Brampton Transit/Züm

Gil

5 hours ago, MaT said:

Do you know if 0830 has been painted up yet?  Just out of curiosity

0830 is delivered long time now and it had a full body repaint along with decals being added

Also forgot to mention this but transit is testing out United Safety G2A seats with USSC's infinity rise semi-active suspension. 1916 (for Clark) and 1251 (for sandalwood) are the test busses, it's unknown for how long they plan to test these seats but the test has been ongoing for the past 3 weeks now

I was lucky enough to get 1916 while fueling, the seat bottom adjustments is air operated now however the seat back honestly is as hard as a rock. So hopefully these are a unanimous NO amongst the operators. Just my personal 2 cents

20231026_203150_HDR.jpg

20231026_203200_HDR.jpg

20231026_203206_HDR.jpg

20231026_203231.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, G.A said:

No you are right! 0830 is the artic.

0830 is not the artic it's a D40LF. Ex-LTC 159 to be exact, it's still in the B garage as we speak

6 hours ago, MaT said:

I just realized I made a mistake. I asked about 0830, but I was referring to the Artic from London. I forgot the number was different.

Also the artic is believed to still be with MTB. It still has not been delivered yet

3 hours ago, MaT said:

If I had to guess I'd say after the holidays. A lot of times it takes a few months to get buses ready for service

This likely will be the case, the GRT units all have licensing along with 0830. All units that have licensing also have interior next stop displays installed

However the Nova's still need to have driver shields installed which need to be sourced new. This may hold back their service entry until the shields start to come in

There's also the Smart bus driver units which as of right now either will be sourced from spare units with parts or may have to run without them as those units cannot be freshly produced any longer and the software was declared obsolete by the provider months prior

1 hour ago, BramptonTransitFan84 said:

0830 is not the artic it's a D40LF. Ex-LTC 159 to be exact, it's still in the B garage as we speak.

Thanks for the heads up. I just based it off of Wiki as 0830 is listed as the 60 foot. Hopefully these come into service soon. I'm currently off for a bit.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2023 at 12:59 PM, Ed T. said:

Is there any reason known for the Wajax facility on Evans looking like a Züm yard with around 15 units seen there on the weekend?

Most likely mass refurbishment work being done as these are probably the multiple units spotted in flatbeds a while back

Also Wajax and Skydome are the two contracted vendors for refurbishments but they could be getting other jobs done too

6 hours ago, BramptonTransitFan84 said:

Most likely mass refurbishment work being done as these are probably the multiple units spotted in flatbeds a while back

Also Wajax and Skydome are the two contracted vendors for refurbishments but they could be getting other jobs done too

Ah, that makes sense. Most of the units there are between 10 and 13 years old to go by fleet numbers. It would be a pretty alarming amount of breakdowns if they were there for repairs (which is what TTC units are there for).

• Like 1

On 11/2/2023 at 3:17 PM, BramptonTransitFan84 said:

Kinda forgot to note these but at clark, 0913 & 0915 have been refurbished. 1110 is also undergoing a refurb but for some reason its talking long (hasn't been seen since Oct of last year and still is noted as "refurb" on the off-list)

Also I should add to this. It seems like all of the 2009 units are getting refurbished, 0912 just went out to Skydome for a refurb making it 3 Clark units now and a majority of the Sandalwood 2nd and 3rd gen 09's have been refurbished.

Skydome is the vendor tasked with the work although in my opinion they don't really seem to do the greatest work because I find they screw up things like the rear engine control (0913 constantly flashes low coolant even when full, never did that pre-refurb) and the service brake pedals are rather stiff but with a funky area of sensitivity, engines also whine like crazy (I'm assuming that's turbo seals?) and on 0915 either they bolted the seat too far back or never bothered to fix it

Could be that all these items need to break in but conspiring them to a new Nova service brake pedal feel (which is exactly the same as any other Nova) there is a better application feel left to be desired and that coolant item is annoying because unlike the flyers with a surge tank, turning on the rear engine controls is the only way to quickly check the coolant level to fill for servicing

• Like 1

On 11/13/2023 at 4:14 AM, BramptonTransitFan84 said:

The units being seen on flatbeds are going to New Flyer's Arnprior facility to have their artic joints replaced. If a bus has to travel more than 100KMs from transit's facilities then they must not be towed. All the local shops around here can have buses towed to. 

