TTC in the news

buschic

OK, who cares the actual length, point is WHY NOW? It's only 47 years later? Why not implement this 30 years ago? 8 years ago? Why all of the sudden now? It's also valid BOTH directions.

Length is important because the case being made against it that it is a big distance. But now it's pretty normal.

Probably now because someone did what they thought was an obvious transfer, and something went wrong.

Really, they have to get rid of these bizarre transfer rules and go to a timed-transfer.

There was a bizarre incident prompting the shutdown of Line 1 from Bloor To Union:

Toronto Star - TTC Probes Flammable Liquid That Closed Yonge Line

The interesting thing is that this might have been a slow transformer leak that built up over the entire winter and it only now started to flow due to the ground thawing. (pour point for transformer oil is -6c)

http://www.cp24.com/news/former-chair-critical-of-ttc-s-response-to-subway-stoppage-1.2296713

Karen Stintz is an airhead. She shouldn't be talking at all. What did she do when she was chair??? Nothing. In fact shuttle bus operation improved since she was chair.

Here's my list of improvements they should attempt:

-Have cops direct traffic at all major intersection along the route to override traffic signals to keep buses moving

-encourage all vehicles to no stop on Yonge street

-With cops, override the pedestrian scramble at Dundas/Yonge to a bus only phase to keep buses moving when they start to queue up

TTC should offer additional express shuttles instead of having them all local stop shuttles queue up.

-Run express shuttle buses for southern destination like Dundas/Queen/King

-Utilize Church Street for express shuttles

-Run multiple special shuttles to destination like Ryerson University, Financial district

-The Ryerson Shuttle should run EB on Bloor from Yonge, down Chruch and drop off at Gould St (for Ryerson Students), Dundas and Shuter. Then head west on Shuter and back north on Yonge to avoid using Dundas.
- The Queen Street express Shuttle should run east on Bloor, south on Church, drop off at Queen. The shuttle should head west on Richmond and back north on Yonge.

-The Financial/King Shuttle should do a similar route but drop off at King, Wellington. Head west to University and pick up at St Andrew.

To avoid confusion, TTC supervisors should get microphones to announce the destination. Also loading for local and express shuttles are done in different locations. E.g. the NW corner going south would be local shuttles and SW going east to Church are the express shuttles. People can get off at Church and walk 100m back to Yonge.

The idea is to avoid buses queuing up and reduce boarding time. Running 200 buses won't help if there is a line up of buses south of Dundas waiting to make it's way to King. That lane closure at Yonge near Adelaide made things 100 times worst. If they ran buses down Church and west across, it would be much better.

Karen Stintz is an airhead. She shouldn't be talking at all. What did she do when she was chair??? Nothing. In fact shuttle bus operation improved since she was chair.

Well she did propose "OneCity" which was essentially Transit City along with drawling lines on a map. So she managed to display some effort during her term.

Well she did propose "OneCity" which was essentially Transit City along with drawling lines on a map. So she managed to display some effort during her term.

You do remember that OneCity is the reason why the Scarborough extension is getting built because she said it would "only" cost 500 million more then the LRT conversion.

She also completely missed the Spadina extension cost overruns and construction delays.

Ops doing the SAC crew/Queen East/Beaches say the streetcar trio should be in Easter Parade again this year this weekend (No, not from Glenn)

Says the Witt for sure, they are cleaning it up but there may be problem with PCC's

He says one doesn't run and the other is in really rough shape and they are not sure if they can get it going for this parade.

Anybody know anything about state of PCC's?

I know I have heard from guys that a lot of upper management are really pissed at having PCC/Witt on property and would like to get rid of them once and for all. (That's one of the reasons for the huge jump ion charter rates - if less people charter, than they have justification to ditch the old cars)

I know I have heard from guys that a lot of upper management are really pissed at having PCC/Witt on property and would like to get rid of them once and for all. (That's one of the reasons for the huge jump ion charter rates - if less people charter, than they have justification to ditch the old cars)

Management should go focus their attention on other things before they screw up a good thing.

Management should go focus their attention on other things before they screw up a good thing.

Management have tons of other things to do than this non-sense crap. I support firing them all since the TTC isn't getting better at all over these decades. It's time to clean the TTC and have better service. We need people that wants to improve things, not get their next paycheck and not do work. These people are probably like PCC/Witts are too annoying, lets dump them to make their life easy.

He says one doesn't run and the other is in really rough shape and they are not sure if they can get it going for this parade.

4500 is probably the dead one. All seen 4549 running at events.

The last time I seen them were both parked at Russell last summer with a clean coat of paint.

Ops doing the SAC crew/Queen East/Beaches say the streetcar trio should be in Easter Parade again this year this weekend (No, not from Glenn)

Only 3? They had 4 last year (CLRV, PCC, Witt, Flexity).

Says the Witt for sure, they are cleaning it up but there may be problem with PCC's

They had both of them running for the open house at Hillcrest last September, doing an excellent and regular shuttle to Bathurst station.

Only 3? They had 4 last year (CLRV, PCC, Witt, Flexity).

They had both of them running for the open house at Hillcrest last September, doing an excellent and regular shuttle to Bathurst station.

I didn't ask him, The Flexity was there to show off/introduce it last year. This is the guy that drives the PCC. He said he drove the Bathurst Station shuttle during open house and they both were running rough back then. He is trained on the Witt but prefers the PCC. If I see him I'll ask about the Flexity.

Management have tons of other things to do than this non-sense crap. I support firing them all since the TTC isn't getting better at all over these decades. It's time to clean the TTC and have better service. We need people that wants to improve things, not get their next paycheck and not do work. These people are probably like PCC/Witts are too annoying, lets dump them to make their life easy.

