GOA transit news, info etc

1 hour ago, Enviro_1203 said:

6709 suffered a very minor engine fire at Blair Station this evening around 17:30.

Ouch. Hopefully it will be restored and back into revenue service very soon.

Knowing that it is also the last bus out of the D60LFR fleet (6404 to 6709) to be delivered and in revenue service. Didn't think it would happen with an articulated bus knowing the last few cases were Inveros because of their age. But, it can happen to any bus. 

11 minutes ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Ouch. Hopefully it will be restored and back into revenue service very soon.

Knowing that it is also the last bus out of the D60LFR fleet (6404 to 6709) to be delivered and in revenue service. Didn't think it would happen with an articulated bus knowing the last few cases were Inveros because of their age. But, it can happen to any bus. 

6500 had one a few years back. 

Forgot to post this earlier:

St. Laurent between Innes/Industrial to Smyth will be using bus only lanes to improve travel times for routes 40 (old 114) and 106.

Maybe a very small stretch, but was also part of the road widening. Knowing north of Innes/Industrial isn't possible without significant cost having to renovate two bridges in the process and tight space. 

Screen Shot 2017-10-23 at 11.54.33 PM.png

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

St. Laurent between Innes/Industrial to Smyth will be using bus only lanes to improve travel times for routes 40 (old 114) and 106.

Maybe a very small stretch, but was also part of the road widening. Knowing north of Innes/Industrial isn't possible without significant cost having to renovate two bridges in the process and tight space. 

Screen Shot 2017-10-23 at 11.54.33 PM.png

Strictly speaking, the overpass north of Innes is no longer necessary as that part of the former CN Alexandria Sub/NYC Ottawa Division was abandoned and torn up years ago, and part of OC Transpo's Industrial garage was built on the right of way.  Having said that, I agree that it would be very expensive to demolish the overpass and replace it with the road built at-grade.

On ‎24‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:11 AM, tomsbuspage said:

Strictly speaking, the overpass north of Innes is no longer necessary as that part of the former CN Alexandria Sub/NYC Ottawa Division was abandoned and torn up years ago, and part of OC Transpo's Industrial garage was built on the right of way.  Having said that, I agree that it would be very expensive to demolish the overpass and replace it with the road built at-grade.

VIA rail uses it to go from Ottawa <-> Montreal

If your talking about the overpass just past ST LAURANT/Innes?industrail yes indeed VIA railstill uses it. I do know at one poimt the track split with one liner going by Industrial garage and the other going past ST Laurent bus complexes/Maintance yard and the new LERT maintenance yards?

The one thing I find so funny is from ST Laurant all the way to Trembly road OC owns the land EXCEPT!! for the Pepsi Garage which basically just holds the trucks, Not sure why the City/OC never bought them out or tried to expropriate the land?

2 hours ago, CyrusKafaiWu said:

VIA rail uses it to go from Ottawa <-> Montreal

1 hour ago, MCIBUS said:

If your talking about the overpass just past ST LAURANT/Innes?industrail yes indeed VIA railstill uses it. I do know at one poimt the track split with one liner going by Industrial garage and the other going past ST Laurent bus complexes/Maintance yard and the new LERT maintenance yards?

You're thinking about the former CP M & O Sub, which runs between Tremblay and Belfast and on which VIA run their trains to Montreal.  The part of the Alexandria Sub west of the Hawthorne Connection ran between Belfast and Industrial and was abandoned in 2002.  There are maps available on Colin Churcher's Railway Pages (http://churcher.crcml.org/circle/ottawamaps.htm).

You'll probably notice that I tend to use pre-1960s designations when I refer to the various railway lines in and around the city.  That's just a preference of mine and I'm not deliberately trying to confuse the board members here. B)

I don't know anything about the rail lines(ownership) or what their called, I just see them as rail lines and not sure who owns what except for where the O-Train runs on that the city owns although I'm not sure who they get to maintain it though? I don't think it OC though?

All I know about the tracks in the Ottawa area is that all the signals & switching is done out of Montreal as someone told me that years ago, while thats true or not only going by what he tolld me.

