TransLink Future - Dream's and Aspirations

cleowin

14 hours ago, 8010 said:

In the Cambie Corridor plan it looks like the city wants to replace it with mixed employment, so the dream of an expanded bus loop will most likely never happen.

The most I'd see is maybe some trolley extensions down to Kent for more layover room and a few on street bays.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, buizelbus said:

The most I'd see is maybe some trolley extensions down to Kent for more layover room and a few on street bays.

I'll toy around with idea and see if I can make anything that works, I think that's a better idea than having a loop almost twice the size of Coq Ctrl Stn, I think a new entrance to the loop should be made where the Transit Security and HandyDART shuttles currently park. On-street Bays could also be made on Marine Drive between Cambie and Yukon if CoV would allow it, which is where I sort of envisioned the Victoria Drive B-Line stop would be.

On 10/2/2018 at 9:43 PM, 8010 said:

I'll toy around with idea and see if I can make anything that works, I think that's a better idea than having a loop almost twice the size of Coq Ctrl Stn, I think a new entrance to the loop should be made where the Transit Security and HandyDART shuttles currently park. On-street Bays could also be made on Marine Drive between Cambie and Yukon if CoV would allow it, which is where I sort of envisioned the Victoria Drive B-Line stop would be.

What about along Cambie? Going NB IMO there is space. And you could move 100 EB traffic out of the loop with a bay along Marine going EB. Even if it's shortened to Marine you could loop it around and layover it really anywhere.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, buizelbus said:

What about along Cambie? Going NB IMO there is space. And you could move 100 EB traffic out of the loop with a bay along Marine going EB. Even if it's shortened to Marine you could loop it around and layover it really anywhere.

That's true, I could probably put the 100 and the Victoria Drive B-Line out on EB Marine Dr. Just curious as to where on Cambie there is room for NB buses? I suppose if the bike lanes were removed there would be room. I would like to move the 3 out of the loop and make another route layover in the loop like the 16 or the 32.

2 hours ago, 8010 said:

That's true, I could probably put the 100 and the Victoria Drive B-Line out on EB Marine Dr. Just curious as to where on Cambie there is room for NB buses? I suppose if the bike lanes were removed there would be room. I would like to move the 3 out of the loop and make another route layover in the loop like the 16 or the 32.

In the middle of the street for a quick unload/load no layover stop?

• Like 1

On 9/9/2018 at 11:50 AM, 8010 said:

Map Update:

• 213 routes currently on the map, with an additional 12 NightBus routes and at least 20 more CFV routes on the way

• added new peak-frequent section 

• renamed route destinations to match updated station/exchange names

• Marine Drive Station bus changes (may update the 32 a bit more)

• removed routes 258 and 480 

• added routes 1, 731, and N3 (route info for N3 will be added later)

• rerouted 418 to approximate Zylmans Way area

• renamed certain NightBus and B-Line routes

• removed WCE extension into Abbotsford

• rerouted 609 to travel to/from Centennial Beach

• probably going to extend the Coquitlam/Guildford B-Line to White Rock

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WEjh1N0bnU_mzweeO2wG9MS2duHzy5GJ&usp=sharing

1. Is the "Woodlands Line" going to be another skytrain line? And will it go above or underground???

2. I'd like there to be a bus to Whistler or something. It could use rapid transit from here.

9 hours ago, Evan Hancock said:

1. Is the "Woodlands Line" going to be another skytrain line? And will it go above or underground???

2. I'd like there to be a bus to Whistler or something. It could use rapid transit from here.

The Woodlands Line is another SkyTrain Line because if it was another Millennium Line extension the line would be way too long. Most of the line would be above ground as it would be cheaper and easier, although parts of it may need to be below ground to minimize overall disruptions (between Golden Ears Bridge and Carvolth Exchange would probably be one of the possible underground parts).

I am looking into bus routes from Vancouver to Whistler, as well as Commuter Rail.

