CP Power

TheAverageJoe

Thanks everyone for the positive comments. I usually don't have a lot of time to 'chase' a train but I knew exactly where this one was going and because of the speed restrictions it certainly wasn't hard to keep up on my bike! I wish I had my camera instead of a blackberry - I never expected to catch a train in this location.

Maybe I should tell you when CN 543 goes down into Keating Yard and does a few places along there on the TTR next time

Yes, certainly Michael if you want to share any times when trains are in this area I would be interested to know. I would hopefully be able to bring a camera next time! By the way, keep up the great work with pictures on Railpictures.net.

I wish I could have caught a few more shots of the CN train that was parked on one of the sidings. I can't help but throw in a few more pictures from yesterday:

IMG00066.jpg

IMG00074.jpg

IMG00081.jpg

IMG00086.jpg

IMG00094.jpg

IMG00098.jpg

IMG00115.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Repower #7102 parked at the Alyth shops in Calgary yesterday. Its actually been parked around the Alyth shops for a few weeks or more now. But was never parked in a position where I could get somewhat of a decent photo of it.

7684repower7102.jpg

EDIT: Also, yesterday evening when on a layover at Chinook on my route 36, a northbound freight passed through with an interesting locomotive consist, there were at least 5 SD40-2's of which I remember the firs two as being #'s 5729, 5789, 6038 (Or was that 6036?) and two others with at least one of them being in the 6000's and in the middle of those SD40-2's was Union Pacific #8280.

Wow, nice catch of those 3 engines down in the port lands. I recall seeing a photo of locomotives being loaded on a ship by the "docks entertainment" complex for export oversea's. This must mean that they used those tracks that run down by the Richard Hearn generating station. If possible could someone post that timetable of when Port lands movements happen? Also, anyone know if the spur track going into the Lakeview sewage treatment/ former site of the Lakeview generating station, is still used? I live near it but have never seen anything, but according to google maps, there are 2 tanker cars either used for long term storage or I have been missing drop offs for that last 20 years, thanks

Neil

Wow, nice catch of those 3 engines down in the port lands. I recall seeing a photo of locomotives being loaded on a ship by the "docks entertainment" complex for export oversea's. This must mean that they used those tracks that run down by the Richard Hearn generating station. If possible could someone post that timetable of when Port lands movements happen? Also, anyone know if the spur track going into the Lakeview sewage treatment/ former site of the Lakeview generating station, is still used? I live near it but have never seen anything, but according to google maps, there are 2 tanker cars either used for long term storage or I have been missing drop offs for that last 20 years, thanks

Neil

The exports were a surprise move, as usually they go via GEXR to CN to Halifax and go overseas from there. This time, they were taken down to the docks to be shipped directly from Toronto. Only time will tell if this practice is to be repeated.

IIRC, it was about 6 Class 66's (EMD JT42CWR) locomotives that were loaded up. I'm not 100% as I missed catching the move from London to Toronto that time.

Wow, nice catch of those 3 engines down in the port lands. I recall seeing a photo of locomotives being loaded on a ship by the "docks entertainment" complex for export oversea's. This must mean that they used those tracks that run down by the Richard Hearn generating station. If possible could someone post that timetable of when Port lands movements happen?

Movements on the THC trackage is pretty hit-and-miss....for several years now CN has been operating during the days and CP during the nights, but about 8 or 9 years ago it was the other way around. I'm not certain that it's daily anymore either.

The tracks past Hearn are still infrequently at best - CPR still spots 89' flats there.

Also, anyone know if the spur track going into the Lakeview sewage treatment/ former site of the Lakeview generating station, is still used? I live near it but have never seen anything, but according to google maps, there are 2 tanker cars either used for long term storage or I have been missing drop offs for that last 20 years, thanks

Neil

I have never personally seen it used, but until last summer at least the rust on the rails to at least the switch splitting the two spurs had only light surface rust, which would indicate to me that it is still used.

Keep in mind too though that the aerial photos used in Google Earth are at least two years out of date - the "Four Sisters" are still shown as standing.

Dan

Movements on the THC trackage is pretty hit-and-miss....for several years now CN has been operating during the days and CP during the nights, but about 8 or 9 years ago it was the other way around. I'm not certain that it's daily anymore either.

The tracks past Hearn are still infrequently at best - CPR still spots 89' flats there.