17 hours ago, Charlie said:

In case you missed it, the fare gates at the OTrain stations will be powered up in a week or so. 

http://www.octranspo.com/tickets-and-passes/customer_testing_of_new_fare_gates_and_ticket_machines

Official memo from OC Transpo's General Manager to City Council and the Transit Commission posted on Ken Gray's web site: http://bulldogottawa.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Memo-to-Council-OC-Transpo-Fare-Gate-Start-Up-and-Customer-Testing_EN.pdf

Delegated Authority of Contract Awards posted on the City's web site for the upcoming Transit Commission meeting: http://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/mtgviewer.aspx?meetid=7224&doctype=agenda&itemid=366373 - follow the link that says " Doc 1 - DA - Transit Contracts Awarded 1 Jan-30 Jun 2017.pdf" for the actual document. 

Few line items of interest:

• Line 48: Refurbishment of five buses (most likely Inveros, not specified in the document)
  • Line 53: Repairs to Bus 6446
  • Line 55: Rebuild of Bus 4401
  • Line 58: Rebuild of Bus 4241
  • Lines 61 and 62: Supply and deliver of particulate filters to Bus 6404 (the document refers to 6404 as an Invero when it's actually a D60LFR)
  • Line 63: Refurbishment of five buses
  • Line 66: Repair and paint of Bus 8006
  • Line 67: Rebuild of Bus 4264
  • Line 76: Another similar item pertaining to Bus 6404
  • Line 78: Rebuild of Bus 4292
  • Line 81: Rebuild of Bus 4226
  • Line 89: Rebuild of Bus 4412
  • Line 90: Rebuild of Bus 4343

On 2017-10-25 at 5:13 PM, Charlie said:

In case you missed it, the fare gates at the OTrain stations will be powered up in a week or so. 

http://www.octranspo.com/tickets-and-passes/customer_testing_of_new_fare_gates_and_ticket_machines

I tried one of the new fare machines at Carling this afternoon. 

2 things that I noticed.

1.The machines were only accepting Cash as Debit & Credit was down (the staff said this should be fixed within 24hrs) 

2. The Minimum load for a E-Purse is $5 (still $10 at a service centre) 

The UX seems to be pretty straight forward and the receipts are printed on a cardboard like ticket stock. 

• Like 1

Name The O-Trains Contest

Here a letter sent to city employees from the Mayor about name the O-Train cars

Dear colleagues,

As we continue to get for Ready for Rail in 2018, I am pleased to officially launch a special contest that engages children and youth aged 16 and under to celebrate the future of transit in Ottawa. It’s the Name the Trains Contest.

This contest provides the next generation of transit users with a unique opportunity to see their suggested names continue down the rail lines – the O-Train Confederation Line and O-Train Trillium Line – for many years to come.

I encourage you to get your children, nieces, nephews or grandchildren involved in playing a part in naming the train cars that will be a part of the biggest infrastructure project in Ottawa’s history, since the days of Colonel By and the building of the Rideau Canal.

The entry form, along with more contest details – including rules, regulations and guidelines – are available at octranspo.com/ready4rail. Each participant can submit as many name suggestions as they wish, but he or she can only win once. However, before submitting, they must first get permission from a parent or guardian.

Here are some helpful guidelines when choosing a name:
It should be short (maximum of 16 characters, spaces included)
It should be related to trains (or train service) or have a Canadian or Ottawa-related significance
It must fit into one or more of the following five categories:
1.    People
2.    Animals
3.    Natural world
4.    Culture
5.    History
Names should be bilingual or easily translatable (English & French)
Names should be friendly, have a pleasant sound and be easy to remember
Must not be negative, vulgar, offensive, racist, exclusionary or threatening in any nature

A total of 40 train cars will be named as part of the Name the Trains Contest – consisting of 34 O-Train Confederation Line train cars and six O-Train Trillium Line train cars.  The contest deadline is December 8, 2017, and a selection panel will review the name submissions. Winners will be announced in 2018.

