TransLink Future - Dream's and Aspirations

cleowin

• 3 weeks later...

I think the mayors plan could have some easy extension or more hours for some routes:

1. 595 extension to Haney Place Exchange, all day, seven days a week.

2. 143 and 791 would be expanded to weekend service.

3. 253 with two way service and extension to Downtown Vancouver seven days, all day when 254 and 256 are convert to two way community shuttle.  

1 hour ago, Blue Bus Fan said:

I think the mayors plan could have some easy extension or more hours for some routes:

3. 253 with two way service and extension to Downtown Vancouver seven days, all day when 254 and 256 are convert to two way community shuttle.  

403 higher frequency? 410 artics? 319 ARTICS?

3 hours ago, buizel10 said:

403 higher frequency? 410 artics? 319 ARTICS?

Line 407 frequency between Brighouse & Knight/Marine terminus on midday weekdays & all times during weekends is pretty bad (only once an hour), which partly explains some of the full buses on line 430 during those times.

On Friday, March 24, 2017 at 7:39 PM, Blue Bus Fan said:

Somehow you have managed to propose changes that are all pointless and duplicative.  None of those changes you propose would expand coverage or all would duplicate existing or proposed service, while adding little new mobility options to the transit network.

1. The 595 used to go to Haney Place, but for axes due to low ridership.  Between the 701 and the proposed B-Line to Maple Ridge there will be plenty of service between Maple Meadows and Haney Place.  Adding the 595 to that corridor would be severely over serving it, especially as Haney Place is not a major regional destination.

2. Neither the 143 or 791 need weekend service.  The 143 is now just a Skytrain to SFU shuttle, with no real intermediate demand.  The 145 provides the needed Skytrain link on weekends, there isn't a need for two such routes when SFU doesn't have classes going on.  As for the 791 opening of the Evergreen Extension has killed it's time advantage over the 701.  Once the Maple Ridge B-Line opens, it is likely that the 791 will have a longer travel time to Braid vs the B-Line and Skytrain combination. 

3. Running all 253's to Vancouver is wasteful given the high frequencies on the 250 and the fact that the 250 is singled out for future increases.  Given the trend that has already happened with the 251/252 and is proposed for the 254/256, any conversion of the 253 to two way service would entail it being cimmunity shuttle and no longer travelling to Vancouver.  This would have the advantage of separating the local West Van service from delays on the Lions Gate Bridge and in Downtown.

31 minutes ago, Michael Marriott said:

Somehow you have managed to propose changes that are all pointless and duplicative.  None of those changes you propose would expand coverage or all would duplicate existing or proposed service, while adding little new mobility options to the transit network.

1. The 595 used to go to Haney Place, but for axes due to low ridership.  Between the 701 and the proposed B-Line to Maple Ridge there will be plenty of service between Maple Meadows and Haney Place.  Adding the 595 to that corridor would be severely over serving it, especially as Haney Place is not a major regional destination.

2. Neither the 143 or 791 need weekend service.  The 143 is now just a Skytrain to SFU shuttle, with no real intermediate demand.  The 145 provides the needed Skytrain link on weekends, there isn't a need for two such routes when SFU doesn't have classes going on.  As for the 791 opening of the Evergreen Extension has killed it's time advantage over the 701.  Once the Maple Ridge B-Line opens, it is likely that the 791 will have a longer travel time to Braid vs the B-Line and Skytrain combination. 

3. Running all 253's to Vancouver is wasteful given the high frequencies on the 250 and the fact that the 250 is singled out for future increases.  Given the trend that has already happened with the 251/252 and is proposed for the 254/256, any conversion of the 253 to two way service would entail it being cimmunity shuttle and no longer travelling to Vancouver.  This would have the advantage of separating the local West Van service from delays on the Lions Gate Bridge and in Downtown.

1. In my opinion Haney Place Exchange will be better terminus for the 595 because it has more routes which could serve even more riders and more of regional transit hub.

2. I see your point for both 143 and 791. 

3. I think they will need to make the transfer between the 250 and 253 more seamless. But I see your point also for the 253. But the plan has two way Conventional bus:

A modified #253 route provides two-way service. The route improves convenience and flexibility for passengers traveling in either direction while improving connections to Ambleside Town Centre. Existing local frequency is maintained in both directions, all days. 

23 minutes ago, Opal said:

Run the 480 out of VTC, and move the 620 to VTC as well, with the remaining RTC artics moving to VTC. 

The problem with this, is that VTC can't take any significant number of buses because VTC is so full. 

Have it do the route through Ladner the same as now, but extend all trips to Bridgeport Station via Ladner Exchange, operating out of RTC (I know many are 601's now, but they aren't signed as 606/608). 

