SD160 Deliveries and Spottings

M. Parsons

That's cuz 30 years ago, the route 2 was a diesel that ran from Churchill Square to 124 st/102 ave :P

Or maybe that was 29 years ago lol

[2 Oliver] and [2 Churchill Sq.] They could have run that with a trolley if they had wanted to. I thought they did at one time. I remember going from 122 Street and 102 Avenue WB and turning SB onto 124 Street in a trolley. Or was I on some good drugs then :(

[2 Oliver] and [2 Churchill Sq.] They could have run that with a trolley if they had wanted to. I thought they did at one time. I remember going from 122 Street and 102 Avenue WB and turning SB onto 124 Street in a trolley. Or was I on some good drugs then :(

I think it may have been trolley for one sign-up, but then they wanted the 2's as

spare buses for emergencies. I drove the #2 a few different sign-ups, and I

was taken off the route 2 or 3 times for an emergency replacement on another route.

I think it may have been trolley for one sign-up, but then they wanted the 2's as

spare buses for emergencies. I drove the #2 a few different sign-ups, and I

was taken off the route 2 or 3 times for an emergency replacement on another route.

Good idea, have it do something useful, until such time as it has something more important to do. Oh wait, that sounds like fleet utilization. Can't have that. What was I thinking. :( <blonde moment>

Get over it....the trolleys are gone. Move on with your lives.

As a side note, how about throwing your hats into the political ring next election. That way you can make all the "right" decisions for the citizens of Edmonton.

As a side note, how about throwing your hats into the political ring next election. That way you can make all the "right" decisions for the citizens of Edmonton.

Hey Uwe... how come it took you so long to respond but yet you couldnt shut your mouth before?????

How do you know its the right decision for Edmonton? I don't see you running for council.

I'm sure you support the dirty coal powered LRT cars eh.

The entrance pyramids, the art gallery. im sure thats all good for the city too right?

They are discussing a historical aspect of our transit system.

I fail to see how or why any of what they were talking about relates to recent decisions, or being elected to City Council.

(I am under the assumption you are replying to the few posts directly above yours, as you did not quote any other messages)

Hey Uwe... how come it took you so long to respond but yet you couldnt shut your mouth before?????

How do you know its the right decision for Edmonton? I don't see you running for council.

I'm sure you support the dirty coal powered LRT cars eh.

The entrance pyramids, the art gallery. im sure thats all good for the city too right?

I thought I would wait until the flow of tears stopped before I made any comments.

Nobody knows what the right decision is until you step back and look at it several years in the future then you can say " we did the right thing or we did the wrong thing or we should have done that differently". No I didn't run for council, just like you, so you can bitch and complain all you want but until your butt is in that council chair making all the key decisions I would suggest you just sit back, take a deep breath and relax, then when the next election rolls around you can run for office.

So now its dirty coal powered LRT cars!!! This was the same dirty coal power you supported so strongly for the trolleys and that was okay? You sir are an idiot.

They are discussing a historical aspect of our transit system.

I fail to see how or why any of what they were talking about relates to recent decisions, or being elected to City Council.

(I am under the assumption you are replying to the few posts directly above yours, as you did not quote any other messages)

correct....I was responding to above mentioned quotes.

So now its dirty coal powered LRT cars!!! This was the same dirty coal power you supported so strongly for the trolleys and that was okay? You sir are an idiot.

Language like that won't make you friends Uwe.

im just quoting what most people who spoke negatively about the trolleys said. I never ever ever once said that coal power was not dirty. i have said Epcor has some of the cleanest coal plants but it's still dirty and just like the trolleys, the LRT runs from it. Oh wait so does your house and your little charger for your big wheel!

Uwe... At least i was involved in this fight. at least i attended meetings to voice my opinions. at least i spoke to councillers about it. where were you for the hearings? or was it that you had nothing legitimate to say. no evidence to follow your claims? Just like Dr Chuckle and Boozers Allen, they say one thing to one person and another to another person.

If it's good for the future to get rid of the system, why is Toronto and many other city's now revisiting the idea to return trolleys to their systems? Edmonton voted to remove theirs. can you tell me any other systems that are doing that in the past 8-10 years?

