6 whatever they can use (no cutaways)

Route 10 Orion VI, although I did see the V on it.

Route 12 Classic

Route 15 whatever they can use (no cutaways)

Route 19 whatever they can use

Route A Ford Cutaways

Route B Internationals

Route C Internationals or SLF

Those are just from the top of my head and of course is only a general guide

Thanks! I'll make a note of that.