The Wal-Mart Thread

vivablue5215

The Memorex batteries that my dad bought from Wal-Mart only last 5 minutes in my camera.

And the Memorex batteries you'd buy at any other store for more money would only last 5 minutes in your camera. You honestly believe that because they came from "Walmart" they're not as good?

As for the OP, what the hell does that have anything to do with Walmart other than someone pulling a childish stunt in a Walmart store? What if it happened at a Kmart, Safeway or Sears? We wouldn't hear 2 peeps from it, but because we all gotta jump on the Walmart bandwagon like mindless zombies it actually makes the news and it actually gets discussed by various internet forum and it is actually believed by some that this is Walmart policy ... my, my, my how pathectic of a society we have become.

I've gotten attacked on other forums for this, but here's the thing, if you buy a brand name product at Walmart, guess what? Its the same freakin' make, model, colour, weight, dimensions, smell and probably even came off the same bloody truck for as the same model that came off right beside it on the assembly plant that ended up in another store down the street for more money.

I shop there several times a week, and according to other people on other forums that means I "love" Walmart ... but heres the thing, I have X amount of dollars to spend a month and I need X number of products .... I can assure you that I will be going to do my shopping where ever I get the most for my money, and its not always Walmart.

I just put some all seasons on my car and they cost me $61 each at Walmart ... compared to $100 plus as the next "cheapest". Granted, they're a brand that no other store (that I'm aware of) carries yet but (and heres the clue kids ..... Google!) is well distributed around the world and has excellent reviews ... however, the company is now trying to get into the North American market and the only way to do that is to sell their products cheap, cheap, cheap.

Its amazing what a few minutes on Google will tell you instead of just jumping on some mindless bandwagon like a headless chicken who can't make decisions for themselves.

So, comparing Walmart with the next cheapest ,I ended up saving myself $200 ... but I guess I would be better off on that bandwagon and spending the extra $200 because Walmart is bad :lol:

Oh yeah, if I wanted the new valve stems, tire rotation every 10000km, full warranty I would have had to pay even more at the other place but it was all included in the measly $340 I spent at Walmart.

But sometimes the roles are reversed, sometimes Walmart is more expensive. For example, the Calgary Stampede breakfast sausage patties regularly cost $5.98 at Superstore and Walmart, for a short time wanted $9.98 for the same size package.

And the Memorex batteries you'd buy at any other store for more money would only last 5 minutes in your camera. You honestly believe that because they came from "Walmart" they're not as good?

lol, didnt respond that one, but digtal cameras drain batteries that are not made for high drainage devices, thats why you use rechargable or batteries that are made for devices that drain the battery fast (unless your camera uses a special battery pack) getting back to the topic, my parents shop at walmart, my dad likes to the save money wherever he can and he doesn't not care where he shops

lol, didnt respond that one, but digtal cameras drain batteries that are not made for high drainage devices, thats why you use rechargable or batteries that are made for devices that drain the battery fast (unless your camera uses a special battery pack)

Exactly! If you need to use dispossible batteries for a digicam, Energizer's Lithiums are really good ... a bit pricey ... but you can get them a bit cheaper at Walmart :lol:

getting back to the topic, my parents shop at walmart, my dad likes to the save money wherever he can and he doesn't not care where he shops

And that is exactly why most people shop at Walmart, because they get what they need for less .... bottom line.

Other "Walmart is bad zombie bandwagon" arguments I get a chuckle out of....

- Walmart treats their employees like crap, they only pay them minimum wage, no benefits, blah, blah, blah. Hmmmm, kinda like McDonalds, Timmies, Superstore, Wendys, Canadian Tire, etc? Walmart pays their employees what they legaly have to (just like everyone else) and as for benefits, believe it or not, a lot of people who work there are just secondary providers and already have benefits through their parthers or parents. Believe it or not, there are people who actually choose to work at Walmart and they like it .... wow, that must be a real shock to those zombies out there.