You sir have totally proven your idiocy here. Me? I know what i say is the truth and because many people on here and off of here have the evidence to prove that trolleys are an important part of the future, i think you should just go back to your little corner. do your happy dance and come visit me when the bus doesn't show up at your house because a) we can't afford the fuel to operate them or :( There is just no fuel or c) You are sick with cancer caused by the Clean diesel exhaust.

Uwe... At least i was involved in this fight. at least i attended meetings to voice my opinions. at least i spoke to councillers about it. where were you for the hearings? or was it that you had nothing legitimate to say. no evidence to follow your claims? Just like Dr Chuckle and Boozers Allen, they say one thing to one person and another to another person.

I would assume it's tougher to agree with something being presented, than it is to go and fight it. The few times I've been to hearings and spoken, I've been speaking against administration.

I might be speaking at the July 3 hearing in support of the RGS. Obviously, I can't just stand up there and say, "I agree with it, do it", yet, that's all some people might have to say in support of any particular item. That's often why you hear people speaking against administration, and not for administration.

I believe even a councillor said something to that effect on June 18.

Spotted what may be the next SD160 in the Alyth yard in Calgary today (on the western side of the yard, about 1/4 the way along). Didn't have time to stop and double check, but it was under a blue tarp and looked to be about the right size.

This is about the closest "interior" shot I have...

sd160intr.jpg

Looks like the current seating arrangements that the U2s have..

So now its dirty coal powered LRT cars!!! This was the same dirty coal power you supported so strongly for the trolleys and that was okay?

According to the report, the city, and you, "The expert" yes....

• Board Admin

sots200808-01_072dpi.jpg

Sleek, modern and ready for riders

First Light Rail Transit vehicle unveiled in Edmonton

Erlangen, 2008-Jun-27

Siemens delivered the first of 37 SD 160 type right rail vehicles to the City of Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Now the first vehicle had its first public appearance at an unveiling event. The new trains will be used to service the South Light Rail Transit (LRT) extension as from spring 2009, and to increase ridership capacity on the City’s existing northern line. When the line is fully complete, LRT ridership is expected to double to 100,000 passengers per day.

"Expanding the LRT service will greatly improve Edmontonians’ quality of life and address the city’s tremendous growth pressures," said Thomas Lukaszuk, member of Legislative Assembly for Edmonton-Castle Downs. Edmonton’s Mayor Stephen Mandel said: "By investing in Edmonton’s LRT we’re not just investing vehicles or rail lines, we’re investing in a system that is sustainable. This is good for the environment and will increase the comfort of our passengers. Edmonton continues to grow and build for the future, so LRT ridership is expected to increase."

The first LRT car was shipped to Edmonton last month from its Siemens facility in Sacramento, California, USA. Its official unveiling marked the thirtieth anniversary of the formal event to accept delivery of the first LRT vehicle to Edmonton’s fleet. Before the first trains begin service this coming fall, they will undergo thorough testing.

The order from October 2005 is worth around 77 million euros. Funding for the vehicles, was provided by the Government of Canada through the Gas Tax Fund. In 2008-2009, the City Edmonton will receive more than 130 million euros (210 million Canadian dollars) from the Alberta Municipal Infrastructure Fund and the City Transportation Fund for its LRT project. These grant funding programs are designed to provide support for priority municipal infrastructure projects including transportation and public transit undertakings such as the LRT lines and vehicles. The City of Edmonton provides funding for the South LRT Extension and LRT vehicles through local taxes and borrowing.

Source: http://w1.siemens.com/press/en/pressreleas...mo200806036.htm

--------------------------------------

Edmonton’s New State-of-the-Art Light Rail Transit Vehicle Unveiled

June 23, 2008

Edmonton, Alberta - As the City of Edmonton continues to grow and build for the future, the first of 37 new Light Rail Transit (LRT) vehicles ordered by the City has made its first public appearance this morning at an unveiling event at the D.L. MacDonald Maintenance Facility. The event also marks the thirtieth anniversary of the formal event to accept delivery of the first LRT vehicle to Edmonton’s fleet.

