Out of ordinary Calgary Transit bus spottings

While I was reporting the stuck train on 7th Avenue … 

… Routes 18 and 112 were doing U-turns on 1st St. SW to get out of the blockage. 

There was also a 13 that just turned from SB Centre St. to EB 9 Ave.

I’m sure there’ll be plenty of detours, given the location of the CTrain incident. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As of 8:30 via transit55, there's artics on:

• 21/55/71
  • All 145
  • ~5 23

Was there issues at the garage and they needed to get out whatever buses were available?

On a route like the 145, wouldn't artics have a bigger chance of getting stuck on the smaller roads? Note: The delays are from heavy traffic on Metis Tr.

image.thumb.png.ab90c1c0e9a4fee5ebd7deefbdf85f5b.png

Well, whatever the reason, it appears artics will be operating on those routes for much of the day, if Transit55 is to be believed.

Here's what's currently visible on Transit55:

• 6052 on Route 23 until end of service
  • 6056 on Route 61 until 7:30 p.m.
  • 6060 on Route 55 until end of service
  • 6062 on Route 43 until 8:30 p.m.
  • 6082 on Route 34 until 7 p.m.
  • 6084 and 6087 on Route 145 until end of service
  • 6088 on Route 23 until 7 p.m.
  • 6092 on Route 43 until 7 p.m.

Some routes aren't properly tracking right now (Route 60, for example) so there might be more discoveries to be had for anyone out looking today.

18 minutes ago, downbeat said:

Well, whatever the reason, it appears artics will be operating on those routes for much of the day, if Transit55 is to be believed.

Here's what's currently visible on Transit55:

• 6052 on Route 23 until end of service
  • 6056 on Route 61 until 7:30 p.m.
  • 6060 on Route 55 until end of service
  • 6062 on Route 43 until 8:30 p.m.
  • 6082 on Route 34 until 7 p.m.
  • 6084 and 6087 on Route 145 until end of service
  • 6088 on Route 23 until 7 p.m.
  • 6092 on Route 43 until 7 p.m.

Some routes aren't properly tracking right now (Route 60, for example) so there might be more discoveries to be had for anyone out looking today.

6075 is on the 60, got a photo of it in the morning and 6085 did the 128 for the AM Peak.

• Like 1

Ill touch on the artics. After the october snow storm last year, transit worked on a plan to continue to provide a full, or as close to a full amount of service as possible. One of the things that was highlighted was the articulated buses on the 3 and 301 often get stuck on route, and on reasonable detour routes. As a result, as per the plan, at a certain level (that must be in play), articulated get assigned to more...flatter routes....and 40 footers are assigned according. Additionally, articulated buses are not to run after pm rush hour if 40 footers are available. A sneek peak to next signup, this wont be a problem...

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, Gsgeek540 said:

After the october snow storm last year, transit worked on a plan to continue to provide a full, or as close to a full amount of service as possible. […] At a certain level (that must be in play), articulated get assigned to more...flatter routes....and 40 footers are assigned according. Additionally, articulated buses are not to run after pm rush hour if 40 footers are available.

This seems like an entirely reasonable plan! I also noticed some buses are ordered off the 7th Avenue Mall. (I saw detour alerts for Routes 7 and 30 today.)

3 hours ago, downbeat said:

This seems like an entirely reasonable plan! I also noticed some buses are ordered off the 7th Avenue Mall. (I saw detour alerts for Routes 7 and 30 today.)

I believe getting all (remaining) buses off of the avenue until it is clear of snow is within at snow plan as well.

• Like 1

Based off transit55, it looks like the 3 and 301 have been downgraded to 40 footers for the day for the most part. A few artics on the 23, 60/61 and a few other random ones here and there.

I wonder, do they put in extra buses on the 3 and 301 routes to compensate for the smaller buses?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A bus passed me about 30 minutes ago displaying Route 999 but no destination. It was carrying passengers (including some young kids) going westbound on 6th Avenue x 2nd Street S.W. Anyone know what this might have been?

I didn't get a good look at it but it was an older model with flip dot displays.

1 hour ago, downbeat said:

A bus passed me about 30 minutes ago displaying Route 999 but no destination. It was carrying passengers (including some young kids) going westbound on 6th Avenue x 2nd Street S.W. Anyone know what this might have been?

I didn't get a good look at it but it was an older model with flip dot displays.

Keep in mind 999 is the key code for OFF.  Besides that, there are no easy leads to what route it could have been on.

• Thanks 1