2014(-2017) Standard 40' Bus Procurement

Millennium2002

6 hours ago, Express691 said:

16140 has a driver barrier. Dont know if any others do.

Just 16101 and 16140 have barriers as far as Xcelsior's are concerned.  

Drove by RTC today and saw one XN40 parked there.  Wasn't able to get a unit number though, saw it from Steveston Hwy.  We could see a 16000 XN40 in service soon.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dane said:

Are those two buses testing different designs of driver barriers? Or something else? 

Two different brands that are almost identical.  The one in 16140 was installed at the factory.  I haven't physically seen either them, just photos from the bulletin that distributed to the operators.  One neat thing about the barrier in 16101 is that part of the plexiglass glass slides back to open it up a bit and one of them has a cup holder in it which I've heard works out very well.

On October-29-16 at 9:30 AM, Brando737 said:

Nope.  Haven't heard anything about them or seen any at HTC.  Im surprised it's taking as long as it is.  However, now that all XD40s are in service as of last week, they will probably start getting the XN40s ready to go.

H16001,003,004,009,011 are sitting at RTC.  No Plates radios or fareboxes.

On 2016-08-20 at 11:56 AM, Blue Bus Fan said:

Do you know what buses these units are replacing in the West Vancouver Blue Bus fleet? 

All the older buses are staying on for now except 992 and 993 which were retired. With possible added service to the 250 and 255 they will need all they can

On 2016-11-03 at 9:50 PM, ThomasW97 said:

Been on 1601-3, they don't. Not sure about 1604

1604 is now in service with 1605 going into service next week likely

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Peter M said:

New font?

FF Meta is the new font to be used everywhere, to create brand identity etc. Centered around the blue box with a capital 'FF Meta' T at stations and bus stops.

It's on the new signage for the Evergreen Extension and whatever else new comes around, eventually it'll be everywhere. First time I've seen an HTC bus with it, though. I've only noticed VTC buses actively replacing with the new font.

Also hah, I just noticed from linking the wiki article: "FF Meta was intended to be a "complete antithesis of Helvetica", which he found "boring and bland" so kind of funny they're now replacing Helvetica with FF Meta.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Meraki said:

FF Meta is the new font to be used everywhere, to create brand identity etc. Centered around the blue box with a capital 'FF Meta' T at stations and bus stops.

It's on the new signage for the Evergreen Extension and whatever else new comes around, eventually it'll be everywhere. First time I've seen an HTC bus with it, though. I've only noticed VTC buses actively replacing with the new font.

Also hah, I just noticed from linking the wiki article: "FF Meta was intended to be a "complete antithesis of Helvetica", which he found "boring and bland" so kind of funny they're now replacing Helvetica with FF Meta.

Great information, thank you!! I wonder what the rationale is for the change.

40 minutes ago, Large Cat said:

Great information, thank you!! I wonder what the rationale is for the change.

I'd imagine it's part of a continuing effort to consolidate all signage/livery to one common standard. There's lots of stuff hanging around the system from various times on buses and SkyTrain, such as the red/blue/yellow scheme or busses around the C40LFR order where the TransLink blue/yellow was screwed up and stickers arrived as blue/orange instead.

DSC_0603.jpg

An old style next to a new one. (Why the new one has already deteriorated and looks worse, it is a mystery!)

23 hours ago, dover5949 said:

Are any of them ready to enter service yet?

There weren't any at HTC as of Thursday night, as far as I could see. If there were any, they would have been tucked away in the shop somewhere.

Passing by Cullen this afternoon westbound on Highway 1, I could see about six or seven XN40s parked in the lot.