Subway/RT Cars Thread.

D40-90

I have a few Questions about some of the Subway stations, like Bloor station on the Yonge Line. I was wondering whem the Station got rebuilt or redone. And Does anyone have pictures of what it looked like before??

Same with Dupont Station. I remember seeing a picture of it before where it had a similar look to Donlands I beleive?? But I don't remember.

And does anyone have any pictures of the H-5s before there rebuild, with yellow seats iirc???

Thanks!!

Edited by busfreak

I have a few Questions about some of the Subway stations, like Bloor station on the Yonge Line. I was wondering whem the Station got rebuilt or redone. And Does anyone have pictures of what it looked like before??

IIRC, Bloor was rebuilt in the late 1980ies to early 1990ies, right in time for the huge drop in ridership. I can't recall the original configuration of the station, other than having far narrower platforms. I'm sure that there are pictures online.

Same with Dupont Station. I remember seeing a picture of it before where it had a similar look to Donlands I beleive?? But I don't remember.

Dupont Station has not changed since it was built.

And does anyone have any pictures of the H-5s before there rebuild, with yellow seats iirc???

Thanks!!

Again, I'm sure you can easily find pictures online. Try Transit.Toronto.

Dan

The Bloor station redesign came after the cancelation of Downtown Relief line in 1985. The original plan was to push the side platforms back, move the tracks and insert a centre platform betwen them (think of Sheppard-Yonge, Sheppard line). It would have taken 6 months of full station closure. The proposed redesign came out in 1989, so they are not a direct 'cause and effect'.

Obviously, the TTC quickly backed down from this plan Construction on the Hudson's Bay Centre (directly above the station) provided the TTC with a window to slightly improve the station. The side platforms were extended back, and the roof stregnthed so that columns wouldn't have to support it (and be in the middle of a future platform).

The temporary way to reduce demand on the subway was to implement express buses (136 and 141-144) which still exist today due to the premium fares charged. And of course, declining ridership also reduced the strain on Bloor-Yonge.

IIRC, Bloor was rebuilt in the late 1980ies to early 1990ies, right in time for the huge drop in ridership. I can't recall the original configuration of the station, other than having far narrower platforms. I'm sure that there are pictures online.

Dupont Station has not changed since it was built.

Again, I'm sure you can easily find pictures online. Try Transit.Toronto.

Dan

OK thanks. I tried Toronto Transit, a very good, but it game mr pictures of H-5s with front black paint scheme. no interior pictures before rebuild. Thanks though!!

Obviously, the TTC quickly backed down from this plan Construction on the Hudson's Bay Centre (directly above the station) provided the TTC with a window to slightly improve the station. The side platforms were extended back, and the roof stregnthed so that columns wouldn't have to support it (and be in the middle of a future platform).

The Hudson's Bay Centre was in existence well before then. I believe the building you're thinking of is the one on the south side of Bloor, facing the Hudson's Bay Centre.

And they all had the old Quadrat font which still exists on the escalator and subway walls.

Quadrat isn't the proper name of that font. In fact, nobody really knows what the official name is (not even the TTC). Quadrat is just a variant of it that was made/modified to reflect it.

Does anybody know if the new Toronto Rocket cars will feature doors that close quickly 90% of the way and then slow down for the rest, as in the H6 series cars? I like these doors. They add to the "coolness" of a subway car. Wish the T1s had them...

Does anybody know if the new Toronto Rocket cars will feature doors that close quickly 90% of the way and then slow down for the rest, as in the H6 series cars? I like these doors. They add to the "coolness" of a subway car. Wish the T1s had them...

Personally i think that's annoying, but it most likely has something to do with the mechanism, and how it's designed rather than making them do that on purpose.

Back in the mid '90s, I vaguely remember boarding an H1 at North York Centre that had been retrofitted with hard dark blue plastic seats. I assume this was an attempt to reduce vandalism to the usual vinyl seats. Can anyone shed some light on this "experiment" by the TTC?

Personally i think that's annoying, but it most likely has something to do with the mechanism, and how it's designed rather than making them do that on purpose.

What is design if not an attempt to make something do something on purpose?