Hamilton Street Railway

Hybrid0920

I have a couple questions about the new ARBOCs.

1. What type of sign does the ARBOC use? Is it an Axion or Luminator?

2. What way are the wheelchair spaces facing?

1. The ARBOCs have a Luminator front sign. I am not sure of the model as it is not the same as the Horizon (only 14 dots high).

2. The wheelchair positions are forward facing. It was not possible to have rear facing positions due to the location of the rear wheels. As a result, passengers will have to be strapped in by drivers.

No light-rail trains before Games

Light-rail won't be in place in time for the Pan Am Games in 2015.

City officials charged with bringing the anticipated transit project to reality have given up hope the trains can be running by the time athletes and spectators come to town.

Jill Stephen, director of rapid transit with the city's public works department, says there is simply too much planning, design, engineering, environmental study and construction work to complete and senior officials did not want roads torn up during the Games.

“A lot of things have to align and we want to make sure we're doing it properly and not rushing to get it done.

“This is a better and more responsible way to approach it.”

Full article

I can't say I'm surprised by this, But I am very disappointed.

Without the LRT, I think the most logical way to handle increased transit needs during the games would be this:

The HSR will probably be replacing the 0200 and 0300 buses before the games. These will be the last CNG buses, and probably would be dumped early rather than have a few oddball buses in an all diesel fleet.

Instead of scrapping them, I'd put them in storage, and then bring them out for regular service during the games, while the newer buses (presumably the future 1400 and 1500 buses) handle all special Games shuttle service. When the games end, scrap the 0200s and 0300s, along with all the CNG related equipment.

The HSR will probably be replacing the 0200 and 0300 buses before the games. These will be the last CNG buses, and probably would be dumped early rather than have a few oddball buses in an all diesel fleet.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. With the cutbacks to the bus replacement program, the HSR will have to try and stretch the lives of their buses. Add to that the possibility of service increases as early as 2011, and they are going to need every available bus. I think we're seeing this already with some 9600 buses still on the road, and newly-installed Presto equipment indicates they're not ready to leave service yet.

Instead of scrapping them, I'd put them in storage, and then bring them out for regular service during the games, while the newer buses (presumably the future 1400 and 1500 buses) handle all special Games shuttle service. When the games end, scrap the 0200s and 0300s, along with all the CNG related equipment.

I don't know if they'll be scrapped that soon. In 2016, we may see shovels in the ground on the LRT line. If that's the case, there is going to be major congestion due to construction like we've never experienced on our streets before. Like any other major construction project, the HSR will likely come out with a new set of schedules for the affected area. And that will mean adding more trip time along several routes, which means adding more buses. And this project will take years. So I could see the 0200s and 0300s around well past the 12-year "expiry" date. That's what, about 40 buses? Still enough of a CNG fleet to keep the fueling infrastructure around.

Once it's finished, the LRT line will replace some of the mainline buses (all B-Lines, likely some 1, 5 and 51 buses) plus all of those extra buses added for construction. Some of those buses will be used elsewhere as "feeder" routes increase service. However, I would expect a mass retirement at that point, and that is when I think we'll see the end of CNG buses at the HSR.

Something that could change this is the city and/or HSR receiving funding to purchase additional buses prior to the games, beyond their regular fleet purchases. This could be a grant as something "games-related," or Metrolinx funding for "transition costs" in moving to LRT.

Any word when the new terminal will be opening?

It's opening is January 2nd.

MacNab bus terminal delayed again

Construction at the new MacNab bus terminal is behind schedule. Insulation and underground heat lines have been installed.

Work in progress Construction at the new MacNab bus terminal is behind schedule. Insulation and underground heat lines have been installed.

Kaz Novak/The Hamilton Spectator

The opening of the new downtown bus terminal has once again been delayed.

According to city officials, the MacNab Street facility is now set to open Jan. 2. The original plan saw the new terminal up and running last summer, but detailed work — including installing plastic underground tubing to heat the pavement and platforms above in winter — put the schedule off track.

In a memo distributed to city councillors Friday afternoon, Geoff Rae, acting general manager of public works, said construction on the terminal could be finished in late November.

It will then take another four to six weeks to assign bus operators new schedules, install signs and communications equipment and carry out a “dry run” of operations at the terminal, he said.

Councillor Sam Merulla said the delay in the project, which is estimated to cost $8 million, is inconvenient, but he’s happy it is still on budget.

“The fact that they’re indicating there won’t be an additional cost is my only concern,” said Merulla, who chairs the public works committee.

“It’s unfortunate, but something we can work through.”

The new terminal is on the east side of MacNab between King and Main streets.

It will feature an enclosed building with a landscaped “green” roof, heated platforms, public washrooms, new HSR bus shelters and enhanced accessibility for wheelchairs and bikes.

The facility is part of the city’s plan to move buses out of Gore Park and revitalize the area.

Downtown BIA executive director Kathy Drewitt said she’s frustrated with yet another delay.

“It’s already put a damper on how we organize our Christmas in Gore Park program,” she said. “It’s really inconvenienced a lot of people.”

MacNab has been closed between King and Main streets since construction started more than a year ago.

Once this is opened, how would the routing be in the downtown area with the routes that currently operate in Gore Park?

They'd use the north side of King from John to reach MacNab. Apparently, there will be no additional stop between John/Jackson and the terminal. The new platforms do not follow the stop layout of Gore Park, at least not according to Bus News. On exiting the terminal, buses would turn left onto Main and right onto James. That is why the mountain stops on James South were laid out in that fashion last year. They really did have a plan.

Would the 34 also use the new terminal?

No. It couldn't really, as both bus lanes are southbound from King to Main.

