SD160 Deliveries and Spottings

M. Parsons

I did walk by your office... but didnt' see you.

#3850... this time I took my memory card.

Turns out it does have a Scharfenberg coupler, and the coupling connected to the flatcar is not a regular type E coupler, but rather some sort of drawbar.

DSC00868.jpg

DSC00869.jpg

DSC00874.jpg

I seem to recall reading something somewhere about using an exisiting SD160 to tow the new SD160's into DLM, as the couplers will work out just fine

The SDs in Calgary have a "tow mode" function. It's pretty cool when activated, the train has more torque between 0-15km/h and the train is limited to half speed (40km/h) and dynamic braking is also enhanced. The trains have so much more torque that if the wheels start to slip when towing, sand will drop to the rails to automaticly help for traction. It would make sense to use a SD to move a disabled SD back to D.L. They have so many more features (and more leg room) then the old U2s, ETS lrt operators will love them! SD160s are so fun to drive :D !

• Board Admin

Don't the U2s have a tow mode as well? Might be a little different in operation though...

1040 is still in position with 3850. No action at Cromdale. (Well, there's a couple of semis and equipment in the yard.)

have so many more features (and more leg room) then the old U2s

Well, I tend to disagree with leg room. Although, I don't mind the SD160's, I prefer a U2. Now, that is Calgary's SD-160's. Edmonton will have the same seating set up as Edmonton's and Calgary's U2's.

Features.... you should see the features Edmonton's car has. Calgary's cars are stripped down versions by comparison.

Don't the U2s have a tow mode as well? Might be a little different in operation though...

They sure do. I won't post where it is... just in case some nutcase reading the board descided to try to screw with a U2, although, I believe you still need a key to operate it.

I believe the tow mode is similiar, if not identical to what LRT posted. It seemed the fasted 1040 got was about 40 km/h. I assume that's on a straight away with no grades.

• Board Admin

I believe the tow mode is similiar, if not identical to what LRT posted. It seemed the fasted 1040 got was about 40 km/h. I assume that's on a straight away with no grades.
1040 moved?

• Board Admin

Well, I don't know how they did it wrapped, but she is indeed gone. (Maybe they come delivered in tow mode?)

Flatcar is parked back beside Coliseum Station, and 3850 was parked on its rubber wheels right beside the station.

Could not spot it from the mainline.

James says 1040 (still wrapped) was moved to DLM, bay 29.

DLM only has 15 or 16 bays IIRC... and even then, that's counting the open track next to DLM as track 1 (note, doors start at 2).

Further, they need to have access to the lower panels by the trucks to lower the vehicles

Finally, they need to at least pull the at least the wrap off of the south windshield for the reverse move into DLM.

I could see an SD-160 inside DLM. It almost looked like it was plain white.

Hi All

Ok it was the 2nd last door to the east in the north side.

The car is indeed in there under wraps. i was going over the bridge when i saw it. i did go by twice and indeed it is in there and on the track.

I think he was referring to the legroom in the cab, but I'm not sure. :)

yup, in the cab, the SDs are 6' longer too

They sure do. I won't post where it is... just in case some nutcase reading the board descided to try to screw with a U2, although, I believe you still need a key to operate it.

You must be talking about me :D

Wow, it's been a few weeks since the last one arrived... considering the first two came in fairly quickly, on each others tails.

On each others couplers... :lol: Actually the deliveries have been fairly consistent, not like the trolley deliveries in Wellington NZ. Their deliveries have been very erratic, however things are supposed to speed up because they are supposed to have all their new units by sometime in October.