• 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, Evan Hancock said:

Imagine the likelihood of Translink buying back these buses, and assigning them as shown:

1991 New Flyer D40: 3106, 3139, 3147, and 3155 to PTC

1995 New Flyer ex-C40: 3266, 3270, and 3271 to HTC

1998 Novabus LFS (yes, the one and only): 7298 to BTC

0, especially the last one, since that was sold to St. Albert Transit in SK.

2 hours ago, Evan Hancock said:

Imagine the likelihood of Translink buying back these buses, and assigning them as shown:

1991 New Flyer D40: 3106, 3139, 3147, and 3155 to PTC

1995 New Flyer ex-C40: 3266, 3270, and 3271 to HTC

1998 Novabus LFS (yes, the one and only): 7298 to BTC

The D40's and C40's were given premature retirement due to being high floor, no?

2 hours ago, FlyingPig said:

The D40's and C40's were given premature retirement due to being high floor, no?

The D40's were not retired early, they were from 1991/92 and most were retired in 2009/2010 after 18-19 years of service.  The C40's were from 1995 and lasted until 2011 so around 16 years.  Slightly premature, but at the time the provincial government had ordered an audit of Translink, and one of the claims was that Translink had too high a spare ratio and it should be brought down.  The desire to follow that edict, coupled with the shelving of planned service expansion due to the financial situation at the time meant the bus fleet was reduced in size, and the C40's, being the oldest buses and still being high floor, got the axe.

5 hours ago, Unloading Only said:

It will be sad to see the Orions retired, although I imagine the 2009 ones still have quite a bit of time left. Is the idea to replace the 2001 ones with the Nova Suburban / double decker orders that are coming up?

Pretty much, although 5 of the 32 double deckers coming next year are for expansion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 8010 said:

Pretty much, although 5 of the 32 double deckers coming next year are for expansion.

Also, if trends continue, this doesn’t mean all the Series 50-powered Orion Vs will be gone within the next eighteen months. I’d expect at least a handful to stick around for expansion purposes and to pad the spare ratio.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, I just finished a draft map of a new Skytrain line from Inlet Center to Dundrave across the north shore. Unfortunately, the computer wouldn't let me upload it, so I have the station order listed here:

Inlet Center, Heritage Mountain-Hospital, Pleasantside, Ioco, White Pine Beach (Maybe only during summer), Belcarra, Deep Cove Rd, Parkgate, Strathaven, McCartney, Windsor, Riverside, Lillooet-Capilano University (On Mount Seymour Pkwy at Lillooet Rd), Phibbs Exchange, Brooksbank, Queensbury, Ridgeway, St. Georges, Lonsdale Quay, Automall, Hanes-Capilano Mall, Pemberton, Capilano, Park Royal Mall, Park Royal Village, Ambleside (Marine & 13th), John Lawson-17th, 21st Street (Would've done 22nd, but decided not to b/c of the one in NW), Dundrave.

I wonder what some of the pros and cons of this new line would be.

@Evan Hancock, it seems like a very long and roundabout route for a North Shore connection, with very little in the way of development potential between Deep Cove and Pleasantside.

Honestly, I’m inclined to say that the most logical North Shore rapid-transit connection is across the Second Narrows, either as an Expo Line extension through Sunrise or as a line along Willingdon to Metrotown. Combine that with 10-minute SeaBus service and you’re on to something.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Evan Hancock said:

Hey guys, I just finished a draft map of a new Skytrain line from Inlet Center to Dundrave across the north shore. Unfortunately, the computer wouldn't let me upload it, so I have the station order listed here:

Inlet Center, Heritage Mountain-Hospital, Pleasantside, Ioco, White Pine Beach (Maybe only during summer), Belcarra, Deep Cove Rd, Parkgate, Strathaven, McCartney, Windsor, Riverside, Lillooet-Capilano University (On Mount Seymour Pkwy at Lillooet Rd), Phibbs Exchange, Brooksbank, Queensbury, Ridgeway, St. Georges, Lonsdale Quay, Automall, Hanes-Capilano Mall, Pemberton, Capilano, Park Royal Mall, Park Royal Village, Ambleside (Marine & 13th), John Lawson-17th, 21st Street (Would've done 22nd, but decided not to b/c of the one in NW), Dundrave.

