General WTF Moments

Cogeno

I'd been eyeing a boroscope inspection camera that was on sale at Princess Auto and decided to pick one up on Thursday.  I need something to check out the fireplace chimney with and a few other things.

Anyhow, the local store had a bunch so I decided to stop by after work and I ended up picking up a bunch of things.  They had screw driver sets with Pozidrive bits!  It's like a Philips but it's not a Philips and you can get away with a Philips some of the time...sort of...but you can damage things easily if you do that and Hewlett-Packard used that in some of their equipment so I'd rather have the correct drivers if the need comes up while servicing my own gear but I digress...

I could not find the inspection cameras though so I asked one of the staff.  He couldn't find it and said they were right on and end shelf between aisles right at the front of the store and a light bulb went off.  Five left, all gone, not stored in one of those locked cabinets where someone one staff gets it and takes it to the cash register for you, I bet they walked.  And that would explain the discrepancy between what the inventory system was saying on their internal computers and on the public website and what was actually available for sale.

I went and paid for everything else at the cash register and the lady asked if the guy who was helping me and I were able to find the camera.  I said no and that given where they were, I wouldn't be surprised if they got five finger discounted.  Her response was yeah, probably, consider the neighbourhood and we were trading stories and she broke off and started going "Look at that!  Look at that!  Look at that!" - this girl in her 20s was marching out of the store between the two cash registers both arms out in front carrying a full load of merchandise!

Sheeesh.

The lady at the register and I agreed that's probably exactly what happened to those five cameras.  I paid for everything else I got and ordered the camera online.  They shipped it from a store that had one and it arrived today but I haven't had a chance to open the box yet.

• Like 1

The time when someone asks me to use MY PHONE just to log into their Snapchat. I honestly told them outright no because there is too much risk with that.

That someone literally had their own phone to login with. If I were him, I would worry about getting home instead of checking his social media just after 11 PM. 

Some people are so dependent on their apps that they would literally try to use another person's phone just to access. The Social Dilemma exists on Netflix. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/11/2021 at 12:06 PM, GTAmissions1 said:

The time when someone asks me to use MY PHONE just to log into their Snapchat. I honestly told them outright no because there is too much risk with that.

That someone literally had their own phone to login with. If I were him, I would worry about getting home instead of checking his social media just after 11 PM. 

Some people are so dependent on their apps that they would literally try to use another person's phone just to access. The Social Dilemma exists on Netflix. 

I have Instagram and Twitter, but I havent accessed since almost three months!

My own WTF moment: My father. Dad's not a fan of "Useless Items" but lets me have an entire array of useless items in my room. Coupled with his hatred of technology (Even after he hates tech, he's got almost a dozen cell phones, literally)

He goes through MY stuff, and takes MY mouse and MY keyboard, that MY friend gave ME, and this isn't the first time. This man is pissing me off intentionally now.

Couple that with the fact that he's always telling me that YouTube isn't a career when I've seen guys that had a legitimate income ON YOUTUBE, and my dadtells me that YouTube isn't a career.

I'm fed up with my father right now, but for all his being a walking jerkwad, he's got his reasons and motives. If Dad were a police detective, he'd probably have already solved half of the 6,000 cold cases that normal cops gave up on.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

I just don't understand why Tim Horton's decided to collaborate with Justin Bieber for their so called "Tim-Biens" offering. 

Will it "Make Tim Horton's Great Again"? It's anyone's guess. 

Oh god, I thought Tim Horton was something Jeff Favignano made up for YouTube content! Apparently not!

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, ASzy said:

Oh god, I thought Tim Horton was something Jeff Favignano made up for YouTube content! Apparently not!

Tim Horton's is real.  Tim Horton's actually used to be good once upon a time.  Quality went bad around 2000 when they got the automatic cream and sugar dispensing machines and put stuff in the coffee for you, instead of you doing it yourself.  At the same time, they completely, utterly cheaped out on the coffee and it's dogbowl water and ditched baking the pastries from scratch in each shop in favour of shipping in these awful half baked, frozen, reheat in store garbage from a central bakery.

Now that I think about it, ganging up with Justin Bieber actually makes sense.  It's the perfect pairing of one Canadian mediocre mass market over-saccharine pile of barf with another.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

Tim Horton's is real.  Tim Horton's actually used to be good once upon a time.  Quality went bad around 2000 when they got the automatic cream and sugar dispensing machines and put stuff in the coffee for you, instead of you doing it yourself.  At the same time, they completely, utterly cheaped out on the coffee and it's dogbowl water and ditched baking the pastries from scratch in each shop in favour of shipping in these awful half baked, frozen, reheat in store garbage from a central bakery.

Now that I think about it, ganging up with Justin Bieber actually makes sense.  It's the perfect pairing of one Canadian mediocre mass market over-saccharine pile of barf with another.