Please visit octranspo.com/ready4rail for more information.

I am looking forward to seeing the successful names from our creative children and youth as we get Ready for Rail in 2018.

Jim Watson
Mayor
City of Ottawa

And here's the OC lonk

http://www.octranspo.com/ready4rail/contest

And You Tube Vid

• Like 1

On 10/19/2017 at 11:08 PM, Enviro_1203 said:

6709 suffered a very minor engine fire at Blair Station this evening around 17:30.

It's back in service I saw it on the 88 today.

Transit Commission receives information outlining the implementation timelines for the half-price EquiFare for low-income residents and recognizes six OC Transpo Transecure monthly recipients

November 8, 2017
Council Updates

The Transit Commission today received a report outlining the implementation timelines for the EquiPass Single-Ride Fare Program, known as EquiFare.

The purpose of this report is to respond to Councillor Blais’ motion, approved at the July 12, 2017 City Council meeting. Staff were directed to undertake the work required to recognize a single-ride fare option as part of the EquiPass program as soon as technically feasible in 2018 and once approved by Council as part of the 2018 Budget process. Councillor Blais’ motion also directed staff to provide the report as part of the Transit Commission’s consideration of Draft Bugdet 2018.

Should Council approve the EquiFare as part of the 2018 Budget, staff estimate that the new fare would be available to eligible customers before the end of June 2018.

The proposed EquiFare would provide eligible low-income residents with improved access to affordable transit and greater choice, allowing them to pay-per-ride or purchase a monthly pass. Eligible EquiFare transit users would receive the same 50 per cent discount as EquiPass customers. In the case of the EquiFare, the single ride would cost $1.75, compared to the 2018 regular fare of $3.45 per ride.

The proposed EquiFare helps create an even more affordable and inclusive City for residents who may be seeking employment, single parents, newcomers to Canada settling in Ottawa, and residents living on low-income wages.

By offering the proposed EquiFare, the City is helping those who would otherwise not be able to afford to get around the city, either to maintain or find meaningful employment, or to access healthcare, grocery stores, recreation and other services.

The Transit Commission also recognized six OC Transpo employees who exemplified the values of the Transecure program during the months of April, May, June, July, and August by demonstrating compassion and concern for individuals in need.

Transecure is a community watch program on wheels. OC Transpo employees are the eyes and ears of our community, looking out for the safety of all people and offering a safe haven in any OC Transpo vehicle for anyone who needs it. More information on OC Transpo’s Transecure program can be found on octranspo.com(link is external).

For more information on City programs and services, visit ottawa.ca or call 3-1-1 (TTY: 613-580-2401). You can also connect with us through Facebook(link is external), Twitter(link is external) and Instagram(link is external).

https://ottawa.ca/en/news/transit-commission-receives-information-outlining-implementation-timelines-half-price-equifare-low-income-residents-and-recognizes-six-oc-transpo-transecure-monthly-recipients

• 2 weeks later...

A long time ago, but they're still only using that look for the Ready4Rail stuff.

Oh yeah, and it's nice to see them improving the already stellar reliability of Kanata locals like route 168 by extending them and making them service more areas!

27 minutes ago, HB_1024 said:

A long time ago, but they're still only using that look for the Ready4Rail stuff.

Oh yeah, and it's nice to see them improving the already stellar reliability of Kanata locals like route 168 by extending them and making them service more areas!

Ah. thanks for the clarification. The last time I checked yesterday, it was still the old look, so the first time I saw that, I was confused.

9 hours ago, OCCheetos said:

http://www.octranspo.com/ready4rail/new_winter_service_starts_on_dec_24

Winter Service changes have been posted. 

Quite the list!

I don’t really agree with OC Transpo to rename Confederation Station to Mooney’s Bay Station since google maps says it is a 20 minute walk to the beach from the station. I would have thought they would have renamed it Brookfield (after the nearby high school, not the siding) or Heron (even if they aren’t connected it’s still just a very short walk) or even Confederation Heights. 

-Charlie