General FML moments

vivablue5215

I got a text message from the manager of the pool that I normally swim at (which has been closed since March 2020). She says the pool is up for some rehabilitation work so it will be closed for another year.

I was really looking forward to it opening (in the Stage Three 'relaunch') and get to see all my swim pals and do lunches after swimming and such. This is so disappointing. It's like being kicked when you're already down.

Thankfully we still have Kinsmen to swim at, but it's not the same. It's just not 'home'.

• Sad 3

• 2 weeks later...

Power went out at 5 AM this morning (July 5th) due to a thunderstorm. Pretty much having to cannibalize battery power from a battery pack and now having to use the hotspot on my phone to access internet via charging cable. 

This is due to time of use meters exploding. Yes you heard that right, it pretty much exploded which mine blew off from the box. Hydro crew came to replace the damaged equipment along with checking the circuit breakers to ensure no damage. At the time of writing as of 11 PM, power has still not been restored being the remaining few who are stuck. 

It was best not to leave the house before the crew came in to do the repair work especially if missing the crew, it can take more time to make arrangements for one to be sent to assist and repair. Being critical infrastructure. My data usage will probably be very high, but I do have an unlimited data plan which once I exceed the allotted bucket of data, I can still use it but at a slower speed as a trade-off. 

Probably good reinforcement for a 72 hour preparedness plan. Even though I know others along the street are probably staying with family or booking a hotel room for the night. For me, have to stick with what I have and handle it the best I can. 

EDIT: Power restored as of 9:30 AM this morning (July 6th). After submitting a ticket phoning into the utility. Especially since being without hydro for over 24 hours was the most challenging aspect. You would think they hydro company would restore it before dark sets in rather than wait until the next morning. 

• 2 weeks later...

On the way to Costco today to prepare for a family gathering in two days (we were on the highway), our GMC SUV caught fire (it seemed to be a small one, nothing inside seemed to have gotten torched) and we had to pull over immediately. We had some people telling us they saw small flames under the car and to pull over immediately, and we also saw lots of smoke coming out. We evacuated quickly and we waited for the police and firefighters to come attend to the car while we tried to flag down a tow truck (luckily there was one behind us). We got out safely and nobody got hurt or had effects of smoke. 

The car turned out to have a gas leak (with flames starting underneath the car) and it was quickly taken care of. We managed to get our jackets out quickly after we got the green light from the firefighters and the tow truck guy offered to take us back home first while he towed our car. 

• Like 2

Was really REALLY looking forward to the Hot Tub at the pool today, since they've had a sign up for the past month that it would open July 19th. So they have had a whole month to prepare for this.

The portable steps were 'out of order', the jets were not on, and I was informed the water temperature was not quite 'up there' (normally it is set for 40°C)

*sigh*  My tired old bones were really very disappointed.

• 2 weeks later...

Just one of those days where I wasn't batting a very good average.

Went to Second Cup for coffee this morning (my usual place is closed Mondays, and my usual Monday place - Sorentinos - was getting to be a bit expensive).

Second cup is still not using ceramic cups for dine in coffee drinkers. I asked why, and was told it is because of (you know) covid. I explained that ceramic cups get washed with soap and very hot water, and are probably cleaner / sterilized  than the paper cups, and also don't end up creating garbage like their paper counterparts.

Apparently Second Cup no longer have these yummy Butter Chicken samosas (I was looking forward to one of those), nor do they have Breakfast Sandwiches (was going to be my second choice). I settled for a Spinach Pie.  It was OK. 

Overall, not the best morning coffee experience.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Coming into work on a Sunday night to find that the morning person didn't actually do any of the work because we were short staffed and now you have to do everything yourself 

<_<<_<<_<<_<<_<

On 8/15/2021 at 4:21 PM, PCC Guy said:

Coming into work on a Sunday night to find that the morning person didn't actually do any of the work because we were short staffed and now you have to do everything yourself 

<_<<_<<_<<_<<_<

Oh I hear you.  There's nothing like walking into work and finding a steaming heap of shit waiting for you.  It gets the day off to a horrible start that's tough to recover from.

I had to put our shop co-ordinator on blast yesterday because someone called him inappropriately and filed a complaint about some kind of a comms problem between two locations in Newfoundland.  Instead of using his brain and telling the guy to call one of the people based in NL, he just dumps it in my lap and says fix it, leaving me staring at the message on my screen going WTF does this have to do with Toronto?  I asked for clarification and got told it's a problem between Saint John's and Cornerbrook and that I'm assigned to fix it.  Small details like I don't have access to any of their stuff, I'm in Toronto, none of the Toronto infrastructure or equipment's involved, none of that matters.

