General FML moments

vivablue5215

On 7/28/2020 at 3:50 PM, Tom1122 said:

On Thursday I brought a USB drive with lots of important files for a hobby to my room with the intent to put it in my bag. I felt it fall out of my pocket in my room and I haven't been able to find it despite going thoroughly through my room.

Hours ago, I finally located my missing flash drive so things are good.

• Like 1

Discovered that my favorite pub, Pub 1905, no longer has their world famous Roasted Garlic Mushroom Soup, Peroghy wraps and Roasted Garlic Pasta. My three favorites. They have a new 'slimmed down' menu because of (you know) Covid.  I don't even want to entertain what logic may be behind that decision. At least they had appropriately spaced seating and customers were allowed to sit down LOL.

• Sad 1

A FML Moment

i accidentally quick formatted my storage drive instead of my extra drive that needed to be format.  I had to pay $99.98 a month for a program that recovers my data that didn't work.  I will be extra careful next time. 

Edited by Girardin71
more a FML Moment
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, Girardin71 said:

A FML Moment

i accidentally quick formatted my storage drive instead of my extra drive that needed to be format.  I had to pay $99.98 a month for a program that recovers my data that didn't work.  I will be extra careful next time. 

I know this is probably going to be a cold comfort given the circumstances but if it makes you feel better, about 10 days ago someone at work did the exact same thing and formatted a drive containing a bit over a terabyte of data by accident instead of the new one he'd just plugged in.

The drive came into the maintenance shop (that it came into the maintenance shop rather than IT is a rough indication of what corporate IT departments are like) and several of us have thrown every data recovery utility at it to the point of dragging a couple of old computers from 2007 out of the mothballs to run older data recovery utilities in the hope that one of them might succeed where newer software hasn't.  So far, no luck.  I don't know how much that guy had backed up elsewhere.  This is a paid professional too who's going to have to explain to his boss why his productivity's taken a severe hit all of a sudden.

Very windy today, as a result, the Farmer's Market didn't set up shop today.  So went there all for nothing.  Then decided to head back and stop at the Barber Shop. He was lined up (which is good because he is an excellent barber and I like to see him succeed in his business) so I left and decided to try my luck another day. On the bright side I went across the street and had brunch with a beer.

Photo2956.jpg

• Like 1

Just lost my house key and down to one needing to get more cut. Usually I would go to Things Engraved which would get it correct the first time without issues. They have since went out of business months ago.

Went to Home Hardware a few weeks ago to get two keys cut and they worked fine. Fast forward today, went to the same location and they were pretty much just dragging an employee to cut a key and paid for the purchase. Except, they don't fit in my door so now I have to head back to the store and get them done again. I brought keys cut and they were remade just fine like the original working fine.

Good thing I kept the receipt. Once had to call a locksmith because I was locked out coming back after a trip and somehow left my key at the hotel. It wasn't cheap which cost around $150 and around half an hour to do the work. What was worse that time is being Winter with snow on the ground too. 

Farmers Market no longer has Rainier Cherries. I figured their season would be over, but I was hoping. I didn't see them at first glance, but sometimes they have stuff and just haven't put it out yet. I tried to bypass the line up just to ask if they had them, but lady insisted that I 'get in line'. So yeah, wasted my time in line and consequently missed my bus. Had I just been able to ask, I would have made my bus (and subsequent connection).

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Maybe she misunderstood the word "adventure".

How do you reckon she could've taken it? We're both in agreement that the store is an extremely boring place, I can't imagine what it was that she thought I was inviting her out to... :unsure:

Room mate left a stove burner on medium heat again. Probably been on for at least 3 hours.  This is not the first time she has done it. I am not amused. I will tell her, and she will think it is funny and laugh it off. Thankfully there was no pot / pan on the burner.

Added a sticker to each side of the stove panel.  Do you think she will get the hint ?!?!?!?

IMG_5159.JPG

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Today at Home Depot at customer came in looking for a cheap electric mower. I pointed her to a returned mower in the clearance section and with manager approval got $100 off the normal price as-is.

An hour after she left, I saw her with another manager getting a brand new mower.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

Room mate left a stove burner on medium heat again. Probably been on for at least 3 hours.  This is not the first time she has done it. I am not amused. I will tell her, and she will think it is funny and laugh it off. Thankfully there was no pot / pan on the burner.

