Edmonton and Area spotting and news

t_harris01

57 minutes ago, Tcmetro said:

Not sure if this is the right place, but I seem to recall reading something years ago about how the Edmonton light rail was used to transport people to the city jail. Did this really happen and if so is there any other information?

AFAIK this was in the plans, but never materialized. There is a bit of track and a space under the Remand Center for a 'Future Station', (the Control Center still refers to it as that) but that's about it. Maybe someone else on here can elaborate further.

Found this..  https://edifyedmonton.com/urban/structures/future-station/

1 hour ago, captaintrolley said:

AFAIK this was in the plans, but never materialized. There is a bit of track and a space under the Remand Center for a 'Future Station', (the Control Center still refers to it as that) but that's about it. Maybe someone else on here can elaborate further.

Found this..  https://edifyedmonton.com/urban/structures/future-station/

Interesting stuff - thanks for sharing. I found a video online that shows some of the layout of "Future Station".

https://vimeo.com/123500624

I haven't been to Edmonton and I'm not terribly familiar with the city, but it seems that it isn't worth finishing out given the short distance to Churchill Station.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Slightly unrelated to this discussion but I am looking to change up the ETS page. 

What I plan on doing is adding what garage each route operates out of in each of the route's specific pages. This is similar to what is done on the CMBC page. This would help identify what buses are operated on which route. The problem is, I'm not native to Edmonton and only visit once in a while and therefore have no clue what garage operates which routes. If anyone has this sort of information it would be highly appreciated. If this goes well I might add a list of routes operated by each garage in the respective garage pages but also a list of buses operated by each garage. Thanks in advance for all the help!

15 minutes ago, Thomasw said:

Slightly unrelated to this discussion but I am looking to change up the ETS page. 

What I plan on doing is adding what garage each route operates out of in each of the route's specific pages. This is similar to what is done on the CMBC page. This would help identify what buses are operated on which route. The problem is, I'm not native to Edmonton and only visit once in a while and therefore have no clue what garage operates which routes. If anyone has this sort of information it would be highly appreciated. If this goes well I might add a list of routes operated by each garage in the respective garage pages but also a list of buses operated by each garage. Thanks in advance for all the help!

Transit55 should give you a pretty good idea, however if Edmonton operates anything like Calgary then the allocation could often greatly vary every few months.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thomasw said:

Great idea, but you will quickly find that most routes are operated out of multiple garages thanks to ETS' interlining practices. Check out Transit55 (like @Nick B) mentioned above and you will see what I mean... most blocks consist of 4-5 routes interlined all over the city. 

Garage assignments should be mostly up-to-date on the wiki already. Go to the pages for each bus series and the assignments for every unit are listed. I try to update that at least once per year according to the data presented by Transit55. There is still some guesswork involved though because Transit55 only estimates based on where the bus last went out of service, and ETS doesn't always assign entire numeric blocks of buses to specific garages.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Millgate is just a pile of rubble on the bus island.  Drove by there on the weekend and saw all the windows had been removed, and tonight there was a track hoe on site and what was left of the building was just piles on the concrete.  Curious what, if anything will move in there.

• 4 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, UprisingCanadian said:

Hey, Vancouverite here. I'm hearing that there is apparently a Solaris BEB over in Edmonton, supposedly wrapped/painted in the ETS livery. Is this true?

Side note: In Vancouver, we are demoing a Solaris trolleybus.

Haven't heard of one kicking around here. If there was one someone here would've mentioned it on CPTDB by now.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, brookiedbj said:

6016 tracking on block 009-16, currently 9 Eaux Claires. Guess they finally switched it on.

Same block again today, which is consistent with the signup bulletin.

DSC07742.thumb.JPG.431ada1158ac7e6328187b1a7b1d7fcd.JPG

17 hours ago, wt_enthusiast_photos said:

Idk where to put this so I’ll post it here 7231 and 7233 are in Winnipeg at New Flyer

75F19281-A0E3-4B75-9AC2-A3428D5647BB.thumb.jpeg.c931f2fc03bc6e2dc4e1c0eab641b19c.jpeg

Good choice. It at least partially answers our questions... previous budget indicated that we were getting 9 buses followed by another 18, but it didn't specify whether they were all arriving together or if it was truly two separate orders. Based on this information, my prediction is 7219-7245 (9+18=27) are on delivery.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/9/2023 at 10:25 AM, T6H-5307N said:

...previous budget indicated that we were getting 9 buses followed by another 18, but it didn't specify whether they were all arriving together or if it was truly two separate orders. Based on this information, my prediction is 7219-7245 (9+18=27) are on delivery.

