Vancouver general sightings and notes

Enviro 500

15 minutes ago, rickie22 said:

My wife and I went to Spanish Banks yesterday, and the shuttle displayed C19 instead of 42. A couple of people who boarded with us were phoning their friends, telling them they were waiting for a "42" but couldn't find it. Another of their friends was waiting on 4th at Alma, but didn't board, presumably for the same reason.

I tweeted @translink about it, and this is part of their reply: "We've advised Transit Control and it appears to be a programming issue. It will still have the proper destination sign [eg. Spanish Banks], but will be a bit confusing in the meantime until it can be resolved."

Shouldn't the 42 route number have been programmed when the number change was announced? Also keep in mind that yesterday was the first day of operation for the 42 this season, so there was about an additional month to program the signs.

Anyone else notice that with any other route number change that's been recently announced?

The 68 & 70 routes don't even display anything on the front destination sign and displays A1 Message on the rear. I got a similar response from TransLink on Twitter, I have a feeling they forgot to change the programming for the destinations.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2018 at 10:25 AM, 8010 said:

The 68 & 70 routes don't even display anything on the front destination sign and displays A1 Message on the rear. I got a similar response from TransLink on Twitter, I have a feeling they forgot to change the programming for the destinations.

I've seen the 68 and 70 routes display both the front and back destination signs a couple weeks ago. Maybe some buses have been programmed and others have not?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wilson2003 said:

I don't even know where this goes, but:

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/morgan-freeman-skytrain-bus-voice-announcements

Morgan Freeman will voice a few announcements as part of TransLink's campaign to avoid card clash. There's a sample provided too.

I think Samuel L Jackson would of been a better pick to spread the message. 

" Move to the back of the mothaf*ckin bus now " " The next mothaf*ckin station is Granville " ETC ETC ETC 

• Haha 5

On 5/22/2018 at 6:38 PM, owo transit fan said:

I've seen the 68 and 70 routes display both the front and back destination signs a couple weeks ago. Maybe some buses have been programmed and others have not?

Probably. I was there yesterday and it was roughly 50/50 between buses with working signs and blank.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, greenturnedblue said:

Driver on the 340 leaving 22nd St Station this evening opened up the back door and let people tap in via the back as well as the usual front

Okay.................................. 

No big deal since I know drivers who all door board at Langara - 49th Station. My lunchtime 335 driver has also been doing it for the past couple days at 148th at 72nd (that stop is ridiculously busy; don't get me wrong)

==================================================

Meanwhile, due to recent allegations held against Morgan Freeman, his announcements have since been pulled from the system.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Express691 said:

Okay.................................. 

No big deal since I know drivers who all door board at Langara - 49th Station. My lunchtime 335 driver has also been doing it for the past couple days at 148th at 72nd (that stop is ridiculously busy; don't get me wrong)

==================================================

Meanwhile, due to recent allegations held against Morgan Freeman, his announcements have since been pulled from the system.

Morgan Freeman almost certainly attempted inappropriate all door boarding. He didn't understand the "stops".

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Express691 said:

Seth Rogen offered to fill in for Freeman's announcements. :lol:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ThomasW97 said:

Not out of the woods yet. A CP strike affecting the WCE is still very possible starting this coming monday. Could see as many as 12 arctics deployed for shuttle service

So why is CP planning a strike?

3 hours ago, Brando737 said:

Working conditions is the biggest and most important issue. They aren't treated well and often overworked.

They don't deserve to be treated like sh*t so I support them going on strike.

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 9:13 PM, 8010 said:

So why is CP planning a strike?

Strike notice is served for 10pm Eastern Time Tuesday & not Monday. Teamsters Rail Conference & IBEW l will probably allow WCE services to finish off the service for the day which will shut down WCE services on Wednesday. Going out on a limb from past practices usually a tentative agreement is reached right at the strike deadline. 

On May 25, 2018 at 9:02 PM, ThomasW97 said:

Not out of the woods yet. A CP strike affecting the WCE is still very possible starting this coming monday. Could see as many as 12 arctics deployed for shuttle service

Following up, it appears a strike is imminent. As PTC is short on arctics, curious as to how the whole situation will play out.

1 hour ago, Dane said:

I never noticed fleet number 9582 was skipped. Any idea why? 

I remember reading somewhere that it was wrecked in transit here or something like that, and they didn't bother replacing it. (Don't quote me on that though...)

Another missing thing I've been curious about is skytrain set 119/120 (X/M lines, not Canada). Never seen anything as to why they don't exist on the wiki

43 minutes ago, ThatBusGuy said:

Another missing thing I've been curious about is skytrain set 119/120 (X/M lines, not Canada). Never seen anything as to why they don't exist on the wiki

There are 3 pairs of dead numbers in the MK1 series, aka units that do not exist.

057-058

059-060

119-120

May be placeholders to denote each set, EXCEPT between 500/600 series with 135-136 and 700/800 series 137-138.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Express691 said:

There are 3 pairs of dead numbers in the MK1 series, aka units that do not exist.

057-058

059-060

119-120

May be placeholders to denote each set, EXCEPT between 500/600 series with 135-136 and 700/800 series 137-138.

Could be interesting if TL were to purchase a few Mk1 sets (e.g from Detroit) that their allocated numbers would be those. (Oh what am I saying, I'm dreaming again xD)

• Like 1