- Walmarts products are made in sweatshops. You mean the Samsung TV or Levi's jeans I buy at Walmart are made in a sweatshop but the Samsung TV or Levi's jeans I buy at another store down the street are not? Wow, thats good to know .... :lol:

- Walmart bankrupts companies by forcing them to sell their product undercosts. You mean Walmart goes to companies, holds a gun to their heads and forces them to sell their products at their stores? Here's a hint .... there's no question that Walmart is cutthroat when it comes to business, yet manufacturers, knowing this and knowing the risk, still line up to get their products on their shelves .... weird, huh? Guess the bandwagon better make its way over to the manufactuers and tell them how to run their businesses ... :P

I totally agree wit you!

Edit: It turns out that it was a teenager the whole time,

http://njtransitinfo.totalh.com/forum/view...?f=17&t=549

He was a 16 year old, and the news doesn't want to release his name cause of the situation

I would like to add something in regards to the whole "wal-mart products are poor" argument in regards to my personal experience.

I bought two of the same LED bulbs on the same day last year from two different stores. One was from Home Hardware, the other from Wal-Mart. About a month ago, the Wal-Mart one died and it is only like 4 months old. The Home Hardware one is still going strong.

I also bought the same polishing cloths from Home Hardware and Wal-Mart last year too. The Wal-Mart ones that I bought had the colour of them wash out everytime I washed them and they became rough rather quickly. In the end I threw them out and stuck to using the Home Hardware ones. Those ones are still looking good and feeling good.

Now these are my experiences. From these experiences now I only buy stuff from Wal-Mart if I don't plan on it lasting a while. The only good stuff I find at Wal-Mart is the candy.

I would like to add something in regards to the whole "wal-mart products are poor" argument in regards to my personal experience.

I bought two of the same LED bulbs on the same day last year from two different stores. One was from Home Hardware, the other from Wal-Mart. About a month ago, the Wal-Mart one died and it is only like 4 months old. The Home Hardware one is still going strong.

I also bought the same polishing cloths from Home Hardware and Wal-Mart last year too. The Wal-Mart ones that I bought had the colour of them wash out everytime I washed them and they became rough rather quickly. In the end I threw them out and stuck to using the Home Hardware ones. Those ones are still looking good and feeling good.

Now these are my experiences. From these experiences now I only buy stuff from Wal-Mart if I don't plan on it lasting a while. The only good stuff I find at Wal-Mart is the candy.

Wouldn`t both of those above experiences be from how much each LED bulb/cloth gets used? Just to clarify. Thanks.

Don't get me started on that mobbed up company.

As much as I hate Telus with a passion, I find that most people really hate a telephone company. I think Bell is the lesser of 3 evils. It was recommended to me after I had enough of Telus, and I have liked it... generally speaking. I've met others that like Bell, and I've met others that get a look of horror on their face when they find out I'm with Bell.

- Walmart treats their employees like crap, they only pay them minimum wage, no benefits, blah, blah, blah. Hmmmm, kinda like McDonalds, Timmies, Superstore, Wendys, Canadian Tire, etc? Walmart pays their employees what they legaly have to (just like everyone else) and as for benefits, believe it or not, a lot of people who work there are just secondary providers and already have benefits through their parthers or parents. Believe it or not, there are people who actually choose to work at Walmart and they like it .... wow, that must be a real shock to those zombies out there.

Agreed. While it would be nice if Walmart could pay their employees a little more since they do make a large profit it's not like their breaking any laws or enslaving the workers.

The Walmart I went to in Winnipeg was pretty nice and had a good selection of stuff I thought. While I prefer other stores I still shop at Walmart about once or twice a month to save money on some things.

My reasons about why I don't like Walmart are these.

With all due respect, I call bogus on that. Why would an identical product (as you claim) from one store last longer than from another store? If you think that a manufacturer actually has the resources and money to come up with a seperate line to produce cheaper and inferior products, you may want to look up in taking a bit of Manufacturing Business 101 ... it doesn't work that way.

