General FML moments

vivablue5215

I get a PC Optimum offer that if I spend $400 in cosmetics by November 25th, I get an extra 80,000 PC Optimum points (roughly 20 percent). Except, I already bought a fragrance yesterday and will now have to explain to the manager or the employee because they get commission from the sale. Luckily it is a regular store and know I am a good customer, so they will most likely redo the purchase noting they do it all the time as long as customer has the original receipt to verify the transaction.

On top, having to refund another purchase made from a different town. Because the products stocked are not available locally and even when there is a closer store, they won't process a return that was done at another location.

To be honest, I feel bad since commission is involved along with the additional work. At the same time, I aim to make it right in a future purchase where I can. 

• 2 weeks later...

Time has come to say goodbye to our old car (#1), a 2002 Mercedes E320, that served us well (for the most part) since 2005 and that I got to drive since last year when I got my G2. We also briefly (2017-2019) had a second identical model (#2), also built in 2002, but it ended up not being roadworthy (tank leakage, and one instance of a shaft falling off) and so was scrapped last year. For the past while, car #1 had engine misfiring issues, but was still working fine for the most part, until last Friday when a brake fluid warning popped up while I was driving. Just in case, I decided to pull over in a quiet neighborhood and let my dad know what was going on. One of our friends gave my dad a ride to my location, and my dad carefully drove car #1 back home, confirming that it was no longer safe to drive, and that the brake fluid was leaking onto our driveway. On Monday, he carefully drove the car to our mechanic, who confirmed that the cost of repairing it would make it not worth it. Sucks too that it has a nearly full tank of gas that can't be salvaged. Now the only car we have is #3 (a 2018 Mercedes E400), which neither me nor my brother are allowed to drive in the foreseeable future (though our mechanic said that no matter how much we try to keep it in brand new condition, it won't last longer than 10 years, so we might as well get the most out of it). My brother has his own car, which I also got to drive recently, and I'm going to start looking into getting my own car sometime in the future.

Edit: so we did manage to get most (about 90%) of the gas salvaged, but there was another issue. My dad contacted the same people whom he previously sold car #2 for scrap, in order to sell car #1 as well. Meanwhile, another person (apparently another loyal customer of our mechanic) wanted to buy the AC unit from car #1, so we initially agreed that he will stop by the garage, have the AC unit removed with the help of the mechanic, and hand the money over to him so he could give it to us. Turns out he also took whatever he could find inside the car (luckily nothing particularly valuable except the old GPS with 15-years-out-of-date maps, and the spare wheel) and also stripped parts off the car, including both bumpers (which technically wasn't part of the deal), and didn't leave any money (his excuse being that he "only had enough cash to pay the mechanic"). We now gotta make arrangements to meet up with the guy so he can either pay us, or return some of the items. Seems that this was more of a misunderstanding rather than a case of stealing with malicious intent.

Edited by 81-717

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
4 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

Tomorrow is Black Friday.

That is all.

4 hours ago, Tom1122 said:

I found it a minute ago. This usually happens when I post that I can't find something it usually turns up a short time later.

Now that you've found your iPod, make sure to add this song for tomorrow:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So my trusty little Canon Powershot camera is wearing out.  The battery / SD card 'hatch' won't close properly anymore, and it is beyond awkward to try and keep it closed while operating the camera. A friend of mine dropped it about 10 years ago, and the hatch had been a bit fussy ever since.

A friend of mine gave me an Olympus FE-280 that I have been keeping as a stand-by, so I guess it is time to give the battery a good charging up and start using that. It uses a very small memory card, but fortunately when I got my new computer, I also got an adapter that the card fits into so I can get photos from that card onto my computer.

index.jpg

41DS14v34qL._AC_.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The time when I boot up a game after downloading the mandatory update. Except it isn't validating the update and asking me to reinstall the entire 96 GB of data because the progress bar isn't counting properly. Ended up having to cancel it and deleted the entire game.

Have to redownload 38 GB of data (good thing for unlimited data usage on home internet). Issue is they were trying to detect between those who have a paid subscription versus those who paid for the add-on. Or technically "paywall" for additional content.

Can't wait for my 500 megabit download internet to come soon enough. Especially since I am waiting for a different game in the mail and already downloaded the base 60 GB before it asked for another 16 GB. Not the end of the story since two more major patches are coming in January and February. I mean nothing really gets smaller these days. 

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Benton Harper said:

There is a clearance center on the south side of 132nd avenue around 145th street has some, on the floor shelf on the east wall.  6 pieces for 19.99

Seem to work on the bigger birds, but those sparrows are bright, thinking going to need more

Yes, those spikes are designed for pigeons. Sparrows are generally never a problem. Pigeons hang around and make huge messes. Plus pigeons will attract other pigeons and before you know it you have a family of them. They are very opportunistic.

