Transit in Vancouver: Questions and Answers

Enviro 500

2 hours ago, Express691 said:

What are the different line groups?

Is there a correlation with what routes are in which linegroups? E.g. will all 321s be on linegroup 312?

In general, certain routes will stick to the same line group.  Like Marlow1331 mentioned, it would be allot to type out.  STC seems to have everything all over the place unless you've signed a 96 or 503 although the 96 includes the N19, but that's easy to figure out based on finish time.  An operator could sign ##/312 and do a mix of 501 502 320 for example.

Some depots will have line groups that will contain trippers for routes that are run full time out of other depots.  At BTC for example, as of a few years ago, the higher numbered blocks on the 43 line group would be runs on the 25 41 49 101 and some north van runs.

I can tell you how they work at HTC currently though as it's relatively simple for the most part.

Line Group 410: 100 101 128 134 136 155 C98

Line Group 106: 106 110 144 430

Line Group 123: 112 116 123 129

I think that's all of it lol.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TranslinkKid said:

Don't know if this is the appropriate thread, but is the CUTA Transit Trade Show open to anyone on Nov 8th or is it only for CUTA members? Also, if it is open to the public, is there a fee to get in?

https://2015.cutaactu.org/cuta/web/events/event_display.aspx?eventkey=TRSHW16

You need an account on the CUTA website in order to attend, but there's no admission fee.

(I have class until 2pm though, probably can't make it)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!

I'm a bus operator at Halifax Metro Transit, and I'm going to have some spare time in Vancouver. I'm looking for suggestions on some trolley/bus riding to do while I'm in town. If there are any operators here who want to PM me and let me know how to find you for a ride, that would be awesome too. I've ridden the Seabus before, and used transit in Vancouver to get around a bit before, but I haven't really spent any time there just going for a ride. Not sure if this is the right topic to post under, if there's a better one, please let me know. :)

Cheers

4 hours ago, HFX-Brad said:

Hello!

I'm a bus operator at Halifax Metro Transit, and I'm going to have some spare time in Vancouver. I'm looking for suggestions on some trolley/bus riding to do while I'm in town. If there are any operators here who want to PM me and let me know how to find you for a ride, that would be awesome too. I've ridden the Seabus before, and used transit in Vancouver to get around a bit before, but I haven't really spent any time there just going for a ride. Not sure if this is the right topic to post under, if there's a better one, please let me know. :)

Cheers

Hey Brad, 

Welcome to Vancouver! I'm sure there'll be some operators who'll take you on board! :)

As far as buses go, the artic trolley routes are the #3, #8, #10, and #20, all of which are quite busy (#10 probably the most comfortable to ride mid-day in terms of crowdedness, also the only artic trolley going over any bridge).

40 foot trolley routes are 4 and 7 (Kitsilano/East Van), 5/6 (nice loop of downtown/west end--get off at Davie and Denman around sunset and go see the beach!), 9 (Broadway trolley supporting the 99), 14, 16, 17, 19 (recently often dieselized though--goes to Stanley Park and all the way to Metrotown along to Kingsway). 

All-day diesel artic routes in Vancouver proper are the 99 B-Line, the 135 along Hastings, and the 49 (local stop, but second busiest route in the system after the 99, has exclusively new XDE60's). 99 and 135 are a mix of D60LF's and D(E)60LFR's. Note the 135 will be rebranded as the 95 B-Line starting Dec. 19 if you are here past that point. In fact, it would be good to check the Translink.ca system maps page again on or after that date, as there will be some pretty significant changes in other parts of the region and in Vancouver too (the 5/6 will also be changing). 

Other than that, the 2, 15/50 (to Granville Island), 22, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 41, 84, and 100 in Vancouver are all Nova Bus. (100 has some D40LF and XN40 because it's out of Hamilton)

North Vancouver is all Nova Bus, West Vancouver (25x numbers) have a mix of XD40, Nova, Low Floor, and DE60LFR.

For more XD40's, try the 480 from UBC to Richmond, or just go to Richmond on the Canada Line and explore their buses. 

XN40's are out in Poco and some routes out of Hamilton garage, especially 410 and 430 apparently. If you want a long ride on one you could wait for a 160 or 190, which have a good portion on XN40's, at Burrard Stn--warning they are pickup only all the way to Tri-Cities!

For D40LF's and Orions, please ask MCW Metrobus. :) 

It's also worth it to take a ride on the Skytrain at off-peak hours...especially if you are here after Dec. 2 when the Evergreen Line opens! My favourite stretch is between Royal Oak Station and New West Station--try to claim a window facing south, especially around sunrise or sunset. 

Also, if you want to ride the seawall downtown, check out Mobi Bike Share which opened recently. It's awesome.

Enjoy your time here! I would offer you a ride on my bus but I'm on the spareboard atm, so it might be hard to set up. I know you will have fun anyway!

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Peter M said:

If you buy a Daypass in Vancouver, do you need to pay the $5 YVR addfare when departing the airport?

You only pay the extra $5 when buying your temporary compass media at the machines on the island. If you buy a day pass anywhere else, you can use it to get on and off the island during that day without paying anything extra. However, you can't buy a day pass ticket (or any compass ticket) ahead of time and use it on another day--tickets bought from machines, including day passes, expire the same day even if they are never tapped in. So, you can't buy a day pass ahead of time to avoid paying the addfare after your return flight, unless your flight gets back on the same day before the Canada Line closes.

If using stored value on a full compass card (not compass ticket), I believe the add fare is only applied if you start your 90-minute trip at one of the airport island stations. In other words, I believe you can, say, tap on at Bridgeport, ride to the airport or outlet mall, and tap back in at Templeton or YVR-Airport before your 90 minutes is up, and travel back to Bridgeport without paying the add fare on top of your 1-zone fare. But if you stay too long on the island and go past your 90 minutes, the system will start a new trip for you and apply the add fare immediately.

If using a monthly pass on your compass card, and if you haven't travelled too many zones on skytrain/seabus, no add fare will be deducted for travelling off the island, and everything should work normally.

Please somebody correct me if I am wrong on any of this.

11 minutes ago, HFX-Brad said:

Daypass from the airport cost me $14.75, so I'd say yes?

If you buy a daypass from another station, and use it to travel to/from the airport you avoid the $5.00 airfare.  Buying a daypass from the compass vending machines at YVR-Station, or using stored value from any compass card, will result in being charged the add fare.  If you want to avoid the surcharge, have someone you know buy a daypass beforehand, and meet you at the airport.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Peter M said:

If you buy a Daypass in Vancouver, do you need to pay the $5 YVR addfare when departing the airport?

No. There are daypasses avaialble in the 7/11 in Domestic arrivals. Just ask any green shirt or security guard where the 7/11 is and they'll point you the way.

- Regards

An Airport employee.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, translink said:

No. There are daypasses avaialble in the 7/11 in Domestic arrivals. Just ask any green shirt or security guard where the 7/11 is and they'll point you the way.

- Regards

An Airport employee.

That would have been awesome to know 11 days ago. :P. I will remember for next time though. Thanks for the info!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Michael Marriott said:

If you buy a daypass from another station, and use it to travel to/from the airport you avoid the $5.00 airfare.  Buying a daypass from the compass vending machines at YVR-Station, or using stored value from any compass card, will result in being charged the add fare.  If you want to avoid the surcharge, have someone you know buy a daypass beforehand, and meet you at the airport.

And that person can use the daypass to go TO the airport and avoid the zone addfare.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...