General WTF Moments

Cogeno

19 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

Maybe until Orthodox Christmas is over (Jan. 07, 2021) ???

Maybe!  We'll find out tomorrow morning.  The Christmas music was still playing today though and Burl Ives was imploring me to have a holly jolly Christmas while I was passing through to get my coffee this morning.  Mistletoe?  MistleNO!

• Like 1

I have received at least 6 voice messages today that consist of nothing but pure silence, or, occasionally, the sound of a phone ringing. Some of these show up in my call log and I immediately block; when I came home from work I checked my messages and found THREE of them and not one showed up in my call log. Leave me alone!!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

I have received at least 6 voice messages today that consist of nothing but pure silence, or, occasionally, the sound of a phone ringing. Some of these show up in my call log and I immediately block; when I came home from work I checked my messages and found THREE of them and not one showed up in my call log. Leave me alone!!!!

Is this on your cell or landline?  I have Telus on my landline and they have a free feature called Call Control that filters out all these types of calls. Works great. I've had it a few years now.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

Is this on your cell or landline?  I have Telus on my landline and they have a free feature called Call Control that filters out all these types of calls. Works great. I've had it a few years now.

It was on my cell phone. However, I searched through the app store and found something like this that exists for cell phones, so I'll be grabbing that. Thanks for the tip!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, PCC Guy said:

Thanks for the tip!

You are most welcome.  I hope it works for you. Call Control didn't work for me at first, but after phoning Telus, and the clerk trying to tell me I was doing something wrong (how hard is it to flip a 'toggle' ???) they looked into it and it was a glitch on their end. They had a 'guy from service' on it right away and it was working in a matter of minutes.

Basically, it is an interface that instructs the caller to 'press or dial' a specific number. This can only be done if the caller is 'real', robocalls do not pass this 'test' and the call ends without ringing at my end.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, captaintrolley said:

Easter Candy at Safeway already... haven't even had Valentine's Day yet.

69823207-872B-41F0-801A-104224973987.thumb.jpeg.7e199553c22a2e7963a1895d7d5b07d8.jpeg

At least one of our stores is stocked with Valentine’s crap.

I took that picture a few days ago and sent it to one of my friends along with a message saying wondering how much of it is going to sell with the variety of lockdowns and stay at home orders and no socializing with anybody outside of your own household that’s totally kiboshed the idea of dating.

And with no dating going on, how much of the market for Valentines stuff like this remains?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

69823207-872B-41F0-801A-104224973987.thumb.jpeg.7e199553c22a2e7963a1895d7d5b07d8.jpeg

At least one of our stores is stocked with Valentine’s crap.

I took that picture a few days ago and sent it to one of my friends along with a message saying wondering how much of it is going to sell with the variety of lockdowns and stay at home orders and no socializing with anybody outside of your own household that’s totally kiboshed the idea of dating.

And with no dating going on, how much of the market for Valentines stuff like this remains?

Most likely after Valentine's Day when it all gets discounted. Some people prefer getting some cheap chocolate and candy.

• 2 weeks later...

Because it's 1999, I bought a CD copy of a fairly obscure racing game on Amazon this past weekend for $10 + shipping.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_(video_game)

This morning, I got an email saying that the order has been cancelled, without a word of explanation. I went to the product page for the game and the same seller is now selling the game for $45 + shipping.

?

• Sad 2

The time when I want to catch up on episodes of Weakest Link (only available on CTV which is the Canadian carrier and NBC owns the show). 

Which requires logging into an account that is attached to a television account. You would think it be that easy.

Nope. When I wanted to play the video, it says "you need to create a nickname." Understandable. Then press play.

Nope. It asks me to subscribe to additional CTV channels. 

After that, I was able to watch the first episode of Weakest Link. Which you would think it be a straightforward process. Instead they had to add some additional steps to deter the cord cutters by blocking the content with a television subscription. I understand with the content rights and wanting to recoup the costs of creating such content which can be expensive to produce. 