JB's more a pile of dog s*&% mixed with skunk spray that went bad.

In my opinion

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

JB as in Justin Bieber or Jack Barakat? By the way, Jack Barakat is one of the members of the pop-punk band from Baltimore, USA called "All Time Low". 

JB as Justin. Music is $%#@, don't know about the person hiding behind.

I do know that Kevin Hart made it possible for a thousand kids between ages five and 18 to get stuff through the Boy's and Girl's Clubs, where everyone got a hundred dollars to blow. KH is good.

To keep this thread on topic, I'll be more than willing to take into PM.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ASzy said:

Anyhoo, another WTF moment - from the past. Over the years in my elementary and high school career, I often get rude (and sometimes hurtful) remarks about me. There's one EA/teacher that I knew in the past (it still haunts me to this day) who discriminates my writing as "Chicken Scratch". 

I wanted to complain against that EA/teacher but sadly I didn't have the means back then to complain. Only concern is, had I went ahead to complain against the EA and that EA will know (and accuse me and even spreading blackmail) that I filed a complaint against them (and even give me an apology),  will they "counter-complain" (is there such a word of that?) against me? 

13 hours ago, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

Anyhoo, another WTF moment - from the past. Over the years in my elementary and high school career, I often get rude (and sometimes hurtful) remarks about me. There's one EA/teacher that I knew in the past (it still haunts me to this day) who discriminates my writing as "Chicken Scratch". 

I wanted to complain against that EA/teacher but sadly I didn't have the means back then to complain. Only concern is, had I went ahead to complain against the EA and that EA will know (and accuse me and even spreading blackmail) that I filed a complaint against them (and even give me an apology),  will they "counter-complain" (is there such a word of that?) against me? 

A teacher ALWAYS finds some way to take points off your grade. Should they hate you enough, they'll also take any excuse to write you up and get you out of there. In 8th grade, had a bitchy english teacher who hated that entire class in general, because the class overall was louder than an ongoing explosion. Anyway, Ms. Doe wrote me up so many times for next to nothing. If anyone so much as said "So this can be compared to So-and-So, while that one stands alone?" Ms. Doe wrote them up for rudeness, disorderly conduct, interrupting a lesson, yada yada. It's bogus, and I wonder why she didn't get shit-canned for that, even when witnesses corroborated Richard Roe for his comment about comparing "this with So-and-So" and trying to understand that lesson/The material to understand.

On the opposite end, there was my Automation & Robotics teacher that same year, as well as my seventh-grade Science insructor, both of whom did not care one bit for what you did after you were finished, as long as you were quiet.

On 12/14/2021 at 7:31 AM, ASzy said:

JB as Justin. Music is $%#@, don't know about the person hiding behind.

I do know that Kevin Hart made it possible for a thousand kids between ages five and 18 to get stuff through the Boy's and Girl's Clubs, where everyone got a hundred dollars to blow. KH is good.

Ongoing my opinion of Kevin Hart, this man was awesome with his role in Jumanji, as the cake-loving Zoologist that exploded upon consuming cake.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, ASzy said:

A teacher ALWAYS finds some way to take points off your grade. Should they hate you enough, they'll also take any excuse to write you up and get you out of there. In 8th grade, had a bitchy english teacher who hated that entire class in general, because the class overall was louder than an ongoing explosion. Anyway, Ms. Doe wrote me up so many times for next to nothing. If anyone so much as said "So this can be compared to So-and-So, while that one stands alone?" Ms. Doe wrote them up for rudeness, disorderly conduct, interrupting a lesson, yada yada. It's bogus, and I wonder why she didn't get shit-canned for that, even when witnesses corroborated Richard Roe for his comment about comparing "this with So-and-So" and trying to understand that lesson/The material to understand.

Reminded me of my social many years ago (in which I had filed a complaint against her many years ago accusing her of providing biased service - I eventually got an apology from her through her supervisor/superior). I know filing a complaint against a social worker isn't ideal, but I have to do what is right for me (my father agrees with my sentiment) . As what the late Wilfrid Brimley would say, "it's the right thing to do". 

If the teacher that I had mentioned who accused me on how and why I filed a complaint at the first place, I would had "kick it up a notch" - and send my concerns to the school district (board). Only concern is, will the school board sides with the teacher or me? 

11 minutes ago, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

Reminded me of my social many years ago (in which I had filed a complaint against her many years ago accusing her of providing biased service - I eventually got an apology from her through her supervisor/superior). I know filing a complaint against a social worker isn't ideal, but I have to do what is right for me (my father agrees with my sentiment) . As what the late Wilfrid Brimley would say, "it's the right thing to do". 

If the teacher that I had mentioned who accused me on how and why I filed a complaint at the first place, I would had "kick it up a notch" - and send my concerns to the school district (board). Only concern is, will the school board sides with the teacher or me? 

