Collisions and Incidents thread

Express691

Hwy 99 service horribly messed up earlier in the day after a car accident just before GM Tunnel. Most of the 351 and 620 service are now back on schedule; but 601 is not. 

Also on the 601; 2 Orion Vs broke down; 9262 (replaced with 9266) around noon; then 9236 around quarter to 6(replaced with 9697 - yes they did not use a suburban bus).

4 hours ago, Evan Hancock said:

Hwy 99 service horribly messed up earlier in the day after a car accident just before GM Tunnel. Most of the 351 and 620 service are now back on schedule; but 601 is not. 

Also on the 601; 2 Orion Vs broke down; 9262 (replaced with 9266) around noon; then 9236 around quarter to 6(replaced with 9697 - yes they did not use a suburban bus).

Took me 1.5 hours to get to the point where I could turn off onto 17A and scoot over to the AF Bridge, which was also backed up from Nordel all the way to Westminster because of a stalled car in the left lane.   Sheesh.

On 9/9/2019 at 8:11 PM, Evan Hancock said:

Something has happened to 7489. Cancelled the rest of its 342 from Hwy 10 at 177B St. I was waiting for it at 56 ave at Hwy 10.

And I talked to another bus driver (BTW it was my 1st ride on a 2019 XN40; 19101!) who passed by the intersection on another 342; he said that the bus had been towed away and there was leftover debris from fluid spills. Quite possibly involved in a collision. Lets hope CMBC doesn't retire it!

Follow up; that bus has returned to service a week ago today; probably just a break down

3 hours ago, Evan Hancock said:

Logging protest this afternoon completely banged up all service in Downtown this afternoon. 

Yes I got caught up in it. I got off a 14 at Commercial Drive because I wanted to examine the link wiring on Commercial north of Hastings. A supervisor was parked up and his first action was to short turn an inbound 20 because there had been no outbound 20 for some while. He de-poled the trolley, which then ran on battery power round the block to pick up at the s/b stop.

Next  followed actual use of the emergency link wires. First a 20 was called across Hastings and repolled on the n/b link wires. Then some 14s and 16s de-poled and turned right onto the northbound link wire.  At the northern end the link wires are connected with the regular 4/7 wiring so we just headed downtown on Powell. Downtown was a complete mess, all inbound buses going south on Main and turning onto Pender. 

Pure luck that I didn't just see these link wires but actually used them at first asking.

7 hours ago, Stormscape said:

I've always wondered why those wires aren't actually connected for even a right turn from Hastings to Commercial NB. Seems like a waste.

I think they want to avoid to much complication in the overhead junction, when the use of the detour wires is only occasional. That said, there is a turn for buses coming southbound on Commercial to turn on to Hastings going to downtown, so I wonder why they avoided a right turn switch off Hastings to n/b Commercial. IMHO it wouldn't have added too much complication.

20 minutes ago, martin607 said:

I think they want to avoid to much complication in the overhead junction, when the use of the detour wires is only occasional. That said, there is a turn for buses coming southbound on Commercial to turn on to Hastings going to downtown, so I wonder why they avoided a right turn switch off Hastings to n/b Commercial. IMHO it wouldn't have added too much complication.

The southbound turn was installed for the detour of the Dunbar and Powell when the Heatley overpass was built

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, mira said:

The southbound turn was installed for the detour of the Dunbar and Powell when the Heatley overpass was built

Similarly, a right turn wire from southbound Main to westbound Hastings was installed in 2015 to allow for detouring of the 4 and 7 off Pender Street during the sewer upgrades.

• Like 2

Anyone know about 9673? Unit was quite possibly in an accident this past July (according to other posts). Just wondering if anyone knows the extend of the damage. Thanks

On 10/1/2019 at 10:55 AM, Express691 said:

14016 had an MVA on its 169 run on the weekend

Also I wonder if a similar mechanical failure is what contributed to 16017’s accident. In this case, I wonder if they’ll ground the XN40s just like they did with the 737 max...

• Haha 2
  • Confused 3

34 minutes ago, Evan Hancock said:

Also I wonder if a similar mechanical failure is what contributed to 16017’s accident. In this case, I wonder if they’ll ground the XN40s just like they did with the 737 max...

Strike two.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Evan Hancock said:

Anyone else OVER IT with this dude and his stupid posts? 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Evan Hancock said:

Anyone know about 9673? Unit was quite possibly in an accident this past July (according to other posts). Just wondering if anyone knows the extend of the damage. Thanks

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a0adf3ebca41c65e6f8

• Like 2

Being on topic here. S18129 is now running half hour plus late. Because earlier there was a police incident with getting someone off the bus. 

*Note: information came to me from transit information/customer service and accurate. I called them around 7:45 while it was just turning back into 342 Newton Exchange. 

***Let's all be friendly here and not be rude to one another.***

17 hours ago, Nick B said:

And this post is supposed to contribute what to the discussion board exactly?

Well... if I were to showcase my skills of what I call "spewing from my rearend"  .. I'd probably say I'd go about it in this manner, and that the contributions i would gift those with would be near to if not beyond redundant and irrelevant on all levels.  AND likely under the influence at that.  

A request.. I know a few young guys here are keen to keep relevant info whenever the page moves forward.. to those who reference that for us... please remind us the rules of posting on the forum,  as I recently had to nail my "bang head here" sign and 2x4 peice of wood back on my wall after recently abusing the privilege.  

• Like 2