Edmonton and Area spotting and news

t_harris01

2 hours ago, Innuendo said:

Is it just me or do the rear displays look different recently?

busemoji.jpg

They seem to have reprogrammed the Luminators. Definitely a different font now that has shown up in the last day or two. The fonts I saw on a couple of XD's seemed normal however. Didn't seem to notice much of a difference on the Bailos signs, but, that could also just mean the change wasn't as noticeable. 

First time I've seen that icon used before on a ETS bus.

8 hours ago, Innuendo said:

I don't know what a PRcode is sadly. But, it was one of those buses with no route, just a destination like "Clareview" or "Northgate".

A PR code is 'Public Relations' code - so in other words, a message other than just the route and destination. For example 'Happy Holidays', 'Take Transit' 'Go Eskimos'.

• Board Admin

A lot of the routes now have the rear signs showing the number statically (staying in one place) and a bolded number, rather than the previous skinnier font that alternated from the left side of the display to the right side of the display.

As of today, though, not all buses have the updated programming yet, or not all routes were re-programmed like that.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The city is revealing new details about $90 million in funding from the province for for transit through the Alberta Community Transit fund.

The city says the funding will be used for upgrades to the Stadium LRT station, planning and design of a new transit garage, purchases of additional electric buses, improvements to Park & Ride facilities, design for a new LRT station and upgrading Terwillegar Drive to an expressway.

“We’re excited with this investment. It allows ETS to purchase more electric buses, make transit centre improvements and, most importantly, build for the future,” said Eddie Robar, Branch Manager of Edmonton Transit Service in a written release. “The planning and design of a new transit garage is a critical step for ETS to grow our service, and would give us added flexibility and efficiency at other garages as well.”

The $90 million is part of an overall spend of $215 million in ACT funding for transit initiatives across the province.

The province says the funds will be paid from the Climate Leadership Plan for the first three years.  

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/city-reveals-how-90-million-in-transit-funding-will-be-spent-1.4326793

• Board Admin

Park & Ride is long overdue for south Edmonton with the parking stalls at Century Park being made less and less over the years. Since they mentioned it is at Ellerslie, I am assuming that's for the planned Heritage Valley station:

https://www.edmonton.ca/documents/July_2018_Capital_Line_South_Newsletter.pdf

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Imgursdownvote4love said:

Dead CAD, probably. There's a couple of Calgary XD40s like that, too. Namely 8251, 8254, and 8264.

Probably not considering no one has spotted it in service...

Given it's the last bus in the order, I would hazard a guess it's just some contractual details involving the accepting the last bus in the order and ETS just making sure everything is acceptable for the entire fleet before signing off on the bus.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/15/2019 at 10:55 AM, Matt Dunlop said:

This has probably been mentioned before, but I noticed the older Flyers (4345 in particular) have CCTV cameras now. Noticed it on an Edmonton dashcam video. 

Naw, you probably got the scoop on this one, for this venue anyways. So, +1 to you. For the benefit of this particular venue, everything 2000 and newer is equipped, with cameras, plus a handful of Ferrier 1999's. Ferrier was the last garage equipped with cameras, so presumably they just slapped whatever left over kits they had numerically into the "newest" 1999's once the newer compliment of Ferrier LF's were done. To be best of my knowledge, no other 1999's have cameras outside of Ferrier

FWIW, Ferrier was the first garage to purge the 1998 D40LF's.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2019 at 9:38 PM, A. Wong said:

Park & Ride is long overdue for south Edmonton with the parking stalls at Century Park being made less and less over the years. Since they mentioned it is at Ellerslie, I am assuming that's for the planned Heritage Valley station:

https://www.edmonton.ca/documents/July_2018_Capital_Line_South_Newsletter.pdf

Page 3 of .PDF: "This schedule may be adjusted now that a new hospital location south of Ellerslie Road has been announced. City Council has currently identified the Valley Line West and Metro Line from NAIT to Blatchford as the next priorities for LRT."

Would this "LRT station design" funding allocation be for Blatchford, or for the South? Unfortunately, CTV reporting is always vague... but citing the .PDF and balancing it with reality, it could be a 50/50?

28 minutes ago, armorand said:

Would this "LRT station design" funding allocation be for Blatchford, or for the South? Unfortunately, CTV reporting is always vague... but citing the .PDF and balancing it with reality, it could be a 50/50?

The new "LRT Station design" referenced is for a 40 Ave station to be inserted into the SLRT.

The recent funding was for the NLRT extension to Blatchford and the entire WLRT. What happens after Blatchford and WLRT is up in the air at this point. Depending upon how things play out, especially with available funding, it could either be NLRT or SLRT or both. Personally, I feel that the best choice is NLRT as it has more potential to get cars off the road and speed up transit trips into Downtown. In addition to the Ellerslie Road Park and Ride express buses, it sounds like express buses will be coming to Terwillegar Drive in some form once it's rebuilt which might well mean that there will be two higher order express bus services coming out of the south and feeding into the existing LRT which might delay the need to get LRT further south, while hopefully building up ridership for it.

If Future Station was ever built out it would have been side loading, and it was part of the original construction. I'd expect the 40 Ave station to be build side loading, if both new stations get built on the NE LRT for the Northland redevelopment, I could see side loading there too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/9/2019 at 9:34 PM, LRT said:

Very Calgary!

Minus the yellow/metallic safety gates - just seems kind of weird *not* to have pedestrian safety gates right next to a rail line. But then again, Calgary does have alot more accidents and incidents with the Train than I've ever heard coming out of Edmonton... looks interesting though, kind of looks like a modernized version of the station at SAIT - just curved roof instead of rectangular, and updated glass shelters (little less 80s)

• 2 weeks later...