Depends on circumstances. If you're innocent then they side with you.

If not, they side with the teacher. I almost got expelled for threats. Threats I was under the influence of withdrawal while making.

Meanwahile I had also been suspended for something I never did, because some douche decided to pick a fight at the bus stop. I had a full month of OSS because this shitbag of a person FELT LIKE MAKING HELL for EVERYONE! I was shielding myself with my backpack, while this f*ckwagon was punching, and it was coming to him when I landed my only hit, a set of teeth into the forearm. (I was not a smart fighter, that time)

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, ASzy said:

Depends on circumstances. If you're innocent then they side with you.

If not, they side with the teacher. I almost got expelled for threats. Threats I was under the influence of withdrawal while making.

tenor.gif

Once again, thanks for your statements. 

It's definitely no laughing matter, you know. 

• Haha 1

Closed moms Shaw account almost a year ago, (she passed away Jan 2021) now lately she has been getting snail mail and emails from Shaw saying that they 'miss her' and offering her deals to sign up with them again..

Either someone didn't get the memo or they are really a bit too eager to drum up business...

I love how my 'problem' is never an option in their IVR menu or virtual assistant menu. So I had to pick the 'wrong' option and then wade through a plethora of agents until someone could finally transfer me to the correct department.

Hopefully that's that with these guys.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

Closed moms Shaw account almost a year ago, (she passed away Jan 2021) now lately she has been getting snail mail and emails from Shaw saying that they 'miss her' and offering her deals to sign up with them again..

Either someone didn't get the memo or they are really a bit too eager to drum up business...

I love how my 'problem' is never an option in their IVR menu or virtual assistant menu. So I had to pick the 'wrong' option and then wade through a plethora of agents until someone could finally transfer me to the correct department.

Hopefully that's that with these guys.

At least it's just that and not something where service termination didn't get processed out so now there's an outstanding bill. I remember a news story about someone getting a ridiculously large bill from a cable company for a relative who had passed, IIRC they had closed the account and turned in all the equipment. But the provider didn't register that the service was off and so it kept getting autobilled to a canceled account. The charges were cancelled by the company of course once the news reporter brought it to their attention.

I think the most insensitive thing we dealt with when my Mom passed was her former AVON saleslady. My Mom had told her flat out she wasn't going to be buying any more AVON stuff due to not being able to handle perfumes and scents after going through cancer treatments. But no, this lady kept dropping off catalogs at the door each month. Then after my Mom passed the catalogs still kept showing up. My Dad caught her dropping them off one time and told her what had happened and don't drop off any more catalogs, we aren't buying anything. Next month, sure enough there's the latest issue...

• Like 2

I submitted a photo of a Tatra T3G tram to an enthusiast's site in Bratislava.

The top photo is my original, processed delicately so as not to make the photo unusably dark but also respecting that the day was cloudy and overcast, and the lighting appropriately gloomy.

The bottom photo is the edit they applied to my photo before uploading it to their gallery. Owing to the reality of the weather conditions at the time, I find the edit to be quite garish, not to mention that it misrepresents the work that I submitted. As if I wasn't insecure enough about my editing choices for this photo 😐

I surely can't be the only one who thinks this?

7839 change.png

4 minutes ago, T3G said:

I submitted a photo of a Tatra T3G tram to an enthusiast's site in Bratislava.

The top photo is my original, processed delicately so as not to make the photo unusably dark but also respecting that the day was cloudy and overcast, and the lighting appropriately gloomy.

The bottom photo is the edit they applied to my photo before uploading it to their gallery. Owing to the reality of the weather conditions at the time, I find the edit to be quite garish, not to mention that it misrepresents the work that I submitted. As if I wasn't insecure enough about my editing choices for this photo 😐

I surely can't be the only one who thinks this?

7839 change.png

Circumstances, please?

18 minutes ago, ASzy said:

Your photo. As in, was it bound for scrapping? Repair? Abandonment?

No clue. There were 12 cars built in 1989, 7835-7846, which were modernized to type T3G (this involved the replacing of the original PCC style control package with thyristor controls) from 1993 to 1997. They are old, but generally reliable cars, back in 2015 I was told that apparently the workshop folk have almost completely forgotten what their insides look like because they so rarely have to crawl in them for repairs.

The flipside of that is that they are fragile, long stints out of service are not good for reliability. All but one of these cars were out of service in the winter lockdown early this year due to decreased demand, and when lockdown was finally eased in May, two pairs, 7837+7838 and 7839+7840, re-entered service, but their reliability was poor. 7837+7838 (pic attached) have managed to sustain themselves in service, but they broke down most days in May, strangely completed most shifts in June, and then broke down most shifts in July again leading to them being relegated first to morning rush hour only shifts and then to standby services, until they finally started running properly again at the end of September. 7841-7844 went in for scheduled maintenance, and together with 7845+7846 which had a ventilation failure re-entered service at the end of the summer.

