TTC Orion VII Retirement Tracker

5 minutes ago, Toro said:

I know Bike racks are reused, but every single one? No way they need that many, they got more then 200 from the ogs alone let alone all the ngs yet they keep taking more off? They gotta be some pretty shitty bike racks if they actually need to be constantly switched 

If you notice where the bike racks are placed... on the front bumper. That means they are the first things to get hit in a collision.

So yes, they go through them faster than you might be aware. I don't know if they necessarily need 200+ of them stockpiled, but hey, reusing them is much cheaper than buying new ones.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Toro said:

I know Bike racks are reused, but every single one? No way they need that many, they got more then 200 from the ogs alone let alone all the ngs yet they keep taking more off? They gotta be some pretty shitty bike racks if they actually need to be constantly switched 

I’m pretty sure the rate they break from improper use, collision or aging is much higher than we think. They are constantly shaken from all the vibrations getting the road.

• Like 2

On 1/14/2024 at 7:53 PM, Elijah bey said:

7923 might be the last 7900's bus to be in service

7935 and 7941 are in tracks so I doubt that for at least tonight.

On 1/13/2024 at 11:46 AM, Toro said:

Rumor is today may be the final day for the 79s. Let's see if it's true 

7913 7952 seems to be retired

7913 and 7952 are on their way to the Toronto Island right now. 8065 is returning to Queensway to possibly get its MTO renewal and new plate sticker/ownership papers as well since that’s all done every March. 

24 minutes ago, Elijah bey said:

4/4 active 7900's are in service today

7923 80 Queensway 

7930 77 Swansea 

7935 512 St Clair

7941 73 Royal York

Nice to see one on 77 Swansea again! Doesn’t happen often anymore due to noise complaints making the route Nova/Orion NG only.

35 minutes ago, Mar_AC_23 said:

IMO I don't think it's necessary to keep posting sightings in a retirement thread. If someone wants to know if those buses are in service, they can easily search it up for themselves.

I disagree. Profusely. I think the biggest loss that the advent of tracking apps for the transit community is that there are almost no sightings posted anymore. They may not seem important or special now, but in due course they will have historical value. I think it makes for interesting reading looking back on old sightings. Something that was once a regular occurrence will not always be so.

My favourite bus in the old days was Orion V #9400, and I've always been fascinated by routes like the 107 which went far and beyond the boundaries of the city. Once, after the discontinuation of the 107F to Kirby Road, I remember wondering if 9400 had ever been dispatched onto said branch. It was very likely she had, but I had no way of confirming - until I found a post in the today's sightings thread confirming that in fact, it had. A completely innocuous piece of information that would've otherwise been lost to time.

One day, all of the things that we take granted for now - Orion VIIs and Novas and e-buses - will be every bit as historical to readers as things like GMs and Flyers and Orion Vs are to us now. Trackers are cool, but when no one bothers to compile the data from them, they won't be of much use to anyone but the person reading them. Remember all those ALRVs that bit the dust in the beginning of 2018? Unfortunately, no one (that I know of) recorded the last days of operation for those cars, even though I am fairly confident there would have been (statistically) at least a couple of people who went on TranSee on the last day of any given unit to see how many ALRVs were out, they just didn't make a point of reporting what they saw. So our knowledge is a little poorer than it otherwise could've been. And I'm as guilty as anyone, it could have been me to do it, but it never occurred to me to do so, and now it is too late.

• Like 8

On 1/14/2024 at 7:59 PM, 3190 said:

7913 and 7952 are on their way to the Toronto Island right now. 8065 is returning to Queensway to get its MTO renewal and new plate sticker/ownership papers as well since that’s all done every March. 

I seen that someone edited 7913 and 7952 as “Reassigned”. Last March, 7916 was used as a temporary replacement for 8065 as well. Many different units have for the past few years. Better to leave it as “Inactive” for now since they may be back if 8065 goes back to the Toronto Island. But back in revenue service? Not sure.

1 hour ago, 3190 said:

I seen that someone edited 7913 and 7952 as “Reassigned”. Last March, 7916 was used as a temporary replacement for 8065 as well. Many different units have for the past few years. Better to leave it as “Inactive” since they’ll be back once 8065 is ready to go back to the Toronto Island. But back in revenue service? Not sure.

I agree, "Reassigned" is not correct. Buses assigned to Toronto Island are still active and serving passengers. Any other buses that have gone to the Island have been reflected as Active on the Wiki rosters.

• Like 1

The Island buses are on site and operate mostly when the winds are too strong for the ferries to enter a certain port. But I'm sure they have other uses on the islands, perhaps shutting residents during cold weather or city staff from place to place.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TTC Guy said:

The Island buses are on site and operate mostly when the winds are too strong for the ferries to enter a certain port. But I'm sure they have other uses on the islands, perhaps shutting residents during cold weather or city staff from place to place.

What's the route for the buses? Is it operated by the TTC or an Island local?

4 hours ago, CJ. said:

How much of these buses have actually been scrapped yet? Saw a ton at Wilson

Alot of retired 79s are sitting at North Queen. Since decommissioning isn't a priority, when Wilson or Queensway gets a chance to decommission them, they will

19 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

No route, just a shuttle operated by park maintenance.

Someone on Youtube called "Exploring Toronto" made a ride video of when 7935 was used as an Island bus back in Early 2019

• Like 3