That makes sense. I always wondered why the 606/608 don't go to Bridgeport stn. I also have an idea about the 601 Boundary Bay. Have the 601 Boundary rerouted to Highway 17a and then onto Highway 17(like the 602, 603, and 604 do), and  renumber the 601 Boundary Bay to the 605 Boundary Bay.

Move the 555 to STC, ending Orion service at PCTC.  With this, move the Orions used on the 503 to onto the 555 along with the ones sent from PCTC and increase the service to 4-5 minutes in peak and 15 minutes off-peak and weekends (all with Orions). 

Actually, that's a pretty good idea moving the 555 to STC. But I was maybe thinking that because there are upcoming service improvements on RTC highway routes, RTC is going to need more orions, so maybe end using orions on the 503, because the 503 doesn't go on any highway. The only ''highway'' the 503 goes on is Fraser Highway, which has a 70 kph speed limit. So maybe move about 4 orions to RTC because of the service improvements on highway routes, and the remaining former 503 buses stay at STC for added buses on the 555.

14 minutes ago, Dr. BusFreak said:

I always wondered why the 606/608 don't go to Bridgeport stn.

Certain 606/608 trips terminate at Ladner Exchange and continue as 601 Bridgeport Station. Some SB trips from Bridgeport operate as '601 Ladner Exchange' and continue as 606/608.

20 hours ago, Dr. BusFreak said:

Actually, that's a pretty good idea moving the 555 to STC. But I was maybe thinking that because there are upcoming service improvements on RTC highway routes, RTC is going to need more orions, so maybe end using orions on the 503, because the 503 doesn't go on any highway. The only ''highway'' the 503 goes on is Fraser Highway, which has a 70 kph speed limit. So maybe move about 4 orions to RTC because of the service improvements on highway routes, and the remaining former 503 buses stay at STC for added buses on the 555.

The issue with the 555 running out of STC is relief points.  Lougheed is out of the question for sure and carvolth is just to far.  The stop at 156 could work, but still not the easiest to get to.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Brando737 said:

The issue with the 555 running out of STC is relief points.  Lougheed is out of the question for sure and carvolth is just to far.  The stop at 156 could work, but still not the easiest to get to.

Perhaps a new bus loop?

23 hours ago, Opal said:

Renumber the 155 to 126, with no route change.

Ugh, I'm shocked and not shocked that this hasn't happened yet. The 15 and 50 were supposed to be merged into a single route number, and that hasn't happened either.

I'm still waiting on the rollback of the C-numbered routes. The Evergreen integration was a good start for that, though.

3 hours ago, buizel10 said:

Perhaps a new bus loop?

Why? :blink: just for a relief point? Lets me more realistic now. The 555 is fine right where it is.

Best idea would be interlining if it really came down to removing the 555 from Pocos lineup, but even then its not realistic once again , to do that either. The less resources wasted the better.

6 hours ago, Marlow1331 said:

Why? :blink: just for a relief point? Lets me more realistic now. The 555 is fine right where it is.

Best idea would be interlining if it really came down to removing the 555 from Pocos lineup, but even then its not realistic once again , to do that either. The less resources wasted the better.

I heard something about a bus loop and park and ride there.

2 hours ago, buizel10 said:

I heard something about a bus loop and park and ride there.

There is already a "new" bus loop and park and ride. Its called Carvolth Exchange, it is based in Langley . It also allows connectioms between the 555 and the 66 Fraser Valley Express, serviced By BC Transit Chilliwack. Aswell as a few other CMBC routes.

A few service changes I was thinking about:

1.The 301 will terminate at Bridgeport stn. instead of Brighouse, and will be transfered to RTC.

2.The 503 will no longer use orions.

3.Service adjustment on the 602, 603 and 604 during PM peak periods to extend 10 minute headways on the 602, 603, and 604 at Bridgeport stn. from 4:30 P.M. - 5:30 P.M.  to 4:30 P.M. - 6:00 P.M.

4.Service improvements on the Canada Line between 7:00 P.M. - 8:30 P.M. on weekdays and weekends to adjust frequencies of trains from every 12 minutes with a combined frequency of 6 minutes to every 7 minutes with a combined frequency of every 3.5 minutes.

13 minutes ago, Express691 said:

To address overcrowding on Expo line, why not address overcrowding by removing seats on the white mark 2s to make a bicycle section like the mark 3?