As for 7839+7840? No clue. They also broke down on their very first day back in service, May 10, about 30 minutes after exiting the yard at the beginning of service that morning. The next day they completed a full day shift without incident, and they haven't run since. I've heard that the roof is leaking, and may even be caving in on itself, which wouldn't surprise me at all, because taking vehicles that don't have replacements ready out of service, neglecting them while they're out of service, and acting shocked that they're breaking down when they haven't been turned on in 4 months seems to embody the covid response quite well. Reactionary knee jerk responses that don't make sense and don't take consequences into account are par for the course in this age. No one, not drivers or workshop people, have been able to give me a straight answer on whether the cars will run again or will retire. The fact that the replacements are not yet on hand will mean very little if the structural integrity of the vehicle is compromised...

IMG_7658.JPG

5 minutes ago, T3G said:

No clue. There were 12 cars built in 1989, 7835-7846, which were modernized to type T3G (this involved the replacing of the original PCC style control package with thyristor controls) from 1993 to 1997. They are old, but generally reliable cars, back in 2015 I was told that apparently the workshop folk have almost completely forgotten what their insides look like because they so rarely have to crawl in them for repairs.

The flipside of that is that they are fragile, long stints out of service are not good for reliability. All but one of these cars were out of service in the winter lockdown early this year due to decreased demand, and when lockdown was finally eased in May, two pairs, 7837+7838 and 7839+7840, re-entered service, but their reliability was poor. 7837+7838 (pic attached) have managed to sustain themselves in service, but they broke down most days in May, strangely completed most shifts in June, and then broke down most shifts in July again leading to them being relegated first to morning rush hour only shifts and then to standby services, until they finally started running properly again at the end of September. 7841-7844 went in for scheduled maintenance, and together with 7845+7846 which had a ventilation failure re-entered service at the end of the summer.

As for 7839+7840? No clue. They also broke down on their very first day back in service, May 10, about 30 minutes after exiting the yard at the beginning of service that morning. The next day they completed a full day shift without incident, and they haven't run since. I've heard that the roof is leaking, and may even be caving in on itself, which wouldn't surprise me at all, because taking vehicles that don't have replacements ready out of service, neglecting them while they're out of service, and acting shocked that they're breaking down when they haven't been turned on in 4 months seems to embody the covid response quite well. Reactionary knee jerk responses that don't make sense and don't take consequences into account are par for the course in this age. No one, not drivers or workshop people, have been able to give me a straight answer on whether the cars will run again or will retire. The fact that the replacements are not yet on hand will mean very little if the structural integrity of the vehicle is compromised...

Then the photo YOU edited is apt and somebody should get chewed. Your edit summed up the whole series to the dots on the "I" and the crosses on the "T"

My WTF moment: School buses in my area are required to stop at ALL railroad crossings, regardless of if the crossing sports an "Exempt" sign. My bus stopped at a railroad crossing that's almost never active when we cross. So we stop, and some jackass doing sixty (The limit there is twenty) overtakes the bus, almost head-ons with someone in the other lane, then Florida-Lane-Changes into and back out of the right lane, and into the left, and proceeds TO DRIVE THERE LIKE IT'S TOKYO! Get back to Florida, Moron! I say this out loud, too, embellishing it with a few choice words of my own, saying "You're not going to come up to Missouri from wherever and drive like a bat out of f------ Hell" and "Get Off Of The Road, @$$HOLE!"

He could very well have been in a rush, but I doubt that, as he was driving like the road was the centerpiece in a damn demolition derby. Not to mention he could have killed the driver he almost rammed head-on, or died by some fast-moving switching freight servicing the local customers. Only takes one lunatic for a few hundred dead, including a bus full of kids aged fourteen-eighteen.

28 minutes ago, ASzy said:

Then the photo YOU edited is apt and somebody should get chewed. Your edit summed up the whole series to the dots on the "I" and the crosses on the "T"

Indeed. I'm all for editing one's photos to ensure that the exposure is correct, that the photo isn't too dark, and altering the saturation, colour tones, and white balance to suit one's personal tastes, but when it comes to edits like this it's really too much. It doesn't accurately represent the circumstances that were in place when the photo was taken.

30 minutes ago, ASzy said:

He could very well have been in a rush, but I doubt that, as he was driving like the road was the centerpiece in a damn demolition derby. Not to mention he could have killed the driver he almost rammed head-on, or died by some fast-moving switching freight servicing the local customers. Only takes one lunatic for a few hundred dead, including a bus full of kids aged fourteen-eighteen.

Far too many idiots out there who have no business riding a bike, never mind a heavy motor vehicle. If there were more rigorous entry requirements, we'd be able to solve traffic congestion all across the continent.