What matters is the shop co-ordinator got the phone call and he's assigned someone to fix it and he can wash his hands of it rather than directing it to where it needs to go.  Cue the long argument about why we can't and don't screw with other locations' equipment remotely.  Finally he emails the four people in NL that take care of this sort of thing and it's solved in five minutes but it's like pulling teeth to get to that point because he refuses to accept that there are things, actually a lot of things, that don't get maintained out of our little shop in Toronto and we shouldn't be voluntarily taking on other people's workloads even if we were technologically able to, which we aren't.  It would've been far less effort from the outset for him to have either told the person calling it in the correct number to call or send off that email in the first place instead of arguing about it for half an hour.

And I'm starting to share your dislike for contractors.  I booked some work on the house for this week because I'm doing a rare work from home and put a deposit on it.  Nobody showed up.  Call the rep who arranged the work to confirm it's still on when nobody arrived by 10:30 AM yesterday.  Uh yeah, it's still on, I'll get the scheduling guy to call you.  Scheduling guy doesn't call me.  I call the office late in the afternoon.  They transfer me to scheduling guy.  Then they come back on the line because scheduling guy has already left.  Information's been taken down and scheduling guy is supposed to call me back today.  So far nobody's arrived today.  Scheduling guy doesn't know it but he's got a deadline of lunchtime to call me back.  If I don't hear anything by the time I'm done eating lunch, the office is getting a surprise, unannounced in-person visit to deal with WTF is going on here.

• Like 1

It's funny that you should mention contractors, because the grief I experienced at work on Sunday was an order for such a person. They came in before the start of my shift and placed 6 orders for 6 different job sites, with the total being worth around $14k, for delivery the next day. I don't know who in their right mind told them that we would be able to fulfill this order, but told them they did. 175 sheets of drywall, 400 pieces of lumber, etc. The allegation that was made was that we didn't have anyone in in the morning that could drive a forklift, so nothing ended up getting done.

Some guys from other departments took pity on me and over the course of the evening the three of us managed to put together around 60% of the job. There was still much left to be done when I left home for the night, and I felt bad for whoever was going to be in in the morning who would have to finish up the job, but unfortunately this is what happens when we pander to contractors and don't tell them no - and when they only schedule one person in this department. I wasn't in yesterday, so I don't know how that ended up going, but based on my experience having to work with these people I would not be shocked at all to find that they had scheduled all those materials to be delivered the same day they needed them.

Then there was the guy I had about a week ago that was calling with regards to the whereabouts of his order. It had been a busy morning so the delivery driver had to make multiple trips, and by the time I got into work the last trip had gone out with the deliveries. I told the guy calling that I didn't know the precise location of his delivery, but all of them had gone out and are on their way now. He demanded again to know where exactly his order was, so I told him that this driver doesn't work for us, he is with a company we have a contract with and have no way of getting in touch with him, to which he replied, "Well, fucking find him!"

Real charming. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

No kidding.  I pulled the paperwork for the job on the house and the contarct was signed and deposit delivered exactly two months ago with the job scheduled over this week's work from home period so I'm here for it.  What I think happened is the opposite problem where they've completely crashed and burned from having too much runway, too much advance notice, too much prep time and it got forgotten about because it wasn't a week away when it was booked and it's gone through the cracks.

Meanwhile, if their scheduler can't schedule a frigging phone call with me, how am I supposed to have any confidence in their ability to schedule a construction project?  Their office opened at 7:30 so they've had two and a quarter hours to call me up and straighten this out and they haven't.  I'm thinking the in person visit is getting moved up from after lunch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PCC Guy said:

for delivery the next day.

This.  Right there.  It must be a standard practice.

They just called me moments, moments right as I finished tying my shoes as I was about to grab the folder with the contract documents, before I was going to head out the door to ask what's going on and they confirmed the job for tomorrow and said they were going to order the materials for tomorrow.  There it is, the contracting company is doing the "I need all this for the next day" despite sitting on a large deposit for two months which means that if there's a snafu on getting supplies for tomorrow, it means additional schedule slip right out of the gate that's totally, 100% completely and easily avoidable.

