Vancouver general sightings and notes

Enviro 500

OMFG, enough already! These are two-line signs! Use them!

I know you guys are saying, "Oh, old people and vision-impaired people can't read two-line signs", but you know what? I can't read "Pt Mdy Ilet Ctr"! And I won't even get into the practice of just giving the (cryptically-encoded) destination with no hint of where the bus goes to get there...

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, Dane said:

Today I saw Transit Security giving out tickets on the 99. I'd never seen this before; has the Security side always had power to ticket? 

For some time now some, but not all, Security personnel have had the power to ticket.  I have been told that they usually travel in teams of two or more and at least one member of the team has a ticket book.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Dane said:

Today I saw Transit Security giving out tickets on the 99. I'd never seen this before; has the Security side always had power to ticket? 

Two weeks ago, three Transit Security officers boarded the route 49 bus I was on because the driver noticed half the people were boarding through the rear doors. They checked the people starting from the articulating joint to the rear. I also saw a middle-aged Asian woman almost falling when the rear door closed on her. In total, 5 people were ticketed. Oh, the karma...

B8137 broke down this morning on the way up to SFU, in perhaps the worst location possible - on Gaglardi Way, just around the bend after you go through the roundabout where University Drive meets Gaglardi coming the other way. The reason this location is awkward is that it's a massive blind curve. When I came up on my first trip as a 144, the operator was just putting out the orange triangles, and there was steam coming out of the back of the bus. (It wasn't until my second trip that I also noticed that a spill kit had been deployed.) I did also observe what looked like fresh damage on the left side of the coach near the rearmost wheel well, but I don't believe this was related.

That being said... when I was on my way down the mountain, I could see traffic backing up on Gaglardi past the roundabout, and then a text came through from T-Comm warning that there was an MVA there. The most likely scenario: someone went around the blind curve too fast, didn't see the bus sitting there until it was almost too late, swerved and collided with another vehicle in lane 2. Pure speculation though.

4 minutes ago, Blue Bus Fan said:

TransLink could chose to built another SeaBus in next few years because they have contract to design an another SeaBus for expansion: 

http://www.translink.ca/en/About-Us/Doing-Business-with-TransLink/Bidding-Opportunities/Open-Bids/Q16-183.aspx

If the mayor's council votes yes to the plan next week.  Apparently the public has been supporting of the plan and the monetary increases for the most part.  The majority seems to say just get on with it, we want results.  The only thing the public seems to be against is the fare increases.  After looking at the chart in the article I read earlier today, the increases aren't that bad if you have stored value or a monthly pass.  I'd be willing to pay the increases if I was a regular transit user and had to pay my fare.

I wonder if ten minutes at peak on SeaBus will happen right away with 15 minutes alll day excluding peak hours. 

That is good to know that public supports the plan. I wonder if the service improvements will happen with the first service change in 2017 because off peak on buses, SkyTrain and SeaBus would be easy to get done since we have the fleet already. 

I was at Metrotown this PM so here are my notes

-The easternmost exit has no validators - you have to walk to the westernmost exit to tap and back to the crossing

-The westernmost crosswalk is the more crowded one.

-The part of the footbridge above the bus loop is still open - the stairs off to the side towards the parking entrance are open too. 

-The crosswalk into the bus loop saw a bunch of people cut the corner into the bus loop - Even saw one guy sprint across just as the light turned red. 2 buses used their horns on other occasions. It's like Granville and Georgia again, I'd say.

-Also at the same location, there is nothing (no markings) separating the passengers and Central Boulevard. It becomes problematic especially if and when the station side becomes crowded and people drive by at not even 50kph - Underestimate where you are standing and you could be clipped by a car.

So if this is General sightings, I will post all the buses I saw today:

16003: 410 22nd St IMG_0862.jpg

16011: 410 Railway via Richmond Ctr IMG_0865.jpg

S509: C94 Brighouse Stn IMG_0867.jpg

9447: 430 Metrotown Stn EXPRESS IMG_0868.jpg

7441: 403 Bridgeport Stn IMG_0876.jpg

FOR WIKI EDITOR: feel free to use my photos on the wiki

FOR OTHERS: contact me at my email bpjeff@shaw.ca

5 minutes ago, Peter M said:

Spotted a 2012 XDE60 driving through Victoria Drive. It stopped at bus stops though.

According to T-Comm, V12010 is currently on the #3 and V12024 is on the #20. Both runs look like short PM runs, so I guess it's the yard using what it had to make bookout.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, GORDOOM said:

According to T-Comm, V12010 is currently on the #3 and V12024 is on the #20. Both runs look like short PM runs, so I guess it's the yard using what it had to make bookout.

Exactly the case. Too many E60LFRs in maintenance according to the driver. You had me running out of Best Buy to take pictures LOL thanks for the heads up

Photos and a small takeoff will be uploaded tonight.

• Like 2