GOA transit news, info etc

1 hour ago, MCIBUS said:

Regardless drivers are only aloud to work so many hours and must meet Highway Traffic Act regulations on hours worked and how much time off between shifts, that's the law!!

If you've read, they're federally controled (like the STO) because they are interprovincial. The H.T.A is an Ontario law, which DOES NOT apply to OC Transpo in regards to hours. At least that's my interpretation...

No they have to follow the rules like they trucking industry. Your only allowed to drive so many hours in a day and are required to have so many hours rest before your next shift/driving..

During their last strike this issues was brought forward.

On 7/13/2019 at 7:21 PM, Loud-Invero said:

If you've read, they're federally controled (like the STO) because they are interprovincial. The H.T.A is an Ontario law, which DOES NOT apply to OC Transpo in regards to hours. At least that's my interpretation...

You guys have it a little backwards.

HTA applies to OC Transpo when they operate in Ontario.

However the Ontario HTA exempts transit buses that operate within a municipality or within 25km of that municipality from hours of work. Here is the wording for the exemption:

3. (1) Subject to subsection (3), a driver and operator are exempt from this Regulation while the driver is driving a commercial motor vehicle of a type and in the circumstances described in any of the following paragraphs: 

5. A bus that is operated by or on behalf of a municipality as part of the municipality’s public transit service, either within the municipality or within 25 kilometres of the boundary of the municipality. 

So, on the face of that, OC Transpo drivers would be exempt from the hours of work rules in Ontario. As are almost all transit buses.

BUT, because they cross a provincial border, they lose their Ontario exemption and are therefore required to abide by the Federal HOS rules. Federal rules don’t exempt transit buses as far as I am aware.

That is my understanding.

The CBC article is dumb because they aren’t “skirting” any laws. They are following the law as it is set out for 7 day cycles. The drivers are getting 36hr off to reset a cycle, its not like they are working 130hr straight. The reason the 7 day and 14 day cycles exist is to give companies (bus or truck) an option to pick which one works best for their operational needs. OC Transpo found a way to make the 7 day work best for them, its not illegal or “skirting” anything.

And, technically the law only applies to specific drivers who cross the Quebec border. Theoretically if a specific driver only works in Ontario he is legally exempt, so any compliance with HOS rules and cycles is voluntary by OC Transpo.

• Thanks 1

Assuming everything goes as planned and there are no delays, and the Orion VII are retired sometime(I'm assuming) in OCT, any ad wraps on those buses assuming the contact with the ad is still valid(not expired) will need to be transferred either to a Invero or Nova or artic. So it's possible you may see more Invero's in full ad wraps as presently there are several Hybrids in full wraps?

If the client has a Hybrid full wrap ad and that contract for that ad doesn't expire lets say until AUG 2020, then it's up to OC to transfer that AD to another bus.

O-Train Fans goes Behind the Scenes at OC Transpo's operator training centre to explore the Alstom Coradia LINT simulator. Learn about how the O-Train is operated and controlled, the manual train control, as well as some unique and innovative safety and signaling features.

YOUTUBE PREMIERE AT 12pm TODAY.

https://www.otrainfans.ca/behind-the-scenes/behind-the-scenes-alstom-coradia-lint-simulator

Lmao, 2 dumbasses tried boarding the rear and got caught red handed at Mackenzie of the Nova I'm on. Instant Karma. Another 2 caught at Laurier.

I'm guessing they're specifically doing Stings on Nova's because even I noticed people are boarding the rear 

7 minutes ago, romanr27 said:

One thing I find peculiar is how they have POP stickers like the DDs and artics. I've seen people do it too but were confused when there wasn't a Presto reader to tap so they weren't trying to fare-evade.

I'm pretty sure they have "Front door boarding only" stickers.

They are roughly the same colour, but they mean totally different things.

24 minutes ago, romanr27 said:

One thing I find peculiar is how they have POP stickers like the DDs and artics. I've seen people do it too but were confused when there wasn't a Presto reader to tap so they weren't trying to fare-evade.

Nope. All 40ft buses are automatically "Front Boarding Only", otherwise we'd be able to board the rear of a Orion VII with its massive rear door.

55 minutes ago, Loud-Invero said:

Nope. All 40ft buses are automatically "Front Boarding Only", otherwise we'd be able to board the rear of a Orion VII with its massive rear door.

Just to clairify 

The only 40 footer (Short bus) where your allowed to board via the back doors is the 80xx/81xx DD’s which Imho confuses people. Though it should be interesting once the Lrt is up and running , where as Tunney’s,Hurdman,Greenboro & Blair Stations  will have all door boarding as they will be Fare paid stations.

Elsewhere in the Goa area

Not sure if mentioned before , However I noticed on the Transit app that the Sto Red Black (Lansdowne) shuttles are numbered in the 8xx

C1BB8DF8-21F2-4C04-951F-9E955697FF83.thumb.png.fd53123bcde4852e09c0439303300b35.png

CCB86093-39B5-4A23-AC68-01FF741FF4D5.thumb.png.801a4bbb55bd7c527bdfa5e447bb187c.png