With recent documents that were uncovered, we can now confirm that there should only be 18 buses after all... 7219-7236, with another small order scheduled for sometime next year. Not nearly enough in my opinion given how many buses are soon approaching and/or past the 20 year service mark, but at least they are getting something I suppose.

7219-24 and 7226-29 have entered service so far. These buses feature a new style of bike rack and yet ANOTHER new variety of seat for ETS... American Seating InSight Prime+ hard shell, like what is in the three Beaumont buses but with a different color of plastic.

1.thumb.jpg.a7137ee56cf2feb38ffcb0dd9c2012f7.jpg2.thumb.jpg.ee00b4e6e0fe92d3217a6df6bb8a8b85.jpg

Seating models currently in stock at ETS:

American Seating 6468 (plastic back)

American Seating 6468 (metal back)

American Seating 6466 (padded benches for Spruce Grove)

American Seating Metropolitan (with three different styles of seat insert)

American Seating InSight Prime+ (carpeted for Proterra, blue plastic for new XD's, purple plastic for Beaumont.)

American Seating Vision (7110-7218 and 4933-4967. 4753 was the prototype for these, featuring generic blue carpet in the front and hard shell in the back. It still has this configuration.)

4ONE Aries (with two different styles of seat insert if you count the vinyl version in 4924-4932, three if you count 4876 with the generic blue carpet in the front and hard shell in the back... demonstration configuration similar to 4753.)

4ONE Gemini (7000-7110, many with ETS carpet inserts added at the front)

Whatever Fainsa seats are in 2000-2048 (Vicinity)

That must be one helluva spare parts warehouse!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2023 at 3:19 PM, T6H-5307N said:

With recent documents that were uncovered, we can now confirm that there should only be 18 buses after all... 7219-7236, with another small order scheduled for sometime next year. Not nearly enough in my opinion given how many buses are soon approaching and/or past the 20 year service mark, but at least they are getting something I suppose.

7219-24 and 7226-29 have entered service so far. These buses feature a new style of bike rack and yet ANOTHER new variety of seat for ETS... American Seating InSight Prime+ hard shell, like what is in the three Beaumont buses but with a different color of plastic.

1.thumb.jpg.a7137ee56cf2feb38ffcb0dd9c2012f7.jpg2.thumb.jpg.ee00b4e6e0fe92d3217a6df6bb8a8b85.jpg

Seating models currently in stock at ETS:

American Seating 6468 (plastic back)

American Seating 6468 (metal back)

American Seating 6466 (padded benches for Spruce Grove)

American Seating Metropolitan (with three different styles of seat insert)

American Seating InSight Prime+ (carpeted for Proterra, blue plastic for new XD's, purple plastic for Beaumont.)

American Seating Vision (7110-7218 and 4933-4967. 4753 was the prototype for these, featuring generic blue carpet in the front and hard shell in the back. It still has this configuration.)

4ONE Aries (with two different styles of seat insert if you count the vinyl version in 4924-4932, three if you count 4876 with the generic blue carpet in the front and hard shell in the back... demonstration configuration similar to 4753.)

4ONE Gemini (7000-7110, many with ETS carpet inserts added at the front)

Whatever Fainsa seats are in 2000-2048 (Vicinity)

That must be one helluva spare parts warehouse!

My understanding (last I heard), is for a bunch of buses to be retired in a few years when the LRT to Lewis Farms is open. There will be less buses needed on certain routes because a bunch of buses will be shortened or cancelled completely. The way the route changes a couple years ago were designed was so that when both sides of the Valley Line were open and the extension south on the line from Century Park were operating that buses could be shortened to certain stations as well as cancelling certain routes. 

I could be wrong but my guess is they will take the really old buses and limp through the next few years with them before getting rid of them all together. 

I haven’t heard about any significant cancellations other than the route 700x and 900x. Of course the route 719 might be shortened to Heritage Valley but I’m not sure what else will be shortened.

perhaps there might also be frequency reductions on the route 2 and 7 but that’s difficult to say at this point. 

53 minutes ago, Yoho said:

I haven’t heard about any significant cancellations other than the route 700x and 900x. Of course the route 719 might be shortened to Heritage Valley but I’m not sure what else will be shortened.

perhaps there might also be frequency reductions on the route 2 and 7 but that’s difficult to say at this point. 

A big chunk of the 2 and 7 routes will be redundant once Valley Line West opens.  I could see them being combined into one route (WEM-95 Av-SPR-Jasper-Stadium.)  Just a guess on my part though.

1 hour ago, Lu Haobang said:

A big chunk of the 2 and 7 routes will be redundant once Valley Line West opens.  I could see them being combined into one route (WEM-95 Av-SPR-Jasper-Stadium.)  Just a guess on my part though.

I really hope not.  I take the rte 7 from 107 Ave to Unity Square Safeway.