Vancouver general sightings and notes

Enviro 500

I didn't see any TP's at any skytrains after what I saw.

You're right, I'll make a report first thing tomorrow morning.

Good, but just for the record, you can text GVTAPS whenever you witness something wrong at 87-77-77, or you can call them at (604) 515-8300.

Good, but just for the record, you can text GVTAPS whenever you witness something wrong at 87-77-77, or you can call them at (604) 515-8300.

Hmmm, I didn't know you could text them, thanks man. I'll keep these numbers in mind when ever I see some sort of incident.

Some how I feel like PTC currently have too many CNG buses to a point that they don't run as much D60LF anymore. Maybe its just me, but now I hardly see any 60ft bus on 97 and 160 (which they used to have about 1/2 to 1/3 artic), and the artic run on the 190 I take almost always got replaced by a XN40.

Looking at tcomm, seems that many of PTC artics are seldomly used since Jan/Apr, for as little as 3 or 5 days for the past 2 weeks. There are 6 or 7 of them that has not been in service for weeks to up to 5 months. I always wonder what happens to them...

These were on the track for assignment this afternoon.

7161f0c855ed5553709e603d50f33611.jpg8b7672192e5f64bb99436526e62351fc.jpg

Sent from a Galaxy far far away...

uploadfromtaptalk1433827960021.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1433827989843.jpg

They have been breaking down a lot lately, the far b/o track is usually filled with artics.

Was going up Gaglardi Way this evening, I looked over and saw 8099 dead on the side of the road on Broadway. 8096 ended up taking over according to T-Comm.

Was going up Gaglardi Way this evening, I looked over and saw 8099 dead on the side of the road on Broadway. 8096 ended up taking over according to T-Comm.

8099 just came out of overhaul about a month ago.. Rebuilt motor, new paint job etc ... It's already having overheating issues. Today was a fuel leak.

Sent from a Galaxy far far away...

Articulated buses require more maintenance than an ordinary bus. Again, I will reiterate the fact that these buses have a 15 year lifespan (17 with a rebuild) though keep in mind that many of these buses were frequently used on hilly terrain so it’s a miracle that they aren’t breaking down more often [cited by a CMBC mechanic].

My guess is that those units at the PTC are being partially stored (this is sometimes the case in Surrey where several units just sit there for weeks).

I don't know if it's just me or not, or if it's just service adjustments, but the PoCo runs for the 135 Burrard Stn/SFU in the mornings were D40LFs (before XN40s came in) and C40LFRs, with one or two runs being D60LFs. But now, all runs are D60LFs.

I don't know if it's just me or not, or if it's just service adjustments, but the PoCo runs for the 135 Burrard Stn/SFU in the mornings were D40LFs (before XN40s came in) and C40LFRs, with one or two runs being D60LFs. But now, all runs are D60LFs.

Ridership on those trips most likely justify D60LF.

It has ways been a constant state of flux what's on those PTC Burnaby trips. When I started at SFU, long ago (10 years) it was always Classics. The next year only D60 / D60LF, then it turned into whatever was running, and when I finished my final degree in 2009 it was back to exclusive attics. Seems to be the best they can do under the circumstances is still order of the day.

Articulated buses require more maintenance than an ordinary bus. Again, I will reiterate the fact that these buses have a 15 year lifespan (17 with a rebuild) though keep in mind that many of these buses were frequently used on hilly terrain so it’s a miracle that they aren’t breaking down more often [cited by a CMBC mechanic].

My guess is that those units at the PTC are being partially stored (this is sometimes the case in Surrey where several units just sit there for weeks).

They need more maintenance than a 40ft bus in the sense that there is one more axle (with all the assorted parts) and the turntable/joint and its complexities that need to be maintained.

I would not say that "hilly terrain" is a reason for them to be breaking down more often. If there is a reason why reliability on the 15+ year old D60LFs in Vancouver seemingly stinks, it is because they have been run flat out, on the 98, 99, and 135 for almost their entire lives. These are some of the most demanding services in North America re: passenger loads, and these buses have been doing yeoman's work on those routes for way too many years. It is past time for them to be retired.

"Partially stored" - what does that even mean? Is that something CMBC is able to do given their funding source and constraints on capital?