At least if I watch directly on the website, don't have to deal with the ads or recording it on my PVR. 

Though maybe I should have watched it on-demand. Later realizing it was there and not have to deal with the lengthy process. 

Vintage Kodak Velox F2 Film Roll, 2 Bundles, 250Ft Each

What the fuck is this shit?  It's ruined!  All 500 feet of it is ruined!  The moment this person opened those boxes of film to take a picture of the actual photographic material itself it for that eBay listing and exposed it to light, it was ruined!

Some people.

• Haha 3

The time when I thought Hydro One was bad with billing issues reported years ago. Just imagine having to deal with a major event and then having to pay an expensive bill for circumstances outside your control.

Difference with Hydro One was because of technical and computer issues with how data was not captured correctly leading to assumptions on usage to billing periods not being calculated properly. Where as the case with Texas, it mostly affects the wholesale rates where as if it was a fixed rate, they can't increase the hydro rate beyond what is contracted. 

When Ontario gave an option for a fixed rate around the clock versus time of use, I jumped on the fixed rate immediately. Because it can be difficult shifting to a lower peak period. 

I think the utility companies in Texas who offer wholesale plans will be needing to reevaluate how it is offered. Though I think the rate holders should also read their contracts carefully regarding signing such a contract especially the "variable" part. 

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/texans-faced-with-thousands-of-dollars-in-electric-bills-after-winter-storm-1.5317797?cid=sm%3Atrueanthem%3Actvnews%3Apost&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A New Content (Feed)&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR1GpOrK5CsrbavBff4-9m8tUV-Nrdv1fhog9nYjAzTd09rFMPUex6S6J00

https://www.vox.com/2021/2/20/22292926/texas-high-electric-bills-winter-storm-griddy

Co-worker of mine told me yesterday that someone tried to pay for something using their driver's license. When it didn't work, all they had to say to that was "No tap?"

:wacko:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

Co-worker of mine told me yesterday that someone tried to pay for something using their driver's license. When it didn't work, all they had to say to that was "No tap?"

:wacko:

There is if it's a rare, limited edition, can't get them anymore discontinued by Doug Ford shortly after he got elected Enhanced Driver's License.  Those have RFID chips in them so you can tap them on RFID readers.  Still not going work to pay for anything.  They were good for crossing the border by land with the United States though.

Anybody want to start a charity drive 50/50 contest?  $1 per guess.  Will the border be reopened before or after the last of the Enhanced Driver's Licenses that Ontario issued expire?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You would think our own government be responsible with sensitive info. Instead, they are locking out over 800,000 online accounts to protect such data. Considering that security issues with Canada Revenue Agency has happened frequently over the last year alone and the lack of a plan to address such flaws.

People are always concerned regarding how private companies like Facebook accumulate so much data and having to take the necessary measures to protect such data. Yet our own government can't seem to learn from the private businesses such as two-step verification that would block a compromised account.

Even my utility provider requested everyone enable two-step verification along with banks removing the security questions option. Canada Revenue Agency does have a lot of power, but can't really keep things under control when things go wrong. 

https://globalnews.ca/news/7693382/cra-800k-locked-accounts/?utm_medium=Facebook&utm_source=GlobalToronto&fbclid=IwAR17JZq_hiGiR8OKM5ynWP6L7aA4LS8kAGto73qyLv4q9iG8qWWVsKwESOg

• 3 weeks later...

This happened a week ago but its been pissing me off ever since. I officially learned to never discuss details about my private life to other coworkers unless I know that it won't bite me in the ass. 