I have never personally seen it used, but until last summer at least the rust on the rails to at least the switch splitting the two spurs had only light surface rust, which would indicate to me that it is still used.

Keep in mind too though that the aerial photos used in Google Earth are at least two years out of date - the "Four Sisters" are still shown as standing.

Dan

Have a look at Microsoft's Virtual Earth birds' eye view. Based on the view of Mississauga, they flew the GTA in October 2007.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&...1&encType=1

(I've centred the link where the tracks go south.

Thanks for the link and info, what do you know, looking at the microsoft images, there appears to be a series of flatbed cars infront of the new gas plant. If you look where the container terminal is, there appears to be 3 euro export locomotives waiting for shipment. Just when I thought it was a ghost town there, there is new life.

On another not, those tank cars at the Lakeview sewage facility dont appear to be there leading me to believe that this spur is still used, but most likely at night. Ha, here I thought, "why the hell would the mississauga transit bus's be stopping for this abandoned track" I would imagine these cars would come from Mimico yard. I live around the browns line area and hope to catch some switching activity in and around the horner spur or Canpa Sub.

On another not, those tank cars at the Lakeview sewage facility dont appear to be there leading me to believe that this spur is still used, but most likely at night. Ha, here I thought, "why the hell would the mississauga transit bus's be stopping for this abandoned track" I would imagine these cars would come from Mimico yard. I live around the browns line area and hope to catch some switching activity in and around the horner spur or Canpa Sub.

Buses still have to stop for it, it's not like CN or CP sends a newsletter to the transit agencies listing which spurs have been recently abandoned or anything...

Keep an eye, CP takes the new GO units go down the Canpa to get delivered to Willowbrook.

Buses still have to stop for it, it's not like CN or CP sends a newsletter to the transit agencies listing which spurs have been recently abandoned or anything...

Keep an eye, CP takes the new GO units go down the Canpa to get delivered to Willowbrook.

That would be an interesting consist. I would imagine this is a monthly operation? Those new engines are a drastic change from the norm. Wish I had a camera all those times in the early 90's, when we were passing through willowbrook and there were still a few FP7A's(aux. power) and gp's around, not to mention the old via, go transit and CN passenger cars.

CP GP38AC 3010 deep in CN territory. In the ex-BC Rail North Vancouver yard, coupled onto the tail end of 2816's train ready to pull it out to Willingdon Junction in Burnaby, so 2816 can lead when they run into downtown Vancouver today. The only CP units we normally see are the GE's and the odd SD9043MAC. First time I know of that a CP GP38AC has visited the BCR.

cp3010.jpg

cp3010a.jpg

2816 arrived yesterday for BC 150 anniversary celebrations at Ambleside.

2816d.jpg

Going through the yard and out to Ambleside

2816e.jpg

Out at Ambleside.

2816g.jpg

I hear CP is receiving some more Leased locomotives? Someone mentioned they are numbered in the 2200's? I have no other info, so if someone could help me with that, it would be great! Thanks!

SD40/-2? or Geeps (GP38/40's)?? I know LLPX has GP38-2 rebuilds in the 2200's

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A few that were shot in the past days with the new camera.

CP 122 rolls onto the DVP in the normal morning rush hour commute, you can see the smog filling the DVP up nicely.

122CP5642CP5933small.jpg

CP 158 with two GE's rolls across the valley over CN's Bala Subdivision on a quiet morning.

158CP9683s.jpg

CP T53 "Obico A" job switches out a customer in the Area H spur, a note to MrMoloko I should take ya down there some point soon after the OBRY chase.

T53-CP8208small.jpg

A few that were shot in the past days with the new camera.

CP 122 rolls onto the DVP in the normal morning rush hour commute, you can see the smog filling the DVP up nicely.

122CP5642CP5933small.jpg

CP T53 "Obico A" job switches out a customer in the Area H spur, a note to MrMoloko I should take ya down there some point soon after the OBRY chase.

T53-CP8208small.jpg

Nice to see 5642 is also alive and running, also can you also include me to the Obico A job?

• 4 weeks later...

Tuesday August 26th, 2008

I never seen how a Hi-Rail vehicle would convert itself from rubber to steel for railroad application, but is what I got when I was railfanning on the CPR.

I have forgotten the name of the Company that owns this Hi-Rail, truck... the name starts with an "M"

Enjoy

- Lowering the steel wheels for railroad application
- Raising the steel wheels for road application