Kingston Transit

D40LF

I went by the garage today on my way back from Ottawa.... #1049 still out back, unlicensed. Saw a handful of the LFRs in service! Very sharp...

U never told me, I would have met up with you.

8867 is now retired, parked out back. Took a photo around 11am (where were you then Jan?). It is missing its license plates.

This leaves only 8790 (seems to be used as a training bus), 8870, 8892, and 8893 left,

U never told me, I would have met up with you.

8867 is now retired, parked out back. Took a photo around 11am (where were you then Jan?). It is missing its license plates.

This leaves only 8790 (seems to be used as a training bus), 8870, 8892, and 8893 left,

I was there too. We left the garage around 10:30. We just missed you lol. We stopped quickly on our way home from Ottawa.

it was amazing to see how many classics have gone in the last month.. i was really shocked to see 8867 there

8867 was retired this past week. There are alot of retired buses there now, 8867, 8868, 8869, 8791, 8894, 9095, 9202, and 0625.

9803 has been repainted with the orange stripe.

8790 is now the dedicated driver trainer bus, has no farebox.

1049 is not in service because there is no farebox for it, more are on order.

0952 has apparently been rejected and retured to the dealer. Don't know if it is gone for good or what.

Have also heard that 8867 maybe unretired soon, maybe because of 0952. However I will have to check up on this.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't think Kingston was part of Consortium.

Kingston has become part of the consortium, but are part of the options so the next three buses coming in will be from the consortium order.

These D40LFRs were their own order.

1049 is now in service, license plate is 502 0BF while 8892 is already missing its farebox and drivers seat.

• 3 weeks later...
A SLF is parked inside the yellow truck repair shop next to the highway. This is a mustbe every day thing for Kingston as I see one of them parked there waiting for repairs every time I am in town.

Those things are always having problems. I wouldn't be surprised if they went before the Orion VI.

• 1 month later...

Hm. Yeah, the SLFs have been having a lot of problems lately- i stopped by the yard and saw, among other things, an SLF (i forgot the number) obviously with a suspention problem-- the rear bumper was so low that is was almost touching the ground.

It's a real shame about them retiting almost all of the Classics- i think the biggest mistake KT made was to retire the New Look's so early, the TTC still uses them!

Hm. Yeah, the SLFs have been having a lot of problems lately- i stopped by the yard and saw, among other things, an SLF (i forgot the number) obviously with a suspention problem-- the rear bumper was so low that is was almost touching the ground.

It's a real shame about them retiting almost all of the Classics- i think the biggest mistake KT made was to retire the New Look's so early, the TTC still uses them!

The New Looks were corroding out, alot were retired due to issues with the bulkheads, a common New Look issue. 7972 and 8080 were two that come to mind.

As for the SLF's, well I heard years ago that KT didn't like them, it takes them time to get the parts. I do know that they had the entire floor replaced several years ago.

0952 has apparently been rejected and retured to the dealer. Don't know if it is gone for good or what

Are you sure they've returned the Arboc? I can see how they would have buyer's remorse about it (what with it being a Chevy and all :huh: just kidding) but why not just buy another LC or E450?

Are you sure they've returned the Arboc? I can see how they would have buyer's remorse about it (what with it being a Chevy and all :huh: just kidding) but why not just buy another LC or E450?

Kingston does not like the LC, that is where they got the buyers remorse. They can't get through the day without being refulled, they are constantly going to Leeds Transit for repairs. The Arboc was supposed to be another LC but they cancelled it as they are so unhappy with them. I contacted a supervisor just before christmas and he told me that 0952 was returned.

I always thought they should have gone with the El Dorado but they wanted cutaways.

Before I left Kingston I did hear a rumor that they were going to get a D35LFR, but not sure how accurate this was.

Yeah, that's true. I regularly take the B to school every day (and the 71) and 80% of the time, they use the LC'S on route B. Most of the time, I'm the only one on that bus-- they could certainly get away with using an E450, since they are a little smaller. They really need to start using those LC's on larger routes-- I have witnessed them them several times serving Route 10. (I also saw a Classic serving the 10 with a fully operational rollsign, but that's another story.) Anyway, I can see how it would be just about impossible to use a bus like the LC on a big route like the 6 Downtown (especially at rush hour- ugh :huh: ), but they could probably use it for the 4 Downtown during off-peak hours. They would save a lot of time and money by using the SLFs on Route 6 (even though there are only 2)-- the only problem with that are those dreaded speed bumps along McEwen and Lakeview.

About a year back, at the KT convention at SLC, I proposed a new minor route, the D, which would originate at Gardiners, go along Bath then down Bayridge (then bypassing into Acadia, then rejoining Bayridge) to Front, stopping by the airport, then continuing east on Front/King until SLC-- and in tune with the flights, like the new 18. But what with KT's current financial situation (those D40LFR's must have been expensive), I don't think it'll come into effect anytime soon.