New Flyer has a 3 year contract (from 2022) to replace the joints on the 2012-2016 XDE60s.

Skydome has a 3 year contract (from 2022) for bus refurbishments on the 2009 Nova LFS and 2010-2012 New Flyer 40' buses. 

Skydome and MTB have a 3 year contract (from 2020) for as-needed structural and body repairs to buses, with Skydome having a much larger share of work than MTB. 

Wajax is the sole authorized vendor for Allison Hybrid Drive and Energy Storage System repairs, but they also perform Allison automatic transmission repairs/rebuilds/replacements.

The current 3 year engine/transmission repair/rebuild/replacement contract is about to expire and with a tender already having closed for the work, but it is not yet awarded. Assuming past trends hold true pretty much every sublet shop will got some share of the work. (City-View, MBCTR, MTB, Tarten, Wajax).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/18/2023 at 1:30 PM, Articulated said:

0427 is currently parked at Wajax in Etobicoke.

Its there for the semi-annual inspection. It still runs & drives fine!

On 11/19/2023 at 12:30 PM, MT0603 said:

New Flyer has a 3 year contract (from 2022) to replace the joints on the 2012-2016 XDE60s.

I find it funny how they are doing joint replacements on the 12' & 13' XDE60's because if I recall correctly there was talk of the service life span for those to be dropped to 12 years instead of 16-18 years and assuming that change is true, it would be ironic for said work to be done (which is a major job) only for them to retire 1-2 years later

Anyway we will just have to see what happens. Even with that being said transit desperately needs as many artics as they can get and I wouldn't be surprised if they ran the 12's and 13's right into the ground until the very end

• Root Admin
On 11/22/2023 at 10:13 PM, BramptonTransitFan84 said:

Its there for the semi-annual inspection. It still runs & drives fine!

I find it funny how they are doing joint replacements on the 12' & 13' XDE60's because if I recall correctly there was talk of the service life span for those to be dropped to 12 years instead of 16-18 years and assuming that change is true, it would be ironic for said work to be done (which is a major job) only for them to retire 1-2 years later

Anyway we will just have to see what happens. Even with that being said transit desperately needs as many artics as they can get and I wouldn't be surprised if they ran the 12's and 13's right into the ground until the very end

Brampton apparently has zero plans for any upcoming retirements. They will be on the hunt for more used buses in the new year. There are a few 40ft and 60ft ZUM units spotted today at NFI service centre in Arnprior. No doubt the lower frame rails on the Xcelsior needs replacing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/24/2023 at 7:00 PM, ORION said:

Brampton apparently has zero plans for any upcoming retirements. They will be on the hunt for more used buses in the new year. There are a few 40ft and 60ft ZUM units spotted today at NFI service centre in Arnprior. No doubt the lower frame rails on the Xcelsior needs replacing.

So they are still on the hunt for used busses then, any idea if more artics are planned or are they going to just keep looking for 40 footers?

Would be nice to see at least 3-4 local artics join the D60LF. Only problem is that Mississauga is the only source for those without having to go insanely far to get used units

Also 0914 is off property at Skydome to begin it's refurb joining 0912

Brampton is seeking public input for the redevelopment of the Downtown Brampton Terminal.

Here's the deck of presentation materials.  The proposals themselves start at page 40.

The materials suggest a possibility of an underground connection to the Hurontario LRT, but there's no indication of it on any of the maps.  They likely haven't gotten that far on the location of an underground station if they choose to go that way.

• Like 1

Reading the 2024 City of Brampton budget, here is the takeaway:

• 136 new transit operators to be hired and 108,500 additional new service hours added
  • $78.4 million dollars set aside for refurbishment and purchase of new buses
  • Zum service expansion to Bramalea Rd corridor ($3.8 million dollars)

Page 16 is the transit summary. Page 429 is where Brampton Transit budget starts. 

https://www1.brampton.ca/EN/City-Hall/Budget/Documents/2024 Proposed Budget.pdf

Final comments:

A pretty massive investment if approved of course. Especially working to refurbish existing buses along with the purchase of new ones to handle expanded service increases. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a note that 0830 has all the needed equipment and licensing for it to likely enter service. They just need to install the items and finish up any other testing and modifications they are doing, so I would recommend keeping an eye out for it towards the end of the month if not early January

However I would recommend taking what I say with a grain of salt as I am not sure if they intend to roll them out in a batch as apposed to one by one whenever they are ready