MiWay

Orion VIII

I am new to the board but have been an avid follower, my children are users of public transit my children have a complaint can someone shed some light. For 2 years they have been taking public transit as students enrolled in a regional programs. Their transportation to school in the past 2 years has improved a little with the introduction of the express route 109 in the morning and afternoon; it will continue getting better when the Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) opens. What they have noticed is that the 109 bus does not run every 22 minutes as stated on the Miway website at its inception. I find it very interesting that in the afternoon when students are on their way home they are waiting for the 109 bus for over 30 minutes. Is this a ploy to drive students into the mall to kill time and spend money. There are a number of transit school route buses arriving at Square One just after the 109 at 3:09 pm has left the terminal leaving a 30 minute time lag till the next bus. If they had a 109 bus every 22 minutes as stated at inception there would be less wait time and happier customers.

Great new regarding the long over due opening, it going to happen.........................wait for it...........................September, not the plan March date or a May date to allow the top coat to be added to the transitway.

The city is to get ownership of Phase I in Aug due to legal issues with the contractor. Once the city gains control of the transitway, MT will start training drivers on it for the September board change.

The new westbound platform at Sq One will have a layover bay and shelter with the shelter going up against Chapters that will be service by 100, 109 & 20.

The problem for this platform, it is in the direct path of the LRT that will run along the north side of Rathburn. The LRT platform is to the east of Station Gates.

May board change will see a reduction of service to Port Credit to every 15 minutes south of the Queenways. 19A & B will terminate at the Hospital and force route 4 out onto the road.

To off set some of this extra time, 103 headway will be reduce to every 10 minutes.

Have no problem with 19B being short turn as plan as there not much traffic south of Queensway outside of school peak time. Have to wait and see about 19A

The 19's will run every 5 minutes.

​IBI is to undertake a 5 year service improvement and will starting interviewing riders shortly.

As for the 109, headway are supposed to fall once they start using the Transitway to 15-20 depending on the time of the day.

As pointed out, to have happy customers, you need better headway than we have today and that cost money and more driver. Until council start giving transit 5-7% yearly increases in place of the current 3%, never going to get ahead of the curve in providing transit that people will use in place of their car.

The new westbound platform at Sq One will have a layover bay and shelter with the shelter going up against Chapters that will be service by 100, 109 & 20.

The problem for this platform, it is in the direct path of the LRT that will run along the north side of Rathburn. The LRT platform is to the east of Station Gates.

I went to the LRT Pic3 yesterday and was asking about pedestrian traffic between GO, BRT LRT and CCTT at Station Gate and Rathburn. It seems to me no thought has been made to coordinate the different projects. The new GO terminal is not even showing on the plans. It looks to me that the westbound platform will have the LRT tracks between it and Chapters.

It seems to me no thought has been made to coordinate the different projects.

This would be under the responsibility of Metrolinx. This doesnt really surprise me though seeing as they've had trouble co-ordinating with virtually every transit agency to date.

No fire suppression units on Mississauga buses. This one that just caught fire was 0303, the unit that caught fire in Port Credit a few months ago was 0305.

Also, 0152 was on the 26 yesterday evening. It left Islington for South Common shortly after 6PM.

0152 is on the 401 right now on the route 70, it'll go onto the 20 at Islington, do a single trip to Erindale GO and then back onto the 70 at Matheson/Hurontario at 5:18PM. Its MTO stickers expire in exactly a month, so the time has almost come for this one. 0154's stickers expired today, so it's officially retired barring some sort of miracle.

I went to the LRT Pic3 yesterday and was asking about pedestrian traffic between GO, BRT LRT and CCTT at Station Gate and Rathburn. It seems to me no thought has been made to coordinate the different projects. The new GO terminal is not even showing on the plans. It looks to me that the westbound platform will have the LRT tracks between it and Chapters.

For those of you who couldn't make it to either PIC, the material is now available on the project website.