I don't get it either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PCC Guy said:

Then there was the guy I had about a week ago that was calling with regards to the whereabouts of his order. It had been a busy morning so the delivery driver had to make multiple trips, and by the time I got into work the last trip had gone out with the deliveries. I told the guy calling that I didn't know the precise location of his delivery, but all of them had gone out and are on their way now. He demanded again to know where exactly his order was, so I told him that this driver doesn't work for us, he is with a company we have a contract with and have no way of getting in touch with him, to which he replied, "Well, fucking find him!"

Real charming. :rolleyes:

I'd be giving them some BS like, Oh, the tracker is down at the moment, last position was on highway X about 10 minutes ago.

Yeah nasty customers are a PITA.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MVTArider said:

I'd be giving them some BS like, Oh, the tracker is down at the moment, last position was on highway X about 10 minutes ago.

Yeah nasty customers are a PITA.

Unfortunately, that could go wrong too, though, especially when you don't know how many other job sites in the area the driver is supposed to hit up. But I have found that giving some answer is usually better than "I don't know", especially when in cases like this it can be blamed on traffic/other job sites in the area, etc.

I have been trying to look in other options for me, such as maybe a back room job that doesn't involve so much interaction with the public. Few experiences have been quite so hellish as working customer service for 2 years while public health wags their fingers at you for wanting to do enjoyable things in your free time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PCC Guy said:

I have been trying to look in other options for me, such as maybe a back room job that doesn't involve so much interaction with the public. Few experiences have been quite so hellish as working customer service for 2 years while public health wags their fingers at you for wanting to do enjoyable things in your free time.

If the media reports about a great resignation wave coming are true, it sounds like a lot of people are looking around and thinking hard about packing it in after being beaten into the ground with work and nothing else but work for the last 17 months.

That was a very long, interesting conversation after that football practice on Sunday.  The whole essential worker "You know you're being completely screwed, right?" conversation with the look of realization once the facts are set out.  One of them's ex army and both now work as garbage collectors.  You should've seen how seriously pissed off they got when I explained that cushy work from home laptop warriors got that no questions asked $400 free money tax credit while they got nothing except cancelled football for two years running.

• Like 1

My friend and I got to the pool to discover that it is closed for a Triathlon today and tomorrow.  My friend is leaving tomorrow with her family on a mini vacation and will not return until Sunday evening. So looks like no swimming for me until Monday. I will survive, I can manage a few days without swimming, better than the 6 month covid induced hiatus previously endured. I will be in rough shape on Monday though.  

I was so flummoxed and caught off guard by the pool being closed that I totally forgot Dutch Delicious was serving a $4.50 lunch today. It would have been a perfect opportunity to attend because normally my swim pal and I are swimming on Wednesdays and usually don't get back until around 1330hrs, missing the lunch deadline.

238593525_4367381499951994_3073103914119412844_n.jpg

239839791_4366254403398037_3893807763433711273_n.jpg

• Like 1

Wanted to setup the outdoor table in the backyard today, for which I had to take all the parts out of the shed, before attempting to take out the glass table top (usually done by 2 people). Unfortunately the shed has just about the worst configuration possible: very narrow (especially with over half the width being used as storage space), with stairs to climb leaving only a small space at the top & bottom of the stairs, and a sharp turn right at the top of the stairs to the exit. The table top wouldn't fit when I tried to lift it & turn it, and when I started slowly lowering it back down it exploded into a million pieces all over the shed. Luckily none of the fragments went in my eyes, though I got a couple minor cuts on my arms and legs. Cleaning up the mess was definitely more time-consuming and less fun than assembling the table.

• Sad 2

I did a real bone head thing today. I accidentally left the lid off on my Balcony Buffet (bird seed, peanuts, suet nuggets) storage tub this morning. Mr. Chewy (one of my two squirrels) has single-handedly made off with about 1/3 of the 3lb bag of peanuts. He's stashing them somewhere. I put the lid back on and he's none too pleased with me right now.

I had booked a ticket on the Agawa Canyon Tour train for September 21.  After booking a trip around the dates including requesting time off work, it looks now the departure is cancelled. I will get a refund on my ticket but I would have liked to have known this sooner. 😡

• Sad 1

56 minutes ago, Tom1122 said:

I had booked a ticket on the Agawa Canyon Tour train for September 21.  After booking a trip around the dates including requesting time off work, it looks now the departure is cancelled. I will get a refund on my ticket but I would have liked to have known this sooner. 😡

The train being cancelled undeniably sucks but it might still be worth doing the trip to Sault Ste. Marie though.  The drive through that part of northern Ontario is usually spectacular around that time of year, plus there's lots of places to explore around Georgian Bay and Lake Superior and great lakes shipping to watch.

