Hamilton Street Railway

Hybrid0920

On 2/14/2023 at 10:47 PM, hamilton.area.transit said:

0701, 0709, 0711 and 0720 have been listed for the next upcoming auction starting on the 25th

Edit: 0520 is also up there now.

Coming back to this, can I please get an update if those buses were each sold? 

The buses kept for training purposes are 704, 706, 710, 712, 714, 715, 716, 718, 721, 803. These vehicles have had fareboxes, bike racks, presto readers, radios, etc. removed but are still licensed for the road and maintained.

In other news, bus # 70 (replica trolley) has been retired. During a recent MTO inspection, it was discovered that a lot of work would be required for it to pass and the decision was made that it was not worthwhile, Bus # 71 remains available for charter but rarely goes out. Occasionally it will be used for the driver's shuttle but once again this year, it will not be used for route 99 due to the lack of an operator shield.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, Seashore_518203 said:

In other news, bus # 70 (replica trolley) has been retired. During a recent MTO inspection, it was discovered that a lot of work would be required for it to pass and the decision was made that it was not worthwhile, Bus # 71 remains available for charter but rarely goes out. Occasionally it will be used for the driver's shuttle but once again this year, it will not be used for route 99 due to the lack of an operator shield.

So, in short, #70 is officially retired for sure, or will it need to get work done in order to return to service? Also, please tell the management at HSR to get a shield on #71, so I can ride it this summer. 

26 minutes ago, The Squishy Bus said:

So, in short, #70 is officially retired for sure, or will it need to get work done in order to return to service? Also, please tell the management at HSR to get a shield on #71, so I can ride it this summer. 

What point of "has been retired" was not clear in @Seashore_518203's post?

As for getting a ride on 71, the idea of HSR (and Hamilton's taxpayers) paying to design and install a driver shield for the sole purpose of allowing you a ride on it is laughable.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Seashore_518203 said:

The buses kept for training purposes are 704, 706, 710, 712, 714, 715, 716, 718, 721, 803. These vehicles have had fareboxes, bike racks, presto readers, radios, etc. removed but are still licensed for the road and maintained.

I am surprised they removed the bike racks. It's a good idea to train the drivers to operate the vehicle with a bike on front. Is HSR doing a major hiring? That's quite a lot of trainer buses.

2 hours ago, Seashore_518203 said:

Does the HSR usually hold back so many buses for training or is that a new thing? I don't recall any buses being stripped of their equipment to be kept for training before and certainly not a dozen of them.

2 hours ago, hamilton.area.transit said:

I dont think you know how much it costs for ONE shield, and i highly doubt you have that money laying around.

True. In terms of unit cost, it's worse to only need one shield instead of two. There would almost certainly be a setup cost to design and shape a new shield for the trolley, on top of the actual item itself. You're likely not just dropping in a part scavenged from the retired New Flyers. If 70 were still in-service, that cost could be spread over two pieces (though still not a great value). You also have to consider, how much life does the bus have left to justify any real expense?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mishap said:

True. In terms of unit cost, it's worse to only need one shield instead of two. There would almost certainly be a setup cost to design and shape a new shield for the trolley, on top of the actual item itself. You're likely not just dropping in a part scavenged from the retired New Flyers. If 70 were still in-service, that cost could be spread over two pieces (though still not a great value). You also have to consider, how much life does the bus have left to justify any real expense?

Actually I now understand your points. I apologize. 

18 hours ago, Wonka said:

Does the HSR usually hold back so many buses for training or is that a new thing? I don't recall any buses being stripped of their equipment to be kept for training before and certainly not a dozen of them.

Yes, this appears to be a new thing. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, hamilton.area.transit said:

Im pretty sure you mean 0703, not 0704. 0704 is privately owned by a person in Alberta.

You are probably correct. Those fleet numbers were just cut and pasted from an email I received from the Maintenance Department so it is entirely possible that there may have been errors.

in terms of keeping buses past their retirement, it is not the first time. HSR used buses 801-812 (rebuilt GMC T6H-4521) buses for charters only (with farebox removed) for a year or two after they had been retired in the early 1990s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/18/2023 at 1:32 PM, hamilton.area.transit said:

Im pretty sure you mean 0703, not 0704. 0704 is privately owned by a person in Alberta.

