TransLink Future - Dream's and Aspirations

cleowin

11 minutes ago, GORDOOM said:

But the #32 is literally a couple trips during the morning and evening rush. The #2 would be lots more buses, all day, every day.

As someone who lives near the #22... please, no. A route that long passing through the heart of downtown is crap for reliability. The split #2 and #22 works so much better!

Agreed on both points; as a fellow local resident, the route split has been working brilliantly. If I see TransLink changing it back I'll be complaining.

I feel like the 2 has room to be extended a little further so that riders can use the 2 to/from more points in the downtown Peninsula.

I know that if I still worked where I did a couple years ago at Abbott & Pender, I would miss the direct connection from Chinatown to the Burrard St corridor (although I would accept it given the greater good it does for riders overall).

Other than that the stop spacing on Burrard St for local routes drives me nuts (it's one every block from Burrard Station as far as Nelson, it drives me a little nuts (esp when bus is at Burrard and I take it to say Sheraton & think "might as well have walked it... or mobi bike") I feel like you could cut it down/move stops....

• Outbound: Burrard Stn, Robson near-side, Smithe far-side, Comox near-side, Davie...
  • Inbound: Davie, Comox/Sheraton Wall Ctr, Smithe near-side, Robson far-side, Georgia

...and I know the 44 is cutting stops too, although that is expected for an express route.

3 hours ago, Blue Bus Fan said:

Ok. I don't think that reasonable idea because Cambie at Dunsmuir St would get busy with buses and would have no room for another route. 

If the idea of extending the 2 means  further into downtown rather than out of, then my idea would be for the 2 to simply extend along Pender to Main, and turn around via National/Terminal at Main Street Station, which would make the 22 peak service available throughout the 2 service hours.

6 hours ago, Marlow1331 said:

If the idea of extending the 2 means  further into downtown rather than out of, then my idea would be for the 2 to simply extend along Pender to Main, and turn around via National/Terminal at Main Street Station, which would make the 22 peak service available throughout the 2 service hours.

How reliable would that routing be? I am worried that route would be unreliably.

16 minutes ago, Blue Bus Fan said:

I think that Canada line should change evening frequency to 6-10 minutes because the trains get to standing room at Vancouver City Centre Station.

I totally agree with that idea. The Canada Line is constantly standing room only, so I totally support the Canada Line getting more service.

Just an anecdote but once, quite early, I was headed from downtown to YVR. The government was paying for my travel so I could have cabbed, but I figure I'd save some money and time by taking the train. 

It was 33 minutes until the next YVR train was coming!! That's less frequent than low density residential bus service in most of the city to one of the country's busiest airports. What a joke. 

I had to take a cab. 

32 minutes ago, Dane said:

Just an anecdote but once, quite early, I was headed from downtown to YVR. The government was paying for my travel so I could have cabbed, but I figure I'd save some money and time by taking the train. 

It was 33 minutes until the next YVR train was coming!! That's less frequent than low density residential bus service in most of the city to one of the country's busiest airports. What a joke. 

I had to take a cab. 

OK, that's not normal... do you remember when in the morning it was? Was anything messed up on the Canada Line that day?

Out of curiosity not knowing if this would be the right place to post it or not, but after reading a few comments regarding how trash the C40LFR's are on the hills compared to the XN40's. With the construction going on at STC for the new CNG fueling pumps and once completed, would you think they'd just transfer the C40LFR's over to Surrey or have a new fleet of CNG buses ? Just wondering since Surrey routes are lot less hilly compared routes operated out of PoCo and Hamilton. 

Make a whole new transit centre in either West Van or North Van operated by CMBC.