At my grocery store job, there is one coworker who is considered lazy yet demands more hours and has been around for the last six years. The boss never gives him more than 16 Hours a week while I've been there for the last year and got 35 a week at one point. One night a few months ago, I was almost off when he came to the store when he was shopping. I was on the floor cleaning it up before returning to the back. He asked me a bunch of personal questions including what my ambitions are, what I was doing before the pandemic and etc. Not trying to be rude and was also tired, I willingly answered them. Now I regret that. A few days later, boss calls me into the office where he told me that he complained to his superiors that I was double/triple hours and that I have another job. At the time, I was working 35 Hours at the grocery store + 32 at my other job. I told screw him, he doesn't work hard and that its my fault that I worked my ass off to earn those hours? 

Well to last week. The guy doesn't stop bugging me every time I'm around. Seems like the boss doesn't care when I told him and he told me to tell him to f**k off when he does that. (Gee, how will that work out with HR?) Well here's the WTF Moment out of this story. I was about to head off to lunch when he came to me and won't shut up. I told him cut to the point and he asked me about my other job. Told him it was slow and more layoffs / LOAs are happening. He asked me for a job when it gets busy again. I was astounded. 

TL:DR: So this guy who is a lazy f*ck at work rats me out cause I work 70 Hours between two jobs asks me for a job at the company I work for. 

This really pissed me off and still is annoying me. Rats me out to the boss and asks me for a job? REALLY. While I am willing to help someone out, there is no chance in hell I would help him. Even if he didn't rat me out, I am not vouching for someone who is not capable for the job. Aside several entry exams, there are plenty of ways to get injured or killed at the airport if you don't know what your doing. 

For the record, I don't work 70 Hours a week anymore. Life is too short. I only work around 45 now between the two cause my health was quickly deteriorating. 

1 hour ago, Greatcoinz said:

While I am willing to help someone out, there is no chance in hell I would help him. Even if he didn't rat me out, I am not vouching for someone who is not capable for the job.

Smart thinking on your part. The wrong person can make you both look bad, and if he did get injured or worse, it would be on your conscience forever. You have a good head on your shoulders, don't let anyone mess with it. I am proud of you, keep up the excellent work, and look after yourself and your health so you can always put your best you forward. ♥

Some choice WTF customers from work today: some "contractor" who paid $1500 in cash for some kitchen stuff and wanted to return it (we had to count all that cash out), and a guy who waited until after I'd issued a refund for an online order to his card to tell me that he had closed his account and had a new card. Great, what should've been a two minute affair ended up taking over 20 minutes as we had to call tech support and get the problem sorted. They couldn't sort it out either, customer had to call his bank.

I'm not fully convinced I'm not on a hidden camera show at this point.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got back from the basement at work.  Bumped into someone I know in another department and we were talking about all these pallets lining the hallway and the challenges staff on hand are having moving them around with hand truck jacks and getting them in and out of trucks because all of the forklift operators are working from home!

Pardon me?  Say again?  All of the forklift operators are working from home.

You know the stay at home managers who've been out of the building for 13 months and counting now have become totally divorced from reality when they're assigning the forklift operators to stay home.

W

T

F

• Haha 2

Rogers!  Rogers!  Paging Mr. Rogers!  Paging Mr. Ted Rogers!  Paging Mr. Ted Rogers on a Maclean-Hunter pager!

W

T

F

It isn't just the neighbourhood, Mr. Rogers, it's the whole country!

CANTEL CAN'T TEL since about midnight, Mr. Rogers.

Did someone trip over the wrong extension cord at 1 Mount Pleasant?

Have you gotten someone to try turning it off and back on again?

Can I have my pre-Rogers Microcell Solutions Fido back, please?

Even with the hiccups they had, they never crashed out like this and they cost a hell of a lot less.

Interesting that I ordered 3 boxes of disposable masks from Dollarama online. $6 for a box of 50 masks and the flat rate shipping is $9.99. No free shipping from what I have seen noting it is usually for orders bought in bulk.

The order gets fulfilled, but shipped in three separate items instead of one bag. At least they delivered directly to my home in two separate drop offs. One dropped off one and the other dropped off two. 

Especially when I know Dollarama is benefitting from the pandemic because of their price point, but you would think they could ship it all in one order versus three separate ones.