Question regarding these on some New Looks, though this is not a TTC New Look. Where the Please offer seats/handicapped Passengers stickers are, on some TTC New Looks-and one Oshawa /transit new look were rectangular air vents. They always caught my eye as I never saw them on any other New Looks. Does anyone else remember them--or know what they for?  The vents were also on the left hand hand side. No automatic alt text available.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Jeffrey said:

Question regarding these on some New Looks, though this is not a TTC New Look. Where the Please offer seats/handicapped Passengers stickers are, on some TTC New Looks-and one Oshawa /transit new look were rectangular air vents. They always caught my eye as I never saw them on any other New Looks. Does anyone else remember them--or know what they for?  The vents were also on the left hand hand side. No automatic alt text available.

Air intake vents for the engine. GM varied their design and location over the years, to the point that it became a bit of a spotting feature for generations/years of production.

Dan

• Like 2

2 hours ago, smallspy said:

Air intake vents for the engine. GM varied their design and location over the years, to the point that it became a bit of a spotting feature for generations/years of production.

Dan

Gotcha, thanks. And just to clarify as I notice I did not mention, the odd vents I noticed were actually in the interior of the bus, a kind of mesh grill. The last bus I saw was on an Oshawa Transit bus in 1992 (Oshawa Transit 115 I believe). . Always kick myself for not getting more photos then.

On 9/24/2017 at 2:31 PM, Jeffrey said:

Question regarding these on some New Looks, though this is not a TTC New Look. Where the Please offer seats/handicapped Passengers stickers are, on some TTC New Looks-and one Oshawa /transit new look were rectangular air vents. They always caught my eye as I never saw them on any other New Looks. Does anyone else remember them--or know what they for?  The vents were also on the left hand hand side.

On 9/24/2017 at 3:02 PM, smallspy said:

Dan

Did it look like this?  This is inside a 1963 Los Angeles bus, which did not have exterior fresh air intakes from what I could see:

5003HJ~1.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tomsbuspage said:

Did it look like this?  This is inside a 1963 Los Angeles bus, which did not have exterior fresh air intakes from what I could see:

5003HJ~1.jpg

Yup, that's what I am talking about. The one on the Oshawa Transit unit was a little higher up, more rectangular and a bit larger, but same idea. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

An update on the status of the gms..

-8058 always was, and remains a donor bus only.

-2252 was required to be re skinned, as the first time around it was improperly riveted, unfortunately. Much of the knowledge base on how to maintain these vehicles has since retired with them.

-Interior was also repainted, it’s now on jack stands inside Duncan, and will be receiving refurbished axles and it’s powerplant module soon. Could well be complete by year’s end.

-2444’s restoration will then commence.

C612B0AB-3677-4FCF-B160-2D01EEF21542.thumb.jpeg.0bb56e588628230a437a8e9cbaa14242.jpeg

Pics taken about 3 weeks ago, they are NOT mine.

85F157EB-5E0E-4FDC-B38A-268B1B1B76FC.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

On 10/31/2017 at 5:36 PM, Tom1122 said:

Apparently TTC has recently untarped 8058. I wonder if this means they will resume rebuilding it.

untarp=resume rebuild?  What a kybosh kid theory is this?

Can't they untarp it and parts it off to the other two GMs for rebuild? Can't they untarp it and sent it for scrap?

1 hour ago, Bus_Medic said:

-2252 was required to be re skinned, as the first time around it was improperly riveted, unfortunately. Much of the knowledge base on how to maintain these vehicles has since retired with them.

-Interior was also repainted, it’s now on jack stands inside Duncan, and will be receiving refurbished axles and it’s powerplant module soon. Could well be complete by year’s end.

C612B0AB-3677-4FCF-B160-2D01EEF21542.thumb.jpeg.0bb56e588628230a437a8e9cbaa14242.jpeg

Thx for the great update, although very sad to see 8058 in this status...................8058 should have been kept by HCRR collecting dust outside instead............

...maybe not. At least this way, 8058’s interior can still be re used, which still appears to be the plan.

in the beginning, I think the honest intention was to give 8058 the ol’ college try, but nobody really knew what they were in for until it was observed from underneath on a proper hoist.

sometimes plans have unexpected surprises. Anyone who restores anything- especially vehicles, will attest to this.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

2444 will be repainted into the CLRV scheme?

1 hour ago, TTC T6H-5307N 2252 said:

2444 will be repainted into the CLRV scheme?

I honestly don’t know.Let’s wait and find out, eh?

4 hours ago, Cimon8000 said:

Easy now.

A wise person told me early on in life that for every finger you point at someone, there are three more pointing back at yourself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Cimon8000 said:

Can't they untarp it and parts it off to the other two GMs for rebuild? Can't they untarp it and sent it for scrap?

Thx for the great update, although very sad to see 8058 in this status...................8058 should have been kept by HCRR collecting dust outside instead............

Rather it be harvested for useful parts in the city TBH.

20 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

I honestly don’t know.Let’s wait and find out, eh?

Easy now.

A wise person told me early on in life that for every finger you point at someone, there are three more pointing back at yourself.

Pfft. No one's got 3 middle fingers. Thanks for the status report.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, RevEleven said:

Rather it be harvested for useful parts in the city TBH.

Not to mention, if they had kept it at HCRR it doesn't seem terribly likely that they would've been able to magically fix the problems that the TTC couldn't.  They'd probably leave it as it was until they junked it 15-20 years down the road. At least this way the TTC's buses will benefit.

• Like 1

If 8058 was to be a donor bus only, why would TTC have bothered to put a tarp over it when they needed space on the shop floor? Neither 2345 nor 2444 got a tarp. And 2444 sat for months in the elements with its rear end removed. When someone got access to Hillcrest early this year or late last year and showed photos of 8058 undergoing rebuild before it was stopped, someone did say how thoroughly stripped down 8058 was. If it was going to be scrapped, they would have removed the rollsign and other parts. Even as recently as three weeks ago 8058 still has its rollsign.

17 hours ago, Tom1122 said:

If 8058 was to be a donor bus only, why would TTC have bothered to put a tarp over it when they needed space on the shop floor? Neither 2345 nor 2444 got a tarp. And 2444 sat for months in the elements with its rear end removed. When someone got access to Hillcrest early this year or late last year and showed photos of 8058 undergoing rebuild before it was stopped, someone did say how thoroughly stripped down 8058 was. If it was going to be scrapped, they would have removed the rollsign and other parts. Even as recently as three weeks ago 8058 still has its rollsign.

Get your panties unbunched. Even though the frame of 8058 is garbage, there is still a lot of good body panels that they hope to harvest to keep the 2 good ones running.

Dan

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, smallspy said:

Get your panties unbunched. Even though the frame of 8058 is garbage, there is still a lot of good body panels that they hope to harvest to keep the 2 good ones running.

Dan

Thank you. Some people need to stick to complaining about things they actually spent money on.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Today marks 6 years since the TTC Fishbowl era ended revenue service.  Buses 2281, 2286, 2290, 2444 & 2855 were assigned on 52 Lawrence West on that day.  2281 went on the Yonge Subway Shuttle until 2:15 am on December 17, 2011.  Bus 2252 was on the Toronto Island until March 2012 and was retired from service.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1