Also I am pretty sure STC + RTC is getting CNG

By 2025:

D40LF (retired)

D60LF (Retired)

E40/60LFR (VTC)

D40LFR (STC)

C40LFR (HTC)

D60LFR (PCTC)

DE60LFR (HTC)

Orion V (RTC)

Nova LFS HEV (RTC)

Nova LFS 95xx (RTC)

Nova LFS 96xx, 97xx (NVTC)

'12 XDE60 (RTC)

'14 XN40 (PCTC)

'15 XDE60 (STC)

'16 XD40 (RTC)

'16 XN40 (PCTC)

'16 XDE60 (BTC)

'18 XN40 (HTC)

'19 XD40 (NVTC)

'19 XDE40 (VTC)

'20 XD40 Suburban (RTC)

'21 XD40 (RTC)

'21 XDE60 (BTC)

'22 XN40 (PCTC)

'22 XDE40 (VTC)

'23 XDE40 (BTC)

'25 XN40 (RTC)

'25 XDE60 (VTC)

7 minutes ago, buizel10 said:

Make a whole new transit centre in either West Van or North Van operated by CMBC.

Can i ask why it would be a good idea financially and to the cost of residents peace to build a transit centre in West/north vancouver when a new transit centre opened less than 6 months ago, to replace a transit centre that closed in North Vancouver ?

6 minutes ago, Marlow1331 said:

Can i ask why it would be a good idea financially and to the cost of residents peace to build a transit centre in West/north vancouver when a new transit centre opened less than 6 months ago, to replace a transit centre that closed in North Vancouver ?

I didnt mean now, more like 7-8 years later.

It would be a good idea for a few reasons:

1. Fleet expansion - it looks like we are (hopefully) on the start of a period of some potential major service expansions over the next five years or so. I appreciate that there is more garage space than buses right now, but at some point that ceases being true.
2. Service reliability - depending on the Iron Workers Memorial, a major weak point, is a service disaster waiting to happen for North Shore routes.
3. Ancillary expenses - deadheading buses from Burnaby to the North Shore is really inefficient. It has been going on for twenty years and in some places led to service reductions we have long forgotten about in order to facilitate a longer not-in-serve time for the buses to get to their start of service point.
4. Bus reallocation - Burnaby is supporting a lot of North Shore routes, which has a system wide "shuffle" of buses out of what may be their most logical support Depot. The largest growth region being South of Fraser would make a strong case for keeping HTC, STC, and to a lesser extent RTC, all focused on near or actual SOF routes as we look toward the future.

There will also be a point where CMBC is surely keen to get rid of leased facilities in exchange for property they actually own. If property is rezoned or found on the North Shore I think Translink would be wise to jump at the opportunity to get a Transit Centre back on the North side of the water.

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

The North Vancouver Mayor wants to expand rapid transit to the North Shore:

http://globalnews.ca/news/3280023/north-vancouver-mayor-calls-for-rapid-transit-tunnel-linking-north-shore-to-vancouver/

Personally I think this reasonable request to study after the Broadway Subway extension of Millennium Line is finally built to UBC and rapid transit in Surrey and Langley are built. 

I think the mayors for for the next ten year plan should include:

1. Taking over Central Fraser Valley Transit and Squamish Transit System.
  2. SkyTrain extension to Maple Ridge.
  3. Rapid Transit line to North Shore.
  4. Passenger only Ferries from Waterfront and  Horeshoe Bay to Bowen Island.
  5. Canada Line extension to Stevenson 
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Blue Bus Fan said:

The North Vancouver Mayor wants to expand rapid transit to the North Shore:

http://globalnews.ca/news/3280023/north-vancouver-mayor-calls-for-rapid-transit-tunnel-linking-north-shore-to-vancouver/

Personally I think this reasonable request to study after the Broadway Subway extension of Millennium Line is finally built to UBC and rapid transit in Surrey and Langley are built. 

I think the mayors for for the next ten year plan should include:

1. Taking over Central Fraser Valley Transit and Squamish Transit System.
  2. SkyTrain extension to Maple Ridge.
  3. Rapid Transit line to North Shore.
  4. Passenger only Ferries from Waterfront and  Horeshoe Bay to Bowen Island.
  5. Canada Line extension to Stevenson 

I would rather have the Canada Line changed so it can accommodate 4 cars. BRT would be fine for Steveston.

1 hour ago, buizel10 said:

I would rather have the Canada Line changed so it can accommodate 4 cars. BRT would be fine for Steveston.

I think that impossible without rebuilding the Bridgeport portion of it. I believe it is designed to expand the trains to three cars.