Yeah, that's true. I regularly take the B to school every day (and the 71) and 80% of the time, they use the LC'S on route B. Most of the time, I'm the only one on that bus-- they could certainly get away with using an E450, since they are a little smaller. They really need to start using those LC's on larger routes-- I have witnessed them them several times serving Route 10. (I also saw a Classic serving the 10 with a fully operational rollsign, but that's another story.) Anyway, I can see how it would be just about impossible to use a bus like the LC on a big route like the 6 Downtown (especially at rush hour- ugh :huh: ), but they could probably use it for the 4 Downtown during off-peak hours. They would save a lot of time and money by using the SLFs on Route 6 (even though there are only 2)-- the only problem with that are those dreaded speed bumps along McEwen and Lakeview.

About a year back, at the KT convention at SLC, I proposed a new minor route, the D, which would originate at Gardiners, go along Bath then down Bayridge (then bypassing into Acadia, then rejoining Bayridge) to Front, stopping by the airport, then continuing east on Front/King until SLC-- and in tune with the flights, like the new 18. But what with KT's current financial situation (those D40LFR's must have been expensive), I don't think it'll come into effect anytime soon.

Umm...how would that make sense? Leave the crap LC's on low ridership routes where they belong. No reason to put them on routes that actually get ridership.

Umm...how would that make sense? Leave the crap LC's on low ridership routes where they belong. No reason to put them on routes that actually get ridership.

The B has virtually no ridership, and it's true that it's probably not a good idea to put the LC's on high-ridership routes. The best decision is to probably sic most of the LC's on peak-hours routes (like the 12A). Then they don't have to run during the early afternoon, as opposed to the B which runs all day thru Acadia, where almost no one gets on, and the buses have to stop and start suddenly, which is pretty harsh on the mileage.

But I see why the LC's have to go in for repairs all the time. They've made a complete hash of putting the cab and the body together. The interior honestly looks like it was put together by a dyslexic one-handed monkey.

As for the SLF'S... well, the Orion VI's brakes and steering aren't really in top shape, and I heard the transmissions are going on some of them. All I'm saying is that the SLFs would work as well as the Orion IV's on a route like the 10 Amherst-- on the inside, they are very much like and have almost as much space as the D40LF & R's.

The Arboc was supposed to be another LC but they cancelled it as they are so unhappy with them. I contacted a supervisor just before christmas and he told me that 0952 was returned.

Wait. To my knowledge, 0952 is the Arboc. Why did they return it if they hate the LC's so much? :huh:

Before I left Kingston I did hear a rumor that they were going to get a D35LFR, but not sure how accurate this was.

Who knows? Personally, I think they should get a D45LFR or an articulated D60LFR, or if they can't afford it, get a '96 or '97 rebuild articulated Classic.

The B has virtually no ridership, and it's true that it's probably not a good idea to put the LC's on high-ridership routes. The best decision is to probably sic most of the LC's on peak-hours routes (like the 12A). Then they don't have to run during the early afternoon, as opposed to the B which runs all day thru Acadia, where almost no one gets on, and the buses have to stop and start suddenly, which is pretty harsh on the mileage.

But I see why the LC's have to go in for repairs all the time. They've made a complete hash of putting the cab and the body together. The interior honestly looks like it was put together by a dyslexic one-handed monkey.

As for the SLF'S... well, the Orion VI's brakes and steering aren't really in top shape, and I heard the transmissions are going on some of them. All I'm saying is that the SLFs would work as well as the Orion IV's on a route like the 10 Amherst-- on the inside, they are very much like and have almost as much space as the D40LF & R's.

Wait. To my knowledge, 0952 is the Arboc. Why did they return it if they hate the LC's so much? :huh:

Who knows? Personally, I think they should get a D45LFR or an articulated D60LFR, or if they can't afford it, get a '96 or '97 rebuild articulated Classic.

Yes 0952 is the Arboc, it was returned because after three days it broke down and needed extensive repairs. I rode it during those three days and was not impressed at all. The tender was for awarded to Leeds Transit for an LC, to replace 0625, but this was changed to an Arboc.

There is no such thing as a D45LFR, as for an articulated bus there is not much need for one in Kingston. Also you will not see any used high floors coming to Kingston, they want rid of the last Classic's soon.

Well, if KT comes out of its economic crisis, they could probably use some newer Orion VI and VII's.

Newer orion vi's? The Kingston vi's are going through their midlife rebuild with most being done at this point. As for the brakes and steering, thats normal for the orion vi.

Brand new vii's are possible if Orion wins the consortium contract, but used ones wont be considered.

Newer orion vi's? The Kingston vi's are going through their midlife rebuild with most being done at this point.

They did keep on producing them until 2004, right? They could replace the current VI's and Classics when they are retired, but they'll probably use D40LFR's to replace them.instead. They seem to like them.