Added a sticker to each side of the stove panel.  Do you think she will get the hint ?!?!?!?

IMG_5159.JPG

Oh brother.  Apart from wasting electricity, apart from pumping heat into the place for hours while it's summer, apart from possibly wasting food, apart from possibly damaging cookware, leaving the stove on unattended for hours and hours does have a non-trivial fire risk associated with it. 

My mother used to be known for putting pots of water to boil things on high and then walking away or sulking and forgetting about them only to have them boil dry.  I came home from school and let myself into the house more than once and smelled that distinct hot metal smell and found multiple pots blazing hot on the stove with nothing in them.  More than one got destroyed by getting warped when this happened and they wouldn't sit on a burner properly after that.  Many of them that survived without warping but were seriously blue and bronze heat discoloured on the inside and outside of the bottom.  One of the ways investigators can tell if the emergency brakes were applied in railway accidents is if the steel wheels and rails got so overheated they changed colour and turned blue like my mother's pots and pans of which many had the telltale colours of being grossly overheated.  Frankly, we were lucky, just plain lucky a few times this happened and it went on for a while before being found, that we never had a fire.

Maybe next time instead of the Edmonton Power stickers if the roomate leaves the stove on, print out some gory kitchen fire pictures and put those up near the stove and see if the fear of that happening will be motivation to turn it off when it isn't being used.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

print out some gory kitchen fire pictures and put those up near the stove and see if the fear of that happening will be motivation to turn it off when it isn't being used.

I don't have a printer, but that is a great idea if I can find such photos, maybe cut them out from a magazine or newspaper.

8 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

Can you get her to sit down and read an article maybe? 

Thanks, I emailed it to her. Also told her to get into the habit of turning the burner off a few minutes before removing cookware from the stove. The burner is hot enough food will still cook with the burner off for a few minutes.

With (hopefully) about half a year to go before my family makes its escape to Europe, our car's motor just crapped out on us for good, and now we have to buy a new car.

When it rains, it pours!

• Sad 2

I work the McDonald's overnight shift in Ottawa to get by during these times. Last night I was working in the kitchen when my coworker who was working in the drive-tru noticed a man he was serving was intoxicated. Based on his interaction with the driver, multiple red flags came up that the man was indeed intoxicated. After coming to the realization that the driver may be under the influence and drove here, he told the driver he had to park his car so we can make him "Fresh food". They did so and parked at the wrong place. While he was stationed, we called the police to report a DUI. After about 10 minutes (this was at 3 AM), two units finally responded and boxed the car in. The driver was asked to get out of the vehicle so a sobriety test could be conducted. He was given a breathalyzer test as the first test in the sobriety test and failed, confirming he was driving drunk. The man was arrested and the police recovered multiple open beer bottles from the car (I was on break so I got to observe this from the patio). Because he didn't resist or give the cops a hard time, they allowed him to call another friend to pick up their car (as his friend in the car was drunk too). 

It makes me angry how some people think it's acceptable to drive drunk... Families are sometimes literally wiped out because of self-absorbed morons who decide to drink and drive. Had we not called it in, who knows what would have happened... We couldn't sit idle by of the idea that we let a person go who might have killed a person or themselves.

I hope the idiot gets the book thrown at him. These scum bags need to learn a hard lesson... DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE. YOU'LL KILL YOURSELF OR ANOTHER LOVED ONE(S)!

Thankfully, if convicted (which is likely), he'll face many penalties: In Ontario for first offense: 90 License suspension, Car impounded for 7 days, $550 fine, and your license plates and stickers are (to my understanding) nullified, so $280 to reinstate your plates.

In addition, unwritten penalties are: 10 year travel ban to the United States. DUI on your criminal record, makes getting jobs harder and in this case, if he was on a Visa (school, foreign worker, etc.), there's a good chance he'll be deported and banned from both Canada and the US for 10 years. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Spent the day running errands / shopping etc.  Everything was going great until decided to hit up the Body Shop downtown.  I did email the Body Shop consumer help desk to make sure the downtown store had reopened and was assured that it was indeed open.

After negotiating an unexpected bus detour, I finally made it to Eaton Center only to discover the store was not only closed, but gone with a 'For Lease' sign in the window. Needless to say I was not impressed, plus wasting a good part of an hour wandering about and riding buses. (Since there are no trolleys, riding buses is no longer fun for me).

I felt sorry for myself. Treated myself to a beer on the way home.