“Edmonton’s public transportation system represents the kind of environmentally sustainable infrastructure that cities must adopt. This recent growth and development of the city’s LRT system is an example of how the federal Gas Tax Fund supports important economic and environmental infrastructure projects in Canada,” said Laurie Hawn, MP for Edmonton Centre and Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Defence, on behalf of the Honourable Lawrence Cannon, Minister of Transport, Infrastructure and Communities.

“The Government of Alberta is proud to contribute to this Edmonton project through the City Transportation Fund and the Alberta Municipal Infrastructure Program,” said Thomas Lukaszuk, MLA for Edmonton-Castle Downs. “Expanding the LRT service will greatly improve Edmontonians’ quality of life and address the city’s tremendous growth pressures.”

“By investing in Edmonton’s LRT we are not just investing vehicles or rail lines, we are investing in a system that is sustainable, is good for the environment and will increase the comfort of our passengers,” said Mayor Stephen Mandel.

The 37 vehicles will be used to service the South LRT extension (scheduled to open new stations in April 2009 to South Campus and in April 2010 to Century Park), and to increase ridership capacity on the City’s existing Health Sciences to north Edmonton line. When the line is fully complete, LRT ridership is expected to double to 100,000 passengers per day.

“It is the City of Edmonton’s dedication to innovation and reliability that has continued to drive our continued strong partnership for over three decades,” said Mario Péloquin, Director Business Development, Siemens Canada Limited, Transportation Systems. “Building on thirty years of technology, today our vehicles meet even higher standards for operational safety, reliability and environmental protection, bringing the best in LRT

Transportation technology to Edmonton.”

The first LRT car was shipped to Edmonton last month by Siemens, from its facility in Sacramento, California -- Siemens Centre of Competence for light rail transit. The LRT vehicles will undergo thorough testing to ensure they meet the City’s operating requirements and specifications. The first trains begin service this coming fall.

Funding for the vehicles was provided by the Government of Canada through the Gas Tax Fund. To date, the City of Edmonton has received more than $43 million through this fund.

Through its Building Canada Plan, the Government of Canada extended the Gas Tax Fund for an additional four years to 2014, providing $8 billion to municipalities across the country. Budget 2008 announced that the Gas Tax Fund will become permanent beyond 2014 at $2 billion per year, which will provide municipalities, such as Edmonton, with stable funding for their infrastructure needs.

The City of Edmonton also receives provincial funding for its LRT project through the ongoing Alberta Municipal Infrastructure Program and the City Transportation Fund. In 2008-2009, the City Edmonton will receive more than $210 million from the Alberta Municipal Infrastructure Fund and the City Transportation Fund. These grant funding programs are designed to provide support for priority municipal infrastructure projects including transportation and public transit undertakings such as the LRT lines and vehicles.

The City of Edmonton provides funding for the South LRT Extension and LRT vehicles through local taxes and borrowing. The federal gas tax fund will be used to help repay this borrowing.

Source: http://www.infrastructure.gc.ca/ip-pi/gas-...dmonton_e.shtml

----------

Ran across this image too:

tn_ca-edmonton-sd160-sacramento.jpg

Edmonton light rail vehicle unveiled

27 Jun 2008

CANADA: The first of 37 Siemens SD160 cars ordered to double the fleet size in advance of the opening of Edmonton's South Line light rail extension was publicly unveiled on June 23.

The €77m contract was awarded to Siemens in October 2005, partly funded through fuel taxes. The first vehicle was shipped from the manufacturer's Sacramento plant during May. The high-floor cars have a slightly modified and more streamlined cab end compared to earlier SD160 builds.

SD160 cars under construction Following testing the cars are due to enter service this autumn, ready for the opening of the C$675m South Line extension as far as the University of Alberta's South Campus on April 26 2009. A further extension to Century Park will follow on April 25 2010.

'Expanding the LRT service will greatly improve Edmontonians' quality of life and address the city's tremendous growth pressures,' said council member Thomas Lukaszuk.

Source: http://www.railwaygazette.com/news_view/ar...e_unveiled.html