Sheppard East LRT

DavidH

Has anyone been out on Sheppard to witness any of the construction as of late?

-pass by there every day.

watermain relocation is still progressing westward, they're up to the west side of markham road now.

other than that i haven't noticed anything.

Has anyone been out on Sheppard to witness any of the construction as of late?

-pass by there every day.

watermain relocation is still progressing westward, they're up to the west side of markham road now.

other than that i haven't noticed anything.

I was out there yesterday. They were working yesterday and had westbound Sheppard lanes closed from about Progress to Scunthorpe. They had the northbound curb lane blocked on Markham Rd as well causing traffic jams along it.

I'm curious too see what will happen once they start work in front of Malvern Garage and the only entrance/exit for buses is located on Sheppard, unless there is some way to get the buses to use the employee parking entrance/exit off of Markham Rd.

I'm curious too see what will happen once they start work in front of Malvern Garage and the only entrance/exit for buses is located on Sheppard, unless there is some way to get the buses to use the employee parking entrance/exit off of Markham Rd.

They can, and they have used the entrance/exit on Markham Rd. I don't know if it is still kosher to do so however.

Dan

I was out there yesterday. They were working yesterday and had westbound Sheppard lanes closed from about Progress to Scunthorpe. They had the northbound curb lane blocked on Markham Rd as well causing traffic jams along it.

i'd imagine they'd only block off one driveway at a time, maybe have a supervisor directing 2 way traffic on one, while the other's out of service.

i'd imagine they'd only block off one driveway at a time, maybe have a supervisor directing 2 way traffic on one, while the other's out of service.

I would imagine the ultimate "finished product" will be to have buses enter the ROW west of there, and simply "turn left" across opposing traffic into the garage? SImilar in concept to how streetcars and buses will turn off of St Clair and into Oakwood loop, where no signal will be installed.

I would imagine the ultimate "finished product" will be to have buses enter the ROW west of there, and simply "turn left" across opposing traffic into the garage? SImilar in concept to how streetcars and buses will turn off of St Clair and into Oakwood loop, where no signal will be installed.

dunno.

i haven't even thought that far ahead.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

This is probably common knowledge by now, but Metrolinx and the TTC have leased a vacant storefront in a plaza on Glen Watford road and Sheppard.

The intent is to use it as a community liaison office for residents and buisiness owners in the area.

I stopped in this afternoon, looking for an artist's rendition of what the Stouffille GO underpass will look like. They had that, and some handouts with conceptual drawings of other things too.

The office is open and there's staff on hand to provide documents and answer questions Mondays through Fridays from 2 to 5 pm for the duration of construction, from what I understand.

Just head for the sign on the north east corner, you can see it from Sheppard.

This is probably common knowledge by now, but Metrolinx and the TTC have leased a vacant storefront in a plaza on Glen Watford road and Sheppard.

The intent is to use it as a community liaison office for residents and buisiness owners in the area.

I stopped in this afternoon, looking for an artist's rendition of what the Stouffille GO underpass will look like. They had that, and some handouts with conceptual drawings of other things too.

The office is open and there's staff on hand to provide documents and answer questions Mondays through Fridays from 2 to 5 pm for the duration of construction, from what I understand.

Just head for the sign on the north east corner, you can see it from Sheppard.

I got off the 85 yesterday exactly there and I didn't notice. Fail. :P;)

• 1 month later...

In order to convert the LRT to a Subway, it would result the project being delayed at least another five years. Considering another EA would have to be done, and i think we would be lucky if it is built within the next ten years. I think it would be smarter for Ford and his team to concentrate on projects which have not yet started construction, but wasting money to cancel projects doesn't make any sense.

In order to convert the LRT to a Subway, it would result the project being delayed at least another five years. Considering another EA would have to be done, and i think we would be lucky if it is built within the next ten years. I think it would be smarter for Ford and his team to concentrate on projects which have not yet started construction, but wasting money to cancel projects doesn't make any sense.

I think it would be better to stop the project now and change while they are only this far in, rather than to go ahead with plan that the city doesn't want.

I think a subway system would be attractive to businesses as well as homebuyers. A subway system might also give Toronto that extra edge over other major areas in Ontario when trying to encourage people to invest in Toronto.

I think it would be better to stop the project now and change while they are only this far in, rather than to go ahead with plan that the city doesn't want.

I think a subway system would be attractive to businesses as well as homebuyers. A subway system might also give Toronto that extra edge over other major areas in Ontario when trying to encourage people to invest in Toronto.

Easier said than done. But I do agree subways are better.

A subway system may be attractive, but I can think of lots of things that would be "attractive" to businesses as well as homebuyers that make no sense for the city to do. A subway system that's underused because it's not really necessary becomes a big drain on finances, since it's expensive to run a subway and the ridership had better be there to pay for it. I don't think rising taxes to pay for underused subways would encourage anyone to invest in Toronto.

Of course Ford will repeal some taxes, and freeze some other taxes. Unless he has a magic pony (and knows how to use it), that means expenditures will be cut. I don't expect to see any transit expansion in the next four years. Contraction of the system, buses running less frequently, limited service outside of peak/daytime, I can believe. Like the 1990s all over again.

Easier said than done. But I do agree subways are better.

The cost of building a subway at today's standards is somewhere around 2 billion dollars per km. (Based on the spadina extension cost).

VS 59 million per km for LRT (Based on Sheppard east).

that means for every KM of Subway you can build a lot of LRT's.

Which one would you prefer?

The cost of building a subway at today's standards is somewhere around 2 billion dollars per km. (Based on the spadina extension cost).

VS 59 million per km for LRT (Based on Sheppard east).

that means for every KM of Subway you can build a lot of LRT's.

Which one would you prefer?

Also, if transit city money is re allocated, Rob Ford will have to expect a knock on the door with a debt collector and many, many lawyers of the tendered companies. But then again, council must pass the motion before anything is done.

Also, if transit city money is re allocated, Rob Ford will have to expect a knock on the door with a debt collector and many, many lawyers of the tendered companies. But then again, council must pass the motion before anything is done.

Considering the enormous cost in not building it, i dont think any responsible council will let that happen. No to mention what will happen to all those street cars which were already ordered.

Huh?

Check your math - it comes out to just shy of $300mil per km. Keep in mind though that this is a project in a hurry - building it a bit slower could save on costs.

None-the-less, it is still a hell of a lot cheaper to built LRT lines than it is subways.

Dan