I like this part:

It will then take another four to six weeks to assign bus operators new schedules, install signs and communications equipment and carry out a “dry run” of operations at the terminal, he said.

Especially the part about assigning new schedules. Hasn't it been said here that the schedules might not change at all for the terminal? And even if they did change, it would be minor, since the drivers already have their fall schedules. This shift would likely be treated as a detour until the new times were officially incorporated into the winter schedules, which begins (surprise!) January 2. Now as for working the bugs out of the equipment, that really can take time, and just as well they're not rushing it.

The one thing about the new terminal that concerns me is the additional amount of buses that will be turning right from Main onto James without benefit of a turn arrow. There are currently 9 routes moving from Gore Park to MacNab, and all have 15-minute peak service. So That means in a peak hour, there will be an additional thirty-six buses making that turn. Not thirty-six total, thirty-six more, on top of route 51 (6 buses), GO Transit and other intercity services.

Yah, thats what I thought about as well. That intersection is gonna get REALLY congested. The left turn onto James from King got pretty awkward already with the A-Line and King using it now. If a Barton or Cannon bus happens to be sitting at the stop on James in front of the CIBC, the King/A-Line gets awkwardly stuck in the intersection or has to wait. Similarly if a bus is coming Southbound from James North. Commonly they have to wait through a light and hold up traffic a bit.

Things are gonna get hairy.

Does the eastbound 10 service from University Plaza stop at the front of MAC hospital or someplace on Main Street?

The eastbound 10 stops at main/Emerson (SW corner) on the way to Eastgate. However, the 10A short turn trips start under the canopy at the main entrance to MUMC and that is where they take their recovery. You have to check the schedule to see what stop is best to use at any given time.

In other HSR news, buses 9703, 05, 08, 17 and 18 have been sold to Mississauga Truck and Bus. No word yet on what MTB plans to do with them but who knows, they may end up elsewhere after refurb.

In other HSR news, buses 9703, 05, 08, 17 and 18 have been sold to Mississauga Truck and Bus. No word yet on what MTB plans to do with them but who knows, they may end up elsewhere after refurb.

Wasn't 9718 a fire victim? Strange choice for a refurb.

If a Barton or Cannon bus happens to be sitting at the stop on James in front of the CIBC, the King/A-Line gets awkwardly stuck in the intersection or has to wait. Similarly if a bus is coming Southbound from James North. Commonly they have to wait through a light and hold up traffic a bit.

Some drivers will take two lanes on King to start the turn if there's a 2/3 bus already at the stop, or if they think one will show up before they make the turn. If they do it that way, they make the turn no problem, though they may momentarily frustrate some drivers on King Street.

The eastbound 10 stops at main/Emerson (SW corner) on the way to Eastgate. However, the 10A short turn trips start under the canopy at the main entrance to MUMC and that is where they take their recovery. You have to check the schedule to see what stop is best to use at any given time.

Too bad the stop isn't on the SE corner instead. That way, B-Line buses leaving Mac could serve the same stop as those leaving the Plaza. It would eliminate the guesswork. It would also fix a similar problem for Delaware passengers.

This leads to a bigger issue: has there been any progress at all in determining a terminal location to serve McMaster University?

Some drivers will take two lanes on King to start the turn if there's a 2/3 bus already at the stop, or if they think one will show up before they make the turn. If they do it that way, they make the turn no problem, though they may momentarily frustrate some drivers on King Street.

They need to make the curb lane on King a bus only lane between John and MacNab with a transit priority signal at James and another at MacNab=therefore allowing the bus to turn in any direction at James on their signal without affecting any other lanes.

They need to make the curb lane on King a bus only lane between John and MacNab with a transit priority signal at James and another at MacNab=therefore allowing the bus to turn in any direction at James on their signal without affecting any other lanes.

That would work if it's in the left-hand curb lane. The right curb would not work without a major reworking of the stop layout. The Delaware buses take a break immediately past James, while BT1 and Upper Paradise take their breaks just before James. That really limits the usefulness of the lane to other buses, not just traffic in general.

You won't need a signal at MacNab. The mountain buses are not stopping anywhere along King. To use the transit signal, they'd have to get over to the curb lane, when they can just hang left all the way. Now in the future, when King goes two-way to accommodate LRT, a left-turn transit signal will come in quite handy. But then you'd lose any left-side bus lane.

That would work if it's in the left-hand curb lane. The right curb would not work without a major reworking of the stop layout. The Delaware buses take a break immediately past James, while BT1 and Upper Paradise take their breaks just before James. That really limits the usefulness of the lane to other buses, not just traffic in general.

You won't need a signal at MacNab. The mountain buses are not stopping anywhere along King. To use the transit signal, they'd have to get over to the curb lane, when they can just hang left all the way. Now in the future, when King goes two-way to accommodate LRT, a left-turn transit signal will come in quite handy. But then you'd lose any left-side bus lane.

Forgot about the layovers along King. That wouldn't work then. I was thinking on how to accomodate the King buses and completely overlooked the mountain buses.

• 2 weeks later...
Bus driver critically injured in Rymal crash

A 39-year-old HSR bus driver is in serious condition in hospital after being trapped in the wreckage of her bus after it collided with and a tractor trailer truck on Rymal Road East early Friday.

The driver was cut free by Hamilton firefighters almost 90 minutes after the collision at the intersection of Rymal Road East and Miles Road at 5:40 a.m.
Hull said the driver’s legs were pinned, trapping her in the wrecked bus.
Hull said it is too soon to estimate the damage to the bus but in his experience it is likely a write-off

It is hard to make out the bus number in the Spec picture, but it looks like 0605?

http://www.thespec.com/news/crime/article/...-in-rymal-crash