Well hello, I be the private owner of 0704

IMG_0886.jpeg

On 5/18/2023 at 7:07 AM, The Squishy Bus said:

Coming back to this, can I please get an update if those buses were each sold? 

When I went to pick up 0704, in the beginning of April, 0520 and 0709 were still in the auction yard. Not sure if they didn't sell, but I never saw them online after.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

HSR had issued open bid for the new Lime Ridge terminal, attached are preliminary drawings of the new terminal to be built at the south-west corner. Current expectations from the city are to have construction start by end of year into early 2024, with completion in winter 2024.

mallterm1.png

mallterm2.png

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Vekoma said:

HSR had issued open bid for the new Lime Ridge terminal, attached are preliminary drawings of the new terminal to be built at the south-west corner. Current expectations from the city are to have construction start by end of year into early 2024, with completion in winter 2024.

mallterm1.png

mallterm2.png

So the new terminal is gonna be closer to the highway? Interesting. Hey, any change to that terminal is welcome news, it's long needed an upgrade in my opinion. 

I like how the terminal is a bit closer to the street but at the same time I don't like how (much like it is now) theres basically no proper pedestrian walkway from the terminal to the mall. Eastgate terminal is a lot better in that regard with a wide, covered walkway with benches from the terminal to the front doors. I dunno how much control the city has over that but I'm sure CF could afford to do better there. When the system redesign happens, this new terminal is gonna be a lot busier than it is now and I hope they don't expect all of those pedestrians to cross a sea of parking spots.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, hamilton.area.transit said:

Units 924, 926, 929, 930 and 933 have been marked as retired on the wiki. Not sure if thats accurate. Can someone confirm?

Thanks for the observation. As has been mentioned before in the past, just because a bus has not been in service for quite a few months does not mean they are retired. The 0900 artics will not be officially retired until they are replaced by new XN60 artics. Even though the buses listed above are parked "up the hill" and will most likely never see service again, they are not retired at this point. 

Can we determine who made this change to the wiki and inform them as to the importance of reliable sources when updating information?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Seashore_518203 said:

Can we determine who made this change to the wiki and inform them as to the importance of reliable sources when updating information?

It looks like the Hamilton Street Railway 920-937 page was last edited by @Stalwart23 on April 15, 2023, where the status and "retirement" dates were added for those 5 units.

Doing a quick check, it appears the dates on the Wiki page correspond to the last time they appeared in service on Transsee, so it's likely that site (or another app) is the "source" of the data.

Would it be appropriate to change the five units to "Inactive" rather than Retired, to note that they are unlikely to return to service?

• Like 1

Does anyone have any update on the New Articulated Busses that the HSR has ordered.  When are they expected to be delivered?   

As for Fall 2023,  the recent Bus News notes that "Significant Service Improvements" such as Sunday Service on 10 B-Line and 20 A-Line and an extension of route 55 to Winona.   What other Service Improvements are expected?    I ask because Ancaster needs better bus service and the 5 Delaware route desperately needs better service on the Tails such as 5A/5C on the weekends.   

If anyone has any inside info on near future plans,  they are greatly appreciated. 

Thanks a lot for all your knowledge 

Darren 

On 6/14/2023 at 8:41 AM, hamilton.area.transit said:

The summer bus news has released. The 99 will now travel from King and Summers Lane to Bayfront Park. It'll use Bay Street (Northbound) and James Street (Southbound). The stops for NB are: 

Bay at Vine

Bay at Mulberry

Bay at Barton

Bay at Strachan

Bayfront Park.

Southbound stops are:

Bayfront Park

James at West Harbour GO

James at Colbourne

James at Cannon

James at King

King opposite Summers Lane.

Its also announced that starting in September 2023, routes 10 B-Line Express and 20 A-Line Express will run all day 7 days a week. Also starting in September 2023, route 55 will be extended to Winona Crossing (Costco Plaza)

Could the 99 primiarily be using Vicinities?

4 hours ago, newflyerinvero said:

Could the 99 primiarily be using Vicinities?

When I rode the 99 when it was the fake trolleys, it was a very dead route. Other guy is right. You'll pretty much see anything on it.