TransLink Future - Dream's and Aspirations

cleowin

9 hours ago, Blue Bus Fan said:

I think we should shorten all Trolley that go West-East, excluding the 4, to help keep the routes on time and reliable. The Western or Eastern terminus of the routes while both routes terminus would be somewhere in Downtown. The Western terminus would be Waterfront. For the terminus Eastern routes it will be turn around loop via left on Drake street then right on Seymour street, then right on Davie street and then right on to Granville street. If TransLink doesn't want to install new Trolley wires the Eastern routes live turn around route could be a right on bus only exit of West 5th Ave, then right onto Fir street, then right onto West 4th Ave, then right onto Hemlock St, then a right on West 5th Ave and right back on to Granville Street. 

If you're going to do this, better to use the existing on-street loop via 10th and Fir - especially since this will eventually provide a connection to the Millennium Line. I'd actually advocate doing the same to the #95 and #257: send them across the Burrard Bridge and loop them via 12th/Arbutus/Broadway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GORDOOM said:

If you're going to do this, better to use the existing on-street loop via 10th and Fir - especially since this will eventually provide a connection to the Millennium Line. I'd actually advocate doing the same to the #95 and #257: send them across the Burrard Bridge and loop them via 12th/Arbutus/Broadway.

95 B-line being extend to 12th/Arbutus/Broadway is good idea because it already connects to Expo line at Burrard Station. I don't think 257 being re-route to connects to Millennium line is not the best idea and keep it at Stadium Chinatown which is a better connection for 257 because people would need to connect at the Millennium Line and go more station to get onto an express to Horeshoe Bay.

37 minutes ago, Express691 said:

This one I have is pretty ambitious. 50 years down the road, I see the 95 being extended from downtown all the way to UBC, making it the 95 UBC-SFU B-line via 4th Avenue.

With an eventual Millennium Line extension to UBC, much of the express-bus service on 4th Ave. will become superfluous. I would extend the Fourth trolleybus service (#4) to VCC-Clark Station to replace the #84, then reduce the #44 to rush-hour-only.

6 minutes ago, Blue Bus Fan said:

I don't think 257 being re-route to connects to Millennium line is not the best idea and keep it at Stadium Chinatown which is a better connection for 257 because people would need to connect at the Millennium Line and go more station to get onto an express to Horeshoe Bay.

What if you had the #257 turn onto Pender rather than staying on Georgia? Then you could have it stop at Burrard Station as well.

The Delta Mayor wants TransLink to expand to Abbotsford. I have say expanding to Abbotsford is reasonable with bus not with SkyTrain just yet but to Langley Centre that is justified. She also wants the Canada Line extended to Tsawwassen Ferry Terminal hopefully this doesn't happen because of the ferries don't justify trains to service them.

23 minutes ago, Blue Bus Fan said:

The Delta Mayor wants TransLink to expand to Abbotsford. I have say expanding to Abbotsford is reasonable with bus not with SkyTrain just yet but to Langley Centre that is justified. She also wants the Canada Line extended to Tsawwassen Ferry Terminal hopefully this doesn't happen because of the ferries don't justify trains to service them.

As someone who lives in Tsawwassen, I certainly wouldn't complain about that sort of service here ^_^

But, unfortunately, it doesn't seem reasonable at this point. At the very least though, they could introduce some more bus service to the ferries from areas like Surrey and White Rock, both to provide faster service from those areas as well as reduce crowding on the 620.

8 hours ago, Blue Bus Fan said:

cough cough 2 CAR TRAINS cough cough

But still, I heard for not much more Bombardier or MTR Hong Kong could construct it and use their own trains. Sighhhhhhh. MTR! Sometimes I dream 10 car trains rolling into Richmond Brighouse. hahahahaaha

From the article:

With the Evergreen Line extension now complete and showing it’s early benefits during Monday’s blast of snow, the debate is underway once again as to where TransLink should expand next. While Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson has pushed for a Broadway extension to UBC, Jackson sees a greater need south of the Fraser River.

“If we could magically take the Canada Line over our [Massey Tunnel replacement] bridge,” she says. “All the way down the freeway, all the way out to Langley, and all the way out to Abbotsford. That’s what I’d like to see.”

Leaving aside the capacity issues on the Canada Line for a second... a greater need south of the Fraser than on Broadway corridor? Go ride the #99 during rush hour and then get back to me. Demand south of Fraser can still be handled by buses at this point. Demand on Broadway corridor cannot.

20 minutes ago, GORDOOM said:

From the article:

Leaving aside the capacity issues on the Canada Line for a second... a greater need south of the Fraser than on Broadway corridor? Go ride the #99 during rush hour and then get back to me. Demand south of Fraser can still be handled by buses at this point. Demand on Broadway corridor cannot.

Yes south of Fraser can be handled by buses at this point, but they really do need more.  At surrey central during the rush hour, every bus has a line up and they all leave almost full.  Surrey to Langley has lots of demand and heavy volume of people that use it with lots of traffic as well.  Better bus service with more buses will hopefully mean less cars on the road which will create more efficient bus service.

• Like 3

I feel like rail would be justified in two corridors in South of the Fraser; one on Fraser Highway due Langley and development along Fraser Highway could be more dense and get easier access to the rest of Vancouver. The other corridors in which King George Station would need to be rebuilt and have flyover tracks for trains could head to Newton and White Rock to help residents get to replace and develop that area even more. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, cleowin said:

Rather than bringing in XN40 to RTC in the distant future, they should replace the remaining D40LF fleet with XE40's, they seem to work well in Winnipeg at the 60 foot level.

That would be awesome--would love to see XE40s (or the future equivalent) everywhere in Vancouver someday. But Richmond might be a good place to start given the easy topography for charging purposes.

2 hours ago, Large Cat said:

That would be awesome--would love to see XE40s (or the future equivalent) everywhere in Vancouver someday. But Richmond might be a good place to start given the easy topography for charging purposes.

I believe the costs associated with that are way too far out of proportion, I believe it is like $1M per 1km of wire. Not as cheap as it was back when all these wires were initially installed.

4 hours ago, Large Cat said:

I was going to post this after discovering on cptdb wiki but you and @cleowin beat me to it