4500 is probably the dead one. All seen 4549 running at events.

The last time I seen them were both parked at Russell last summer with a clean coat of paint.

from what I gather, management doesn't even think of PCC's etc. They DO do other things. It's just been on their mind for some decade(s) to get rid of these old cars and whenever a charter, or some maintenance issue comes up regarding these cars, it simply reminds the management guys that these old workhorses are still round taking up space.

from what I gather, management doesn't even think of PCC's etc. They DO do other things. It's just been on their mind for some decade(s) to get rid of these old cars and whenever a charter, or some maintenance issue comes up regarding these cars, it simply reminds the management guys that these old workhorses are still round taking up space.

Yeah probably when they are doing construction planning at Russell, they plan to reverse cars into the carhouse as the main entrance is block off. Then they figure that the PCCs are in the way. (Headache... where should those cars go)

I agree, get rid of these old streetcars, and off TTC property. If people want them so badly go to Halton. Same with the GM buses. Waste of space and energy.

I'm not sure why they're still around. TTC doesn't need any reason to keep them, even if people wanted them. People want a lot of things. Get rid of them.

TTC is in the business of providing public transit service not preserving historic vehicles. It is nice for them to preserve one or two but not necessary. 4549 was used in the labour day parade last year. I kept on hearing electric spark noise as it was moving along.

We're only talking about 2 cars right? 1 PCC @ 1 Witt. Shouldn't be that big a deal to keep around..... they always seem to gather a lot of interest when out.

There still seems to be something of a market for PCCs in the US, especially as some streetcar systems have figured out how to put a wheelchair lift in theirs. I'm a bit of a philistine in these matters and would unload them tomorrow. Space should be a bit less pressing post Leslie Barns though.

I agree, get rid of these old streetcars, and off TTC property. If people want them so badly go to Halton. Same with the GM buses. Waste of space and energy.

I'm not sure why they're still around. TTC doesn't need any reason to keep them, even if people wanted them. People want a lot of things. Get rid of them.

And end up like this?

10696708635_745f55d150_z.jpg

Halton County Radial Railway 4386 - 02 by t6a5iii, on Flickr

I respect what the HCRR is doing, but I have little faith that they'd be able to take care of the TTC's PCCs should they donate them, when a lot of their collection is in ruins already. IMO, it would be best if they sold off cars such as the above to other museums, such as in the US and focus on keeping road-worthy what already is.

I should also add that being in the business of providing public transit service has not stopped such properties as New York's MTA from preserving boatloads of historical vehicles. :)

I should also add that being in the business of providing public transit service has not stopped such properties as New York's MTA from preserving boatloads of historical vehicles. :)

And London Underground, not to mention European cities where they have regular heritage tram running days.

Those cars are worth a gold mine in good PR with the public, and have great marketing value, but there's no money for any marketing.

And end up like this?

There are many finely preserved and restored vehicles up there.

However it's true they don't really need any more PCCs, as they have 7 ex-TTC ones already, including this one that's been waiting for restoration for over 20 years.

Those cars are worth a gold mine in good PR with the public, and have great marketing value, but there's no money for any marketing.

Any time one of the PCCs or Witts goes out, you see all sorts of people smiling and taking pictures. When TTC management goes out, I assume they would throw tomatoes instead.

Of course there's money for marketing/PR. It's mostly stupid stuff like relettering routes or changing "Yonge-University-Spadina" to Line 1 and/or Yonge-University. I haven't seen a whole lot of people smiling and taking pictures of the hitherto-unknown 123D or 110C or all those green and yellow route number signs.

Oh, and the ghastly airport wraps. What's the logic in making your bus look like a dirty beige box with an all-black front end?

And London Underground, not to mention European cities where they have regular heritage tram running days.

Very true. And a lot of those European systems have sizeable collections as well. Bratislava, to the best of my knowledge, has at least 12 historical buses, streetcars and trolleys used regularly for charters and special events. At least 5 more are static exhibits. Another 2 could run if they had the papers required to do so. I don't see why it inconveniences the TTC so much to take care of 3 streetcars and 2 buses. :rolleyes:

There are many finely preserved and restored vehicles up there.

However it's true they don't really need any more PCCs, as they have 7 ex-TTC ones already, including this one that's been waiting for restoration for over 20 years.

Perhaps I may have been harsh in my original post. What is running up at Halton is in excellent condition, no doubt, but they do have their share of wrecks, the list of which doesn't seem to be getting any smaller. Except in the case of that Flyer trolley which was sold off to Illinois.

Any time one of the PCCs or Witts goes out, you see all sorts of people smiling and taking pictures. When TTC management goes out, I assume they would throw tomatoes instead.

Of course there's money for marketing/PR. It's mostly stupid stuff like relettering routes or changing "Yonge-University-Spadina" to Line 1 and/or Yonge-University. I haven't seen a whole lot of people smiling and taking pictures of the hitherto-unknown 123D or 110C or all those green and yellow route number signs.

Oh, and the ghastly airport wraps. What's the logic in making your bus look like a dirty beige box with an all-black front end?

Haha, excellently put.

Those airport wrap made look like some other bus than a TTC bus. Obviously management don't give a damn.

The whole renaming branches trips me off. Especially now that 32B/112A/123A are canceled shortly after the renaming.

How about actually improving supervision on surface routes? Sending supervisor on a corner of a street isn't helping much. They just look like lazy money making public servant with a clipboard getting on the sunshine list every year to the public eyes.

TTC should also stop blaming people, nature and the environment for all the delays. Everyone is sick of waiting 20 minutes and 4 buses show up. Then TTC is like it's congestion, it's out of our control.