TTC's CAD/AVL "Vision" System

6 hours ago, MK78 said:

"V" I imagine is the buses already converted, and M & O are different Vision kits for the slightly different generation of NovaBus that Birchmount has. "S" has me wondering because its in the middle of the 85xx series which should be the same?

8503 is one of the last buses of the first batch of LFSes. 8510-8617 are a completely different order, despite the very, very minimal differences in appearances 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bus_7246 said:

8503 is one of the last buses of the first batch of LFSes. 8510-8617 are a completely different order, despite the very, very minimal differences in appearances

But is it not the very last bus of the order so who knows 

2 hours ago, transportationtoronto said:

Now this is simply speculation so don't bite my arm off, but perhaps the "S" means 8503 may be receiving the LCD screens?

What it probably might mean is the type of TRUMP kit that was installed on that vehicle since it belongs to the 8400-8504 series.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, leylandvictory2 said:

A mock up version of vision unit showed up at Eglinton today so the vision installation at Eglinton should be starting relatively soon

Not an ice cube’s chance in hell until the current issues are sorted.

• Thanks 3

40 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

Basically erratic behavior in general. The only consistent symptom is inconsistency. Even clever Is scratching their heads.

I see... But it's not like this is a new system, or new implementation. It's used in other transit authorities. Or did the TTC request features that were outside of the typical setup?

As a passenger, and limited exposure to the relative new rollout of Vision at Birchmount fleet, I've only encountered one weirdness of a VISION equipped bus, was the visual LED sign anomaly I mentioned earlier in the thread, and it had no stop announcement. I think that was possibly just the sign losing connection with the system and just defaulting to a "test pattern" screen and the clock with the wrong time on it.

You can do a simple web search for Clever Devices on YouTube and you'll see quite a few results, the most obvious being this training video for Ann Arbor, Michigan, which has an almost-identical UI as the TTC's (save for the TTC's lack of farebox linkage and the relocation of various controls at the top.)

It's interesting to note how OC Transpo and other agencies use a vastly different layout that is main text-driven rather than graphics-based.

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, transportationtoronto said:

Does anyone know the back up plan for vehicles that don't have vision by the end of the month? There's more that I would think (if this is up there somewhere, I haven't seen it so sorry in advance)

I heard there is a back up plan of sorts but I won't be posting what it is. Btw the more I drive with vision the more I like it. Just need to wait for all the issues to get worked out and all supervisors to get trained to use it properly. 

1 hour ago, Someguy3071 said:

Btw the more I drive with vision the more I like it. Just need to wait for all the issues to get worked out and all supervisors to get trained to use it properly. 

What are the things that you like about it? What part of the job does it make easier? Does it help you stay on time better vs Trump units?

Well let's see. All the info I need is right there on the unit. All my departure times and timing points on route. I don't have to change the destination sign because it does it for me. There is a list of all the stop on route if I need to look them up for any reason. Navigation feature is nice to have even though I haven't used it yet. Navigation also shows upcoming stop if you're not familiar with the route.  Messages are much easier to read then on a Trump. You can now make external announcements which couldn't be done before. 

There are a few things I don't like too. The time shows in small size. Would be nice to have it a little larger. If I want people to move back or stay behind the white line before I just had to push one button, with vision it's slower and takes a few steps to get to the specific announcement so now I just yell it out instead. Pretrip inspection takes longer because it's now done on the vision unit. If you're taking over on the street the login takes a while to go through and if you start driving before it's fully done it kicks you out to the login screen and you have to repeat the process.  Another issue is that when you get short turned or if you're very late and the supervisor managing the line doesn't make necessary adjustments on their end stop announcement stops working and destination sign shows the wrong direction because the bus should be going in the opposite direction. It's not a fault with vision but supervisors not doing their part. 

That's all I can think of right now. 

• Thanks 1

Not to mention that the use of a robotic voice calling out stops brings back the all-too-familiar problem of mispronounced names, i.e. "Next Stop Brid-le-towne Circle West". Thankfully, this can and has been rectified this past week, presumably with a reconfiguration of the syllables the TTS uses. Not new to the TTC, after all: https://www.thestar.com/yourtoronto/the_fixer/2011/03/22/the_fixer_they_say_spadeenah_but_are_they_right.html

13 hours ago, Someguy3071 said:

Well let's see. All the info I need is right there on the unit. All my departure times and timing points on route. I don't have to change the destination sign because it does it for me. There is a list of all the stop on route if I need to look them up for any reason. Navigation feature is nice to have even though I haven't used it yet. Navigation also shows upcoming stop if you're not familiar with the route.  Messages are much easier to read then on a Trump. You can now make external announcements which couldn't be done before. 

There are a few things I don't like too. The time shows in small size. Would be nice to have it a little larger. If I want people to move back or stay behind the white line before I just had to push one button, with vision it's slower and takes a few steps to get to the specific announcement so now I just yell it out instead. Pretrip inspection takes longer because it's now done on the vision unit. If you're taking over on the street the login takes a while to go through and if you start driving before it's fully done it kicks you out to the login screen and you have to repeat the process.  Another issue is that when you get short turned or if you're very late and the supervisor managing the line doesn't make necessary adjustments on their end stop announcement stops working and destination sign shows the wrong direction because the bus should be going in the opposite direction. It's not a fault with vision but supervisors not doing their part. 

That's all I can think of right now. 

Yeah there's a few tricks to it. If you're used to the bus logging you off at where Vision has your relief point set, I usually just log the entire bus off first before arriving at said point. Then relogin (badge/RR/Bk) and the circle won't spin. 

Doing the same logout/in procedure can help change the "bus direction" based on the times of your waybill and restore stop announcements but it's not consistent. 

6 minutes ago, BusFreak93 said:

Yeah there's a few tricks to it. If you're used to the bus logging you off at where Vision has your relief point set, I usually just log the entire bus off first before arriving at said point. Then relogin (badge/RR/Bk) and the circle won't spin. 

Doing the same logout/in procedure can help change the "bus direction" based on the times of your waybill and restore stop announcements but it's not consistent.