While I do favour this sort of idea for reducing overcrowding, I must say the new "multi use" sections on the Mark 3 cars haven't ended up being used as intended. Because of the railing, it's almost always a row of 5-6 able bodied passengers using the area to lean against the window. I think they'd move for someone using a mobility device, but often won't even be asked as the person with the device finds it less awkward just to remain near the doors (defeating the point). It also needs better signage if people with bikes are going to feel entitled to have dibs over that space (when it is legal for them to be on the trains, of course, and second dibs compared to people with mobility devices or strollers). On the Canada Line it works better, I think because not having the railings you can rest your butt on indicates to people it's more of a 'last resort' place to stand, rather than a place to go to right away. Of course, any sensible cyclist wouldn't try to go on when there are crush loads anyway, but the same can't be said for people with wheelchairs or strollers.

In general we need more strap hangers and ceiling-mounted bars, as opposed to hand-level or butt-level apparatuses. :)

• Like 5

On 3/27/2017 at 10:29 PM, Opal said:

Merge the 601 and 602 schedules together, into the 602's route (but with the 601 number), and then extend the 404 back into Ladner following the current 601's route but terminate at Tsawwassen Mills.  Merge the 606 and 608 into a single 606 route.  Have it do the route through Ladner the same as now, but extend all trips to Bridgeport Station via Ladner Exchange, operating out of RTC (I know many are 601's now, but they aren't signed as 606/608)

I appreciate the effort to maximize the usefulness of transit in south Delta but this would basically destroy the connectivity between Tsawwassen and Ladner. The transfer to get between the two communities would double the time it take from what is a relatively short and simple ride. Also if you wanted to keep the 30 minute base frequency for both Ladner and Tsawwassen you would have to increase funding a decent amount for the additional revenue hours required. It would be simpler and better to just increase the frequency of the 601. Hell it would be a major improvement if they increased the frequency to 15 minutes and short turned every second one at Stevsten highway (when the bridge is done it could be cut back to the 17a overpass). The 351 comes frequently enough to take people to bridgeport from there you can connect to the 404 or 403 or even the 401 and 405 are just a 5 minute walk away.   

I never suggested cutting all 601 service at Stevenson highway (or eventually the 17a overpass when the new bridge is finished). I was offering a realistic option to improve service for south delta while best using the funds. The 601 and 351 are some of the most expensive routes to operate due to there long distances commuting patterns. I was merely suggesting that the base frequency of the 601 could be doubled to 15 minutes and added to the FTN while not doubling the actually operating cost. Keep the current 601's running to bridgeprot and add some new short turns fill in the headway that can still get you to Bridgeport via the 351 and if there is enough demand you could just run them all the way.   It would also create a better connection between south delta and south surrey currently you either transfer all the way at Bridgeport or cross on foot the inhospitable Stevenson highway overpass and cross the street 6 times.

4 hours ago, bardak said:

I never suggested cutting all 601 service at Stevenson highway (or eventually the 17a overpass when the new bridge is finished). I was offering a realistic option to improve service for south delta while best using the funds. The 601 and 351 are some of the most expensive routes to operate due to there long distances commuting patterns. I was merely suggesting that the base frequency of the 601 could be doubled to 15 minutes and added to the FTN while not doubling the actually operating cost. Keep the current 601's running to bridgeprot and add some new short turns fill in the headway that can still get you to Bridgeport via the 351 and if there is enough demand you could just run them all the way.   It would also create a better connection between south delta and south surrey currently you either transfer all the way at Bridgeport or cross on foot the inhospitable Stevenson highway overpass and cross the street 6 times.

Terminating every other 601 at Steveston Highway will not make any difference at providing better connections to South Surrey. The two best options would be to just provide 20 minute service during afternoon weekday off peak hours while the 601 will continue to terminate at Bridgeport station, or short turn every other 601 at South Delta Exchange and will be added to the FTN.

• Like 1

I agree that 601 should join the frequent transit to South Delta Exchange due the ridership demands in the future. 

@bardak if you want better connection between South Delta and South Surrey let's create a Community Shuttle route that operates between the South Delta Exchange and South Surrey Park & Ride which could follow the 601 routing to Lander Exchange then go straight on Lander Trunk Road to Highway 10 then Highway 10 to King George Highway then King George Highway to South Surrey Park & Ride. The could be frequency would be 1 hour throughout the day and every 90 minutes on weekends/ and holidays.

On 4/10/2017 at 9:30 PM, Blue Bus Fan said:

@bardak if you want better connection between South Delta and South Surrey let's create a Community Shuttle route that operates between the South Delta Exchange and South Surrey Park & Ride which could follow the 601 routing to Lander Exchange then go straight on Lander Trunk Road to Highway 10 then Highway 10 to King George Highway then King George Highway to South Surrey Park & Ride. The could be frequency would be 1 hour throughout the day and every 90 minutes on weekends/ and holidays.

with such a low frequency the vast majority of people would still be better off just transferring from the 601 to the 351 at Stevenson highway especially if the 601 becomes part of the FTN.

• Like 1