Today's Special Sightings

54 minutes ago, randall said:

are they making the 39 an artic route? seeing artics on it more often 

i dont get it how are they so quick to make this an artic route when the 35 and 935 get way more crowded then the 39 and 939 it doesnt make sense but thats ttc for you

They run out of separate garages. If they have an excess of artics after fully dispatching them onto the 903, they can't exactly send the rest out onto Jane, now can they?

2 minutes ago, T3G said:

They run out of separate garages. If they have an excess of artics after fully dispatching them onto the 903, they can't exactly send the rest out onto Jane, now can they?

I know that but mt Dennis does have way more artics now though like they could at least send 1 during the afternoon rush and see that the route needs them sooner than later

2 hours ago, randall said:

2 hours ago, Young said:

i dont get it how are they so quick to make this an artic route when the 35 and 935 get way more crowded then the 39 and 939 it doesnt make sense but thats ttc for you

The 40 footers at McNicoll are going out for a rebuild. They are suffering from a shortage of 40 footers at the moment.  @leylandvictory2 mentioned this to me.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, randall said:

939 will *eventually* have artics on it, which is why if you noticed they moved and extended the bay for the 939 going east to Kennedy.

12 minutes ago, gtatransitfanner said:

The 40 footers at McNicoll are going out for a rebuild. They are suffering from a shortage of 40 footers at the moment.  @leylandvictory2 mentioned this to me.

That's not the full story.

Sure, McNicoll is relatively short on 40 foot buses, partially due to the ongoing rebuild program, but they received extra 40 foot buses to cover ones gone for rebuild (9200-9227, although they also lost 3317-3321 to Queensway). Typically there's around 25-30 buses in the rebuild program at any given time, so while it's not a full coverage it's close enough. The bigger thing is that McNicoll received 11 XDE60 buses to operate the 903 (which has a peak requirement of 9 buses), on top of the 24 LFS Artic buses they already had. The 903 is McNicoll's only dedicated artic route, and since the XDE60s are prioritized to operate that route, that leaves the LFS Artics with no place to be assigned regularly. Given the somewhat depleted 40 foot requirement, this leads the artics to get dispatched more often on the 600 (RAD) crews to give them something to do.

I really don't understand TTC's logic on the current LFS Artic assignments - they removed artics from the 905 due to Malvern not having enough to run both the 905 and 985, yet they're keeping way more of them at McNicoll than can be used with the current route allocations. An easy solution would've been to give Malvern some of McNicoll's artics shortly after the XDE60s got established, and that would have saved the 905 from needing to have its schedule rewritten (again) to accommodate 40 foot buses. Instead, McNicoll is keeping half their LFS Artics inside the garage every day, and the few that go out get burned on extra runs on Kennedy at midnight (when the 10 minute frequency is running empty 40 footers).

5 minutes ago, Articulated said:

That's not the full story.

Sure, McNicoll is relatively short on 40 foot buses, partially due to the ongoing rebuild program, but they received extra 40 foot buses to cover ones gone for rebuild (9200-9227, although they also lost 3317-3321 to Queensway). Typically there's around 25-30 buses in the rebuild program at any given time, so while it's not a full coverage it's close enough. The bigger thing is that McNicoll received 11 XDE60 buses to operate the 903 (which has a peak requirement of 9 buses), on top of the 24 LFS Artic buses they already had. The 903 is McNicoll's only dedicated artic route, and since the XDE60s are prioritized to operate that route, that leaves the LFS Artics with no place to be assigned regularly. Given the somewhat depleted 40 foot requirement, this leads the artics to get dispatched more often on the 600 (RAD) crews to give them something to do.

I really don't understand TTC's logic on the current LFS Artic assignments - they removed artics from the 905 due to Malvern not having enough to run both the 905 and 985, yet they're keeping way more of them at McNicoll than can be used with the current route allocations. An easy solution would've been to give Malvern some of McNicoll's artics shortly after the XDE60s got established, and that would have saved the 905 from needing to have its schedule rewritten (again) to accommodate 40 foot buses. Instead, McNicoll is keeping half their LFS Artics inside the garage every day, and the few that go out get burned on extra runs on Kennedy at midnight (when the 10 minute frequency is running empty 40 footers).

McNicoll still has the 953-Steeles Express to allot artics too. However, recent changes meant 40 footers "satisfy" this route yet 40 footers I've seen get overcrowded at times.

6 hours ago, Highway of Heroes said:

TTC: 9415 did route 84D Sheppard West this morning. Not my photo

9415.jpg

I’m going to presume that it was a training run given the operator is in a safety vest

4 hours ago, Highway of Heroes said:

Not my photo but NF Transit Articulated bus did route 111 this afternoon 

111.png

Sorry but you posted this post in the wrong thread, this thread is for special TTC, MiWay, DRT, and YRT sightings only.

Finn

• Confused 1