Most manufacturers have a quality control program, and if the manufacturer also produces products for other "cheaper" brands, the products that don't make the quality test for brand A, will then be passed on to brand B and so on.

Having said that, Brand A has a certain reputation of quality standard and they will not jeopordize that by putting in a product that did not pass their own in house qualtiy control standards regardless where its sold. In fact, given the sheer volume that Walmart buys, that would mean the manufacturer would be producing more inferior products than quality products, and if their a name brand, they're simply not going to do that because they have other obligations in other stores ... it simply makes no sense and is completely impracticle from a business stand point.

So, either they weren't identical products, or one is being used quite differently than the other or that the Walmart bulb/cloth was one of the products that escaped quality control and ended up at Walmart by chance or that one is so brainwashed that one actually believes the Walmart product is inferior.

Don't take this reply personally, however, having been involved in the manufacturing and CSR industry for close to 10 years myself I know quite too well that no products under the same brand are of different quality just because they land in store A or store B.

Cobourg wal-mart has a geocery store now. I'm sick of the over priced stores like Metro.

Shopping Localy and shopping at wal-mart for alot of people means the differce between going hungry and not!

I dont get the Wal-Mart Haterd.

Local/mainstreet arnt any differnt from wal-mart.

-Stuff from main street comes from China too, offen the same factory as the stuff from wal-mart

-Main Street Bussiness treat there employees like shit too, some times worse then wal-mart

-Mainstreet offen pays less with no benifits,

-Mainstreet in college towns, will only hire students, becuase of the tax credit, and the fact they dont need to pay out as many raises and are easy to replace.

-Mainstreet offers mostly partime,minium wage , there employees cant even afford to shop on mainstreet, try paying for rent, utilitys, and food on 700 a month.

-Mainstreet is 9-5, if they where open from 12-10 they could compete better with wal-mart

-Mainstreet bussiness rarly price compete with each other.

This is the big one!

-Mainsteet bussiness are offen owned by people who arnt even Local!, some dont even live in the same country!

I dont get the Wal-Mart Haterd.

Its just human nature, someone starts a bandwagon, gets enough people convinced, gains momentum and gets more people jumping on it for no other reason then just to be "one of the gang". You see this same phenomenen in sports events once play-offs come around. People who have maybe only watched 2 games in their lives suddenly become fans of their team just because they're in the play-offs.

Its just human nature, someone starts a bandwagon, gets enough people convinced, gains momentum and gets more people jumping on it for no other reason then just to be "one of the gang". You see this same phenomenen in sports events once play-offs come around. People who have maybe only watched 2 games in their lives suddenly become fans of their team just because they're in the play-offs.

olympics too, honestly if it the games werent held in canada would anybody even care?

Yeah, I was never a sports fan by any means, so I was pretty much "it's nice if we won gold, but at the end of the day I really couldn't care less."

haha.. I feel the SAME way!

But with wal-mart, I could go on and on, but one of the big problems with them people have, is that many wal-marts move into these area's and "takeover" small mom and pop type businesses, or just your local guy/girl running their small bike shop/clothing shop/grocery store etc. Then big box store wal-mart comes in and most of the time mom/pop/local guy/girl have no choice but to shut down their business. In that way I see wal-mart kind of like a big bully.

But with wal-mart, I could go on and on, but one of the big problems with them people have, is that many wal-marts move into these area's and "takeover" small mom and pop type businesses, or just your local guy/girl running their small bike shop/clothing shop/grocery store etc. Then big box store wal-mart comes in and most of the time mom/pop/local guy/girl have no choice but to shut down their business. In that way I see wal-mart kind of like a big bully.

Kinda like what Superstore, Safeway, Save-on, Kmart, Zellers, Target, etc. do? <_<

and these guys are really well noted for it :(

6695.jpg

Rexall? Does anyone even go to Rexall? :lol: I've been there once, but only becuause the were next to the walk in clinic :blink: I prefer London Drugs but only because they've got some darn nice cameras ;)