TTC Strike Thread

D40-90

Yay, let's hold Toronto hostage :P

6000% Raise... or ELSE!

Once again your complete lack of understanding regarding labour relations between the commission and it's transit workers is nothing short of astounding.

If you'd paid any attention whatsoever to the news you'd know that it's not money we're after, it's safety. The point that caused the contract negotiations to break off is that transit workers who get assaulted on the job, resulting in lost-time injuries, are not getting compensated for 100% of their salary while they're off (instead they're compensated about 75%). This means that, through no fault of their own, they are losing much needed income. Other city workers get compensated 100%, there's no reason why transit workers shouldn't too.

Please do some research before making such baseless and childish statements.

Once again your complete lack of understanding regarding labour relations between the commission and it's transit workers is nothing short of astounding.

If you'd paid any attention whatsoever to the news you'd know that it's not money we're after, it's safety. The point that caused the contract negotiations to break off is that transit workers who get assaulted on the job, resulting in lost-time injuries, are not getting compensated for 100% of their salary while they're off (instead they're compensated about 75%). This means that, through no fault of their own, they are losing much needed income. Other city workers get compensated 100%, there's no reason why transit workers shouldn't too.

Please do some research before making such baseless and childish statements.

Really? City workers maintain the city and are assaulted less than transit workers. Transit workers get people around the city. It does make sense. I know this isn't true but, I heard some lady (probably 47-55 years old) saying that it's the driver that bring upon the assaults to themselves. When I heard this, I said to myself, do you REALLY know if drivers bring upon their own demise? I was outraged and pretty pissed when I heard that statement.

I'm thinking its more of a picture oppurtunity to see all the subways, buses, and streetcars at the garage. Also, I am thinking about chartering a school bus and drive it along Eglinton as the 34 Eglington East Bus and charge everyone $1 fare.

I don't think you'd be allowed to do that.

Really? City workers maintain the city and are assaulted less than transit workers. Transit workers get people around the city. It does make sense. I know this isn't true but, I heard some lady (probably 47-55 years old) saying that it's the driver that bring upon the assaults to themselves. When I heard this, I said to myself, do you REALLY know if drivers bring upon their own demise? I was outraged and pretty pissed when I heard that statement.

You know some lady stuck the middle finger at my driver friend today because she jay walked. Like he beeped the horn at her and told her it was red light. The next thing i saw was that finger given. I was like destroyed and speechless when that happened.

i heard that wheel-trans may still run if there is a strike. But under some Emergency only thing????

IIRC I remember hearing Adam Giambroni (spelling) on CP24 saying that the TTC has always run Wheel-Trans Service during the strikes since it wouldn't be fair to Wheel-Trans passengers especially since some of them need to get to important appointments.

You know some lady stuck the middle finger at my driver friend today because she jay walked. Like he beeped the horn at her and told her it was red light. The next thing i saw was that finger given. I was like destroyed and speechless when that happened.

Destroyed :lol:? Are your sure that's the word your looking for?

IIRC I remember hearing Adam Giambroni (spelling) on CP24 saying that the TTC has always run Wheel-Trans Service during the strikes since it wouldn't be fair to Wheel-Trans passengers especially since some of them need to get to important appointments.

Destroyed :lol:? Are your sure that's the word your looking for?

What do other transit agencies do in this situation where they are required to go on Leave? What do GO and VIA and YRT do in those situations?

I didn't hear Giambrone's quote but if I have it right Bob Kinnear yesterday answered John Oakley about WT service saying that drivers would likely volunteer for important medical appointments. It appears to be fairly standard practice for transit strikes that allowance is made for "dialysis runs" and the like on para-transit service. I'm not sure how effective this ends up being, but drivers usually have to work the shift for free because taking pay while other workers picket has been a problem. ;^)

Remember that CN's train conductors went on strike nationwide last year but those working GO trains stayed on the job in Toronto (and Montreal I think). They kept half pay, and the rest went to Sick Kid's, IIRC.

I didn't hear Giambrone's quote but if I have it right Bob Kinnear yesterday answered John Oakley about WT service saying that drivers would likely volunteer for important medical appointments. It appears to be fairly standard practice for transit strikes that allowance is made for "dialysis runs" and the like on para-transit service. I'm not sure how effective this ends up being, but drivers usually have to work the shift for free because taking pay while other workers picket has been a problem. ;^)

Remember that CN's train conductors went on strike nationwide last year but those working GO trains stayed on the job in Toronto (and Montreal I think). They kept half pay, and the rest went to Sick Kid's, IIRC.

Ed, when the HSR went on strike in 98-99 for 3 months, DARTS ran a skeleton service, basically medical only and Drivers were Volunteers and managers.

Yes, by the Signals/Electrical/Communications workers. Which means if ATU doesn't go on strike, but CUPE does, we still won't have transit service because the vehicles can't run without communications, and the subways and streetcars can't run without signals and electrical.

And, also you will never cross their picket lines, which means that even if the drivers settle and the elctrcians go on strike, who do you think the public is still going to blame and take their wrath out on? the drivers of course. geez, these guys can't win for tryin'. :lol:

No strike for now, but Kinnear isn't too happy with the slow progress and he wants Gary Webster to be out of the contract negotiation and get Giambrone to step in. Talks are continue till at least next week.

yeah well im not too happy with this union and kinnear right now, holding us riders hostage. im also pissed at this "worth a million" PR bullcrap, with these tactics they are worth nothing! i know there are operators on this board who might disagree, but thats my opinion