I wonder what some of the pros and cons of this new line would be.

It seems like a very expensive rail line for low ridership east of deep cove. It would be the fastest way between North Van and the Tri-cities, but there is challenging terrain, an extremely expensive bridge/tunnel, no good pre-existing ROW to follow, and  quite low ridership potential and population from Port Moody to Deep Cove.
The North Van portion, seems like a fairly standard good proposal, albeit there are some minor changes I would prefer.

That said, I do like the idea of connecting North Van to the Tri-cities as it would be significantly faster than any existing mode of transportation, while providing a regional connection that ties the region closer together. I had a similar idea in my map, but instead of rail, I chose gondola as it reduces cost by an order of magnitude compared to rail. It also minimizes disruption to the many natural areas and avoids the terrain, ROW, and bridge/tunnel obstacles, while still being significantly faster than anything else.

4 hours ago, GORDOOM said:

@Evan Hancock, it seems like a very long and roundabout route for a North Shore connection, with very little in the way of development potential between Deep Cove and Pleasantside. 

Honestly, I’m inclined to say that the most logical North Shore rapid-transit connection is across the Second Narrows, either as an Expo Line extension through Sunrise or as a line along Willingdon to Metrotown. Combine that with 10-minute SeaBus service and you’re on to something. 

I agree that there are other rapid transit connections that should be made to the North Shore before Deep Cove-Port Moody (Lion's Gate, Waterfront-Lonsdale, Second Narrows), but Deep Cove-Port Moody would provide a significant regional connection and alternate route to/from the North Shore. By providing a high quality transit option, it may also significantly reduces car use in otherwise completely car-dependent areas.

• Like 1

I haven't been working on my map very much lately because I've been working on separate maps for each individual route. Here's the map that I've made for the 906 Guildford/White Rock RapidBus (aka 96 B-Line):

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1RuOSHhSSdYoCzQbTbbLAppypuvOMK_vQ&ll=49.109681446927276%2C-122.82153299999999&z=12

The RapidBus maps will be styled similar to existing SkyTrain & B-Line maps and regular bus route maps will show every single stop along the route in both directions.

8 hours ago, Evan Hancock said:

Well perhaps a new seabus line from Deep Cove to Moody Centre would work if the depth wasn't too shallow. And it could connect with the millenium line

Instead of building a route from Deep Cove to Moody Centre, we should build a terminal from Ambleside to Waterfront. There's more demand on that route, and West Van riders have the option of riding the SeaBus, especially during rush hours. The 250 suffers from the two chokepoints at both ends of the Lion's Gate bridge.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Firebrand said:

Instead of building a route from Deep Cove to Moody Centre, we should build a terminal from Ambleside to Waterfront. There's more demand on that route, and West Van riders have the option of riding the SeaBus, especially during rush hours. The 250 suffers from the two chokepoints at both ends of the Lion's Gate bridge.

I think that's been an actual idea since the Seabus first launched, but it's never been put to actual planning as far as I know.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2018 at 9:59 PM, Brando737 said:

I think that's been an actual idea since the Seabus first launched, but it's never been put to actual planning as far as I know.

Just curious as to where the Ambleside terminal would go and if there would be a new bus exchange built, I'd assume somewhere between 13th and 15th Streets?

1 hour ago, 8010 said:

Just curious as to where the Ambleside terminal would go and if there would be a new bus exchange built, I'd assume somewhere between 13th and 15th Streets?

Personally I see it being built by 14th St next to the Hollyburn Sailing Club. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, translink said:

Personally I see it being built by 14th St next to the Hollyburn Sailing Club. 

I think a bus exchange could be built at the terminal as well, but that's NIMBY territory...

I guess if worse comes to worst they could just put 2 bus stops along Bellevue Avenue @ 14th Street, plus stops for 13th and 15th Streets because West Van needs a bus stop pretty much every single block for some reason.

• Like 1