Collisions and Incidents thread

Express691

2 hours ago, MCW Metrobus said:

What makes you think it is hard?

It seems like it is hard because it does not seems like a common practice to change the bendy joint on a bus. I would think towing the bus back to garage would be hardest part because you would need to make sure the back half stays with front half when towing it. You split into front and back half would be hard without hurting the bus or anyone. 

Edited by Blue Bus Fan
Add more parts to why it would be hard also change the bendy thing to bendy joint.

2 hours ago, Peter M said:

All the articulating joints are the same in TransLink's fleet, right?

Actually, no. The articulating joints in the LFRs and Xcelsiors are very different from those in the D60LFs. They're actually more similar to the ones in the old D60s!

59 minutes ago, GORDOOM said:

Actually, no. The articulating joints in the LFRs and Xcelsiors are very different from those in the D40LFs. They're actually more similar to the ones in the old D40s!

D40LF's do not have an articulating joint.  Perhaps you meant D60LF's ??

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Blue Bus Fan said:

It seems like it is hard because it does not seems like a common practice to change the bendy joint on a bus. I would think towing the bus back to garage would be hardest part because you would need to make sure the back half stays with front half when towing it. 

Wrong and wrong.

Artic joints are changed more often than you might think.

Towing it back is no issue as long as the frame underneath is structurally sound.

• Like 6

Eventful day for SkyTrain, but no major delays.

• One of the track switches between Lougheed outbound and Braid outbound had issues this morning, resulting in single-tracking through Braid and Sapperton on the inbound
  • Train 308 had some sort of issue with stuck brakes between Granville outbound and Stadium outbound early this afternoon. Staff were having trouble trying to drive it in manual to Stadium to off-load passengers, but the vehicle techs managed to get the brakes lifted. It was parked at Stadium side-track for most of the afternoon and brought back to the yard just after evening rush hour.
  • Train 322 had problems near Lougheed around 5:00, and was taken out of service. Not sure if it timed out, or had some other issue.
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Marlow1331 said:

Related to the C40LFR axle issues, I was wondering if any similar issues could be occuring on the other LFR and LF models?  Or has anyone heard word of an investigation as well?

What are the axle issues, for those who don't know?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Meraki said:

What are the axle issues, for those who don't know?

2 hours ago, Marlow1331 said:

Related to the C40LFR axle issues, I was wondering if any similar issues could be occuring on the other LFR and LF models?  Or has anyone heard word of an investigation as well?

Can't say for sure what the exact issue is, but bad enough to take a bulk of the C40LFRs off the road immediately.  And it sounds like a quality issue, not a lack of maintenance issue.

The rumor is that the top weight of the CNG tanks and how the bus sways may have had something to do with it so it may not be related to the LFR model, but only the CNG buses.

8 hours ago, Brando737 said:

Can't say for sure what the exact issue is, but bad enough to take a bulk of the C40LFRs off the road immediately.  And it sounds like a quality issue, not a lack of maintenance issue.

The rumor is that the top weight of the CNG tanks and how the bus sways may have had something to do with it so it may not be related to the LFR model, but only the CNG buses.

As far as I'm concerned they have noticed cracks developing on the axles. It's hard to confirm, I don't really hear to much from PCTC often. , 

6 hours ago, mashedpotato13 said:

Police incident at 29th Avenue station delaying Skytrain service.  Traveling from Lafarge station, the train was already packed by Coquitlam Central... 

It was made worse by the fact that the West Coast Express was blocked by a tree across the tracks in North Burnaby, and trains 2, 3, 4, and 5 effectively dropped all their passengers at Coquitlam Central and Moody Centre stations to use SkyTrain.