Take along an AM radio and wait until after dark and see what comes in while you look at the stars well away from the light pollution of the golden horseshoe area.

I had a Kijiji pickup go bust out in New Hamburg back in late winter.  The machine I was buying conked out and just wouldn't start up no matter what the seller did and he didn't want to let it go as-is at a discount so the deal fell through but I took the back roads from home to New Hamburg and enjoyed the drive, had some good music, and when I was almost there, crossed Nafziger Rd. which caused me to get my bearings.  I'd taken that up to Wellesley before in 2017 to pick up a different machine from an elderly gentleman who had closed down his manufacturing company and was starting to sell off the tools and equipment but was holding off hoping to sell it as a turnkey operation except for some non-core business stuff that are really antiques now that he was letting go.

After the deal fell through, I decided to detour up the road and drive by.  The factory building was completely dark, not even any emergency lights on.  A little bit closer to town, I could see lights on at his house and I thought about knocking on the door but it was dark, it was getting late, and with the pandemic, I really wanted to take no chances at all of accidentally getting this really sweet elderly couple sick so as much as it broke my heart to leave the area without saying hello, I headed out of town on my way home and parked in the far corner of a huge parking lot just out of town to plot the drive back and got out of the truck for a break and took in the stars.  Wellesley was far enough, just far enough from the golden horseshoe and K-W for the stars to shine through in a way we don't get around here.

I've been itching to take a break and get away from it all since then.  Even with the train cancelled, I'd still encourage you to take your vacation.  The pandemic's been long and rough for everyone, and we're all overdue for a break.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

The train being cancelled undeniably sucks but it might still be worth doing the trip to Sault Ste. Marie though.  The drive through that part of northern Ontario is usually spectacular around that time of year, plus there's lots of places to explore around Georgian Bay and Lake Superior and great lakes shipping to watch.

Take along an AM radio and wait until after dark and see what comes in while you look at the stars well away from the light pollution of the golden horseshoe area.

I had a Kijiji pickup go bust out in New Hamburg back in late winter.  The machine I was buying conked out and just wouldn't start up no matter what the seller did and he didn't want to let it go as-is at a discount so the deal fell through but I took the back roads from home to New Hamburg and enjoyed the drive, had some good music, and when I was almost there, crossed Nafziger Rd. which caused me to get my bearings.  I'd taken that up to Wellesley before in 2017 to pick up a different machine from an elderly gentleman who had closed down his manufacturing company and was starting to sell off the tools and equipment but was holding off hoping to sell it as a turnkey operation except for some non-core business stuff that are really antiques now that he was letting go.

After the deal fell through, I decided to detour up the road and drive by.  The factory building was completely dark, not even any emergency lights on.  A little bit closer to town, I could see lights on at his house and I thought about knocking on the door but it was dark, it was getting late, and with the pandemic, I really wanted to take no chances at all of accidentally getting this really sweet elderly couple sick so as much as it broke my heart to leave the area without saying hello, I headed out of town on my way home and parked in the far corner of a huge parking lot just out of town to plot the drive back and got out of the truck for a break and took in the stars.  Wellesley was far enough, just far enough from the golden horseshoe and K-W for the stars to shine through in a way we don't get around here.

I've been itching to take a break and get away from it all since then.  Even with the train cancelled, I'd still encourage you to take your vacation.  The pandemic's been long and rough for everyone, and we're all overdue for a break.

I'm still going to Sault Ste. Marie. But I will be coming on the Ontario Northland bus and flying home.

Any idea where the yard where the tourist train is and how can I get there on transit. (I have ZERO intention on trespassing). 

This is so freaking frustrating.

Two hours of work gone/wasted as Google decided not to save any of my work while writing an comprehensive report to someone in a google doc / email. I seriously thought they were supposed to save your work as you go. I'm guessing Google didn't like the subject matter and decided to say F U in its own way. My computer was connected to the internet so even if it didn't save it all, parts would've been saved.  So I now have to back to my sources and start all over on something that was 90% completed a few hours ago. 

• Sad 3