CP Power

TheAverageJoe

CP 1704 has now been shipped out, on account the whole contract was canceled.

It seems they performed less then expected by CP. They were expecting GP38 substitutes.

Do you know where the 1704 went? and how many GP38-2 rebuilds are they getting and im guessing they are coming from NRE?????

Do you know where the 1704 went? and how many GP38-2 rebuilds are they getting and im guessing they are coming from NRE?????

No, no. CP was expecting the GG's to perform like GP38's. Which they failed to do.

1704 was never put in CP service, Railpower is sending it somewhere else now. As to where I'm not sure.

No, no. CP was expecting the GG's to perform like GP38's. Which they failed to do.

1704 was never put in CP service, Railpower is sending it somewhere else now. As to where I'm not sure.

wouldnt they more perform like GP9U's as best??? well wonder what CP will do since they will need more yard power in the coming years???? looks like maybe more NRE GP38-2 than.

CP 1704 has now been shipped out, on account the whole contract was canceled.

It seems they performed less then expected by CP. They were expecting GP38 substitutes.

So it was shipped out just since this January 25, 2007 then ? That was quick. I shall have to take another drive down there and check to see what's around again!

wouldnt they more perform like GP9U's as best??? well wonder what CP will do since they will need more yard power in the coming years???? looks like maybe more NRE GP38-2 than.

Actually, they wouldn't perform like either. They've got far more complex control systems, which mean they should have higher adheasion/better traction. They might have been set up as yard units, with very low gearing and higher weight, which would increase traction even more. And of course, they were also set up for R/C control, whereas the GP38's aren't.

Also note that 1703 and 1704 are not identical, particularly at the end of the long hood. It looks like whatever issues CPR was having, Railpower was trying to fix it.

Dan

Also note that 1703 and 1704 are not identical, particularly at the end of the long hood. It looks like whatever issues CPR was having, Railpower was trying to fix it.

Dan

1704 was built as a beefier unit then the 4 beforehand. Sister 1705 was also built with a larger one, though it became RFRX 1705 on account the contract was canceled before it was finished.

There's a rather interesting site with information on all of the Green Goats built here.

Equipped with a larger 500kW diesel generator, giving the unit a noticeable hump at the end of the long hood.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

An Interesting Consist here in Calgary! Especially the CSX and the older CEFX. Usually only see CEFX 100's and 1000's here in Calgary, not 3100's !! Enjoy:

cefx3180.jpgcsx7740.jpg

cp8759csx7740cefx3180r.jpgcefx3180_2.jpg

Thats CSX motive power hours owed to CP for CP power running through the Windy city on CSX trains to points south/east

Shot these pics today, we're seeing a lot of interesing power through here. The first one is a rare sight, SD40-2 5827 running long hood forward, its leading the CWR train, decided to give me a little smoke show for the shot, the second shot is of ES4400 8787, racing through Azilda. Just something about these 2 pics that make me a happy railfan <_<

IMG_23921.jpg

IMG_24081.jpg

they are/were on long term lease to CSX when they where bought and rebuilt by CEFX for lease

And they ended up on almost solely CSX. All but one picture I have of a CEFX 3100 unit is on CSX. The other one was on CN paired with a CSX unit as Peter saw.

And they ended up on almost solely CSX. All but one picture I have of a CEFX 3100 unit is on CSX. The other one was on CN paired with a CSX unit as Peter saw.

They still are CSX is just sending them off to other roads for motive powerhours owed.

The only CEFX free runner leasers in its fleet are the ex BNSF and ex UP power, most isnt in the blue paint yet.

They still are CSX is just sending them off to other roads for motive powerhours owed.

The only CEFX free runner leasers in its fleet are the ex BNSF and ex UP power, most isnt in the blue paint yet.

They are not CSX-owned, they are owned by CIT Financial, and leased to CSX, where they are treated as CSX units.

Any CEFX units can be sent whereever the leasing railroad wants.

I have yet to see an ex BNSF CEFX unit. I think you may be referring to FURX or HLCX. They are quite commonly here, paired with US power.

They are not CSX-owned, they are owned by CIT Financial, and leased to CSX, where they are treated as CSX units.

Any CEFX units can be sent whereever the leasing railroad wants.

I have yet to see an ex BNSF CEFX unit. I think you may be referring to FURX or HLCX. They are quite commonly here, paired with US power.

I know they arent CSX, CSX has them on mid to long term lease, and yes there are some ex CEFX BNSF but most are FURX, but I think the rebuilt and repainted them. OPPS BNSF has a few of the blue CEFX SD40-2 as well, also the have some of the AC4400CW, 3 of the SD70M-2 and I think a few of the CIT SD9043MAC's

• 1 month later...

Well, a very nice surprise in Banff today during a trip there with 4 Ontario fans and one other Calgary Fan. #3084 and 3049 with the business class cars just starting off to head west from the Banff Train Station. Enjoy!

3084left.jpg 3084leftr.jpg

3049r.jpg 3049.jpg

Nice to see they found one of the more newly repainted GP38-2's to trail, rather then an older multimark unit that was assigned earlier.

There's a bunch, a few that come to mind are CEFX 7087, 7099 and 7111 (ex BN green weenie SD40-2's) that did time on CN a few months ago.