GOA transit news, info etc

2 hours ago, OCTranspoMaster said:

STO will be running on a Saturday schedule tomorrow (Friday) and Monday *meaning don't expect to see Classics*

STO on Facebook says: *Original*

[snip!]

Even better, this is from the STO's website:

Easter Bus Schedule

Published : 03-28-2018

60a4083fd8.jpg

The Société de transport de l'Outaouais (STO) would like to let the public know that a modified services will be in effect throughout the network during the Easter holidays. The Saturday schedule will apply on Friday, March 30 (Good Friday) and Monday, April 2 (Easter Monday). The Sunday schedule will be in effect on Easter Sunday, April 1.

When travelling with your family, take advantage of the STO's low cost Family Fare which lets a maximum of four children aged 11 or under travel free when accompanied by an “Adult” or “Senior” with a valid ticket or pass.

For details about the different bus services, visit Plani-Bus on the STO Web site at sto.ca, check the User's Guide or contact Customer Service at 819-770-3242.

Riders are also welcome to phone Infobus for exact arrival times for the next two buses at a given stop. Just call 819-778 followed by the number of the bus stop.

http://www.sto.ca/index.php?id=87&L=en&tx_ttnews[backPid]=2&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=15589&cHash=78b9564959e5e8d28d3c67b7baa49da5

6 minutes ago, MCIBUS said:

Don't see it happening? I bet some time in 2019?

Nobody knows the exact date yet. It could happen in November or later.

25 minutes ago, OC Transpo/STO Fan said:

They don't list a source for where they got that info from.

I don't trust news sites unless OC says it themselves.

They did say it themselves, actually. You can literally just google it and see all the quotes from a month ago when they did their first monthly presentation to city council.

6 minutes ago, Charlie said:

They did say it themselves, actually. You can literally just google it and see all the quotes from a month ago when they did their first monthly presentation to city council.

I just looked it up, and OC did say that. I don't follow the LRT much anyways.

I stand corrected, then.

2 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

When was the street closed to traffic? This is the first I heard of it for this  time around?

It’s been closed to all traffic, between Sussex and Dalhousie, except buses, taxis (not Uber) and LRT construction related traffic for at least the last year, if not longer.

21 minutes ago, MCIBUS said:

Really? I thought it re-open to traffic after the sink hole incident was fixed?

It’s open to Buses, Taxis, construction vehicles and delivery vehicles only (maybe bikes not really sure).5558CCB4-A25B-4550-A7AE-A3F35CACDADF.thumb.png.c8148968d5b7091e25660afbf70946b4.png

Update to the previous discussion about pets: As of today, you can now bring a small pet on the bus. 

There's only one thing I dislike: The fact that you can bring a snake on board. I am terrified of snakes, so not looking forward to that.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/pets-allowed-oc-transpo-1.4600598

I just found this on OC's website. The dollar bill in question can be found below: 

The new $10 bank note featuring Viola Desmond cannot be used to purchase fares at OC Transpo ticket machines at this time. Changes will be made to our systems to allow them to accept the revised $10 bill format in the near future.

49A76C15-C436-4065-8189-584AECF633E1.jpeg

5 hours ago, OC Transpo/STO Fan said:

I just found this on OC's website. The dollar bill in question can be found below: 

The new $10 bank note featuring Viola Desmond cannot be used to purchase fares at OC Transpo ticket machines at this time. Changes will be made to our systems to allow them to accept the revised $10 bill format in the near future.

Also on Octranspo.com 

More Presto sales locations in Ottawa starting in April

You will soon be able to buy and load your Presto card at select Shoppers Drug Mart stores. Presto cards will continue to be sold online, at Customer Service Centres and through Ticket Machines at O-Train stations. We will keep you posted as new sales locations become available.

PRESTO Coming to Shoppers Drug Mart Locations Across the GTHA (MTO press release)

11 hours ago, tomsbuspage said:

I always questioned people who jaywalk across. Knowing there is a crosswalk at MacKenzie King that could be utilized. Especially being the highest volume station on the network too. With so many buses running by, it isn't worth the risk.

7 hours ago, OC Transpo/STO Fan said:

It takes time to create a new software update and apply it to the ticket machines. Not very quick knowing the TTC had similar issues with new bills being issued and the token vending machines not built to accommodate. Which can take a few weeks to create and test before allowing the new bills to be used at ticket vending machines.

2 hours ago, Oc4526 said:

More Presto sales locations in Ottawa starting in April

You will soon be able to buy and load your Presto card at select Shoppers Drug Mart stores. Presto cards will continue to be sold online, at Customer Service Centres and through Ticket Machines at O-Train stations. We will keep you posted as new sales locations become available.

PRESTO Coming to Shoppers Drug Mart Locations Across the GTHA (MTO press release)

Will be very nice knowing a lot of the complaints are the sales centres are limited and far between. Especially when Shoppers Drug Mart has around 50 stores in the City of Ottawa. A pretty good distribution network to sell Presto cards, load value or a monthly pass. 

On 4/2/2018 at 7:02 PM, OC Transpo/STO Fan said:

Update to the previous discussion about pets: As of today, you can now bring a small pet on the bus. 

There's only one thing I dislike: The fact that you can bring a snake on board. I am terrified of snakes, so not looking forward to that.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/pets-allowed-oc-transpo-1.4600598

I don't have an issue with the Pets on buses but I see issues arising from this.

Individuals who have algies with pets?

Pet owners not following the rules?

Someone getting bit/nipped or scratch by the animal even though its in a cage?

On 4/4/2018 at 4:23 PM, MCIBUS said:

I don't have an issue with the Pets on buses but I see issues arising from this.

Individuals who have algies with pets?

Pet owners not following the rules?

Someone getting bit/nipped or scratch by the animal even though its in a cage?

Allergens can come from service animals too, and they have long been allowed on transit vehicles.

The public transit system in Helsinki, Finland permits pets so long as they are leashed or in a container, do not cause an inconvenience to other passengers, and are not in train cars that prohibit pets. A study from there found that less than half a percentage point of passengers travelled with pet(s). It concluded that while dog and cat allergens were present on transit vehicles, and that it caused symptoms in sensitive people, "prohibiting pets would probably bring only a modest reduction in levels, as few pets are carried, and much allergen contamination comes from passengers' clothes."

Closer to home, the Toronto Transit Commission and York Region Transit have permitted non-service, non-exotic pets on board vehicles off-peak and leashed or in a container for at least the last 13 years (when I first started using transit). My own observation, although very focused in certain parts of each system's network, is that the rate of passengers boarding transit vehicles is very low, and that owners are aware of the rules surrounding them.

Also, pets are more than likely to attack only if provoked.

STO confirms remaining Classics will be off the road by summer 2019. Units 9108, 9117, 9204, 9216, 9403, 9419, and 9421 have been retired after their last spotting, leaving only all Ex-Calgary (9131 - 9138, 9224 - 9225) and 9512 and 9519 remaining. STO also confirmed that 7901 only runs in the summer on "small routes"

Screenshot_20180406-115721.png

• Thanks 1