New Flyer D40LF Retirement / Storage watch

Enviro 500

This is a better place to post this @dover5949

5 minutes ago, dover5949 said:

RTC check today 1300 Hours....

Retirement line N7180 N7181 H7184 (with skinny font size number above drivers window & front door) N7191 S7247 a few others unable to get numbers on the right side of the XN40's

New arrivals 16016 16019 16020 16031 plus others which I'm unable to get numbers of. I noticed some of the D40LF's which I reported last week are gone. Does anyone know if the D40LF's that are retired are being moved some place else on the property or to another property?

Edited by Blue Bus Fan

11 hours ago, dover5949 said:

Does anyone know since the property at OTC has been sold & all operations are gone from there what's going to happen to the buses currently stored there?

Yup, either pressed back into service or sent to the crusher, though the latter is more likely of a scenario.

I didn't realize 7262 was still alive. I thought it was retired until I spotted it last night at 22nd doing a 340.

Also, yesterday afternoon around 15:00, I was in the HTC bullpen with another operator who was preparing to take a bus out of the yard. He walked outside, then sheepishly came straight back in when he realized he had forgotten to check the track sheets to see what bus he was supposed to take. "Maybe I should just go eenie, meenie, mynie moe..." he said. To which I replied "You should just pick the oldest, shabbiest, most rickety bus you can find in the yard, and take that!"

I was joking of course.

Then not 15 minutes later, I was walking down Boyd towards Queensborough Landing, when I happened a glance to my right and saw that very same operator go by... driving 7115.

He DID take the oldest bus after all!

• Like 6

Retired 3298 has been brought back to HTC for some reason. It has been sitting parked facing the wrong way on track 20 for at least the last few days. It still has valid CVIP and insurance, but the farebox and radio have been ripped out.

Also, I got to drive this tonight: 

20161208_230523.jpg

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, cleowin said:

This bus is almost 22 years old, how the hell is it still going strong? What made it different than the other 95 D40LF's?

First of all, it's only 21 years old. The build date is January 1996. Contrary to popular belief, 7101-7150 were all 1996 models, they were just the first batch.

I don't really see any differences with this particular bus. It runs fine. In fact, I don't remember it running this well the last time I drove it in May, so it must have had some work done to it. I still think 7155 is a better bus, that said I haven't driven it since it's been in HTC.

2 minutes ago, MCW Metrobus said:

First of all, it's only 21 years old. The build date is January 1996. Contrary to popular belief, 7101-7150 were all 1996 models, they were just the first batch.

I don't really see any differences with this particular bus. It runs fine. In fact, I don't remember it running this well the last time I drove it in May, so it must have had some work done to it. I still think 7155 is a better bus, that said I haven't driven it since it's been in HTC.

Sorry for not getting the date right, it's the matter of the fact that it's well beyond it's life and it seriously is probably going to be one of the last d40lf's retired, that's a miracle for a bus, seriously. I wonder if it'll outlive most of the 2000/2001 Series D40LF's

7115 (and the buses 7151-7243) may be at or beyond their specified life expectancies, but sometimes buses just are in a good enough condition to keep going.
The one thing that sets these buses aside from the high floors retired before them is just that - these buses are low floor.
 A lot of the high floor buses retired en-masse since 2008 were retired before their lives were truly up - they were just pulled from service because low-floor buses replaced them and rendered them totally redundant. Only a few lucky ones went to serve secondary careers in colder climates, the rest that were left behind were mothballed or scrapped virtually once there was no longer any need for them, regardless of their condition.

I applaud the fact TransLink and BC Transit have found the sense to keep older buses not-yet ready for retirement in active service. Just wish they'd have done that a bit sooner (like ten-years ago sooner).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SidneyTransitfan said:

7115 (and the buses 7151-7243) may be at or beyond their specified life expectancies, but sometimes buses just are in a good enough condition to keep going.

The one thing that sets these buses aside from the high floors retired before them is just that - these buses are low floor.

A lot of the high floor buses retired en-masse since 2008 were retired before their lives were truly up - they were just pulled from service because low-floor buses replaced them and rendered them totally redundant. Only a few lucky ones went to serve secondary careers in colder climates, the rest that were left behind were mothballed or scrapped virtually once there was no longer any need for them, regardless of their condition.

I applaud the fact TransLink and BC Transit have found the sense to keep older buses not-yet ready for retirement in active service. Just wish they'd have done that a bit sooner (like ten-years ago sooner).

A big part of the reason why those buses were retired so early was political pressure, especially since Sam Sullivan (who is quadriplegic and a major advocate for persons with disabilities) was mayor of Vancouver at the time, and many of the D40s had been assigned to Vancouver TC.

• Like 3