Sparrows do not hang around, unless you live in a tree.

The Wild Bird Store on 122 Street and 107 Ave also sell Pigeon Spikes.

My neighbor and I were gonna take some large things to the laundromat and get a few other errands done, but ended up not going because someone had stolen her cars catalytic converter overnight.  So really this is her FML moment, but I was looking forward to knocking off a few things on my to do list, and going to the Bakery / Deli next door to the laundromat for Free Coffee Mondays.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

The time when I realize my EarPods were in my pants and went through the washing machine. No longer useable since I put it in the dryer and it is a big ball without the chance of untangling or the electronics surviving.

On the bright side, it was on the last legs since the reliability has gone down over the last few weeks. I do have AirPods, but prefer not to use them outside the house in case I lose one. Especially if they need charging too. This is why I keep a pair handy in case one breaks, I still have another one.

Now if they change to USB-C for the next iPhone/iPad models, then there will be a lot more money to spend on consistency. At least I have a wireless charger to accommodate without needing to change cables. Since I still am using a Lighting cable from years ago. Can't stand the Apple made charging cables since they break so easily. 

• 2 weeks later...

So phoned Shaw Cable last Saturday to disconnect moms cable TV service.  All her bills were paid promptly. Took the 'box' and remote to the post office yesterday.

So today I get a bill for $308.84.  You can bet I'm on the phone with them (on hold) right now.

Edit:

Was on hold for an hour, gave up and went to online chat, got an agent RIGHT AWAY ?

Turns out the charge was for the equipment (box & remote) which apparently they charge for right after the service 'goes dead'. I submitted the Canada Post tracking number and the chat agent removed the charge, and because the billing cycle is on Feb. 11, I am now getting a credit of $10.16 in the form of a cheque which will be made out to moms estate and mailed to me in 4-6 weeks.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, captaintrolley said:

So phoned Shaw Cable last Saturday to disconnect moms cable TV service.  All her bills were paid promptly. Took the 'box' and remote to the post office yesterday.

So today I get a bill for $308.84.  You can bet I'm on the phone with them (on hold) right now. This is robbery. They shouldn't take advantage of a dead person like this.

If you have the tracking number, they shouldn't charge you immediately especially since it is usually 30 days from when the service is terminated. Giving time to send the equipment back through Canada Post. I went through a similar process since I switched providers and asked for a shipping label sent to me plus documenting the conversation to return the old modem. This was for a third-party where if it is a major carrier like Shaw, they give you a return ID number to attach to the package.

Hopefully the matter gets addressed. Since with COVID-19, it may take a little longer for the company to receive the returned equipment. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, GTAmissions1 said:

If you have the tracking number, they shouldn't charge you immediately

The agent says the equipment charge is applied to the account as soon as the service is disconnected. I found that to be a bit abrupt, as it takes time for the equipment to make it's way to where it needs to go. However, all seems to be good now (so far).

I wonder how many people just blindly pay their bills without inquiry? Maybe Shaw was hoping I wouldn't catch it and just pay? 

• Like 2

After so much back and forth between National Student Loans, they finally approve my repayment assistance program application after providing proof of income. Which is a lot better than the collections letter they sent by mistake literally shocked and having to phone in to be told it was incorrect. Since if it was true, it would go on my credit report and stay there for several years. 

The assistance expires at the end of March. If I need to apply for it, have to phone in for another application to be mailed out and send it back which the period the assistance lasts for is every six months. Considering the first time they mailed out the application required, it took them almost a month for me to receive, fill out and mail back back in October. 

Hopefully things will be better since the pandemic has been declared almost a year ago. Especially since there are a lot of students having to apply for repayment assistance with the current situation right now. 

On 2/4/2021 at 6:24 PM, captaintrolley said:

The agent says the equipment charge is applied to the account as soon as the service is disconnected. I found that to be a bit abrupt, as it takes time for the equipment to make it's way to where it needs to go. However, all seems to be good now (so far).

I wonder how many people just blindly pay their bills without inquiry? Maybe Shaw was hoping I wouldn't catch it and just pay? 

I wonder how many people pay the equipment charge thinking it is a disconnection fee?

26 minutes ago, captaintrolley said:

So, just doing some rough calculations and it looks like it's gonna cost me just under $7,500.00 to probate moms Will.

Ouch. That is a lot of money to probate a will. Especially since some businesses like banks require it to protect them against any liability if they release the assets to the wrong party. Depending on what rules they may have or what kind of additional documents or paperwork required. 

On top, it would also take time for the bank to process the documents along with the necessary processes to facilitate settling the estate account. Which can take a few days to a few months depending on what is involved. 

Stay strong friend. Especially since I know it isn't easy right now. 

• Like 1