I was somewhat surprised at some of the revisions that have been made to the project like the termination at the Port Credit GO station, staying on Hurontario over the 403 and running along Duke of York instead of Living Arts. Some of the more subtle changes like calling the "Main Street" stop "Burnhamthorpe" seemed appropriate. Despite what Mississauga is trying to do with creating a downtown environment for itself, Main would probably caused some confusion in Brampton. It is the only stop on Burnhamthorpe itself. Plus, that Main Street will probably be no longer than the one that already exists in Streetsville. For something that short that's supposed to be important, give it a better name!

The 19's will run every 5 minutes.

Frequency of the 19 come May is as follows:

Weekday Peak - 19, 19A, 19B

19 - 12 minutes

19A - 24 minutes

19B - 24 minutes

Combined frequency on common portion of route (Queensway to Britannia) - 6 minutes

Order of branches are 19/19A/19/19B/19

Weekday Midday - 19, 19A, 19B

19 - 16 minutes

19A - 32 Minutes

19B - 32 Minutes

Combined frequency on common portion of route (Queensway to Britannia) - 8 minutes

Order of branches are 19/19A/19/19B/19

Saturday Daytime - 19, 19C

19 - 16 minutes

19C - 16 minutes

Combined frequency on common portion of route (Queensway to Britannia) - 8 minutes

Order of brances are 19/19C/19/19C

No more 19A service on Saturdays.

103 improving to every 10 minutes midday as mentioned by Drum. Saturday service remains unchanged.

No changes to Sunday service on the 19.

Frequency of the 19 come May is as follows:

No more 19A service on Saturdays.

103 improving to every 10 minutes midday as mentioned by Drum. Saturday service remains unchanged.

No changes to Sunday service on the 19.

Here's the source for anyone interested in the rest of the changes. One thing that isn't mentioned in the next Service Change (which is taking place May 5, instead of the usual late-May) is the closure of Main St. in Streetsville which will affect the AM run of the 305 STREETSVILLE SS-FALCONER. The section between Queen/Mississauga Rd. and Church St. will be closed starting next week, running into early July (after Canada Day).

If anyone's noticed, MiWay finally got their Twitter account going @MiWayHelps. It feels very bureaucratic with Operating Hours and references to other sources. Very little information itself is available. There is even the disclaimer: "Note: This account will not handle service alerts." which some have tweeted their displeasure over. It's interesting reading some of the questions that get sent in.

Here's the source for anyone interested in the rest of the changes. ...

The May 2014 Service Change brochure is online too: http://www7.mississa...SIT_May2014.pdf

Funny that the details between both releases isn't quite the same. The first goes into the details that are only referred to in the second one. Meanwhile the MiTransit brochure (second one) says there are bus stop changes on the 38 CREDITVIEW that aren't mentioned in the detailed Accessible Service Changes (first one).

With all of the overhauling on the Hurontario corridor is there an appetite for an express route between City Centre and Port Credit GO, either as a 103A or 102 (mirroring Züm's 502 and the old MT 2 HURONTARIO)?

The May System Maps are also available, although there aren't any Sunday/Holiday changes they released one anyway. The express stops are labelled but not shown with the orange dots again. One other thing, with the detour on Eglinton between Eastgate and Tahoe running "until further notice" shouldn't they just have shown the routes operating on the detour? It's been operating since last June and will probably remain so until some time in late 2015-2016.

Weekday Map

Express Map

Saturday Map

Sunday/Holiday Map

I have one observation from my regular trip on the 87. I'm not complaining, but a new driver on the route leaves Skymark up to 5 minutes early and skips the Tahoe detour. It means I get home about 10 minutes sooner. However, I do feel bad for anyone who's trying to connect from the scheduled 109 or waiting at any of the detour stops. My main beef is that the 87 runs roughly every 20 minutes, but there is sometimes up to a 15 minute wait at Aukland for either a 35 or 109 to get to Skymark. Factor in the travel time and it's a missed 87.

Finally, for those who don't visit the Mississauga Transit Sightings thread, here are two pics from Tuesday where the 0101 was spotted on Yonge St. in partial NYC MTA livery for a film/TV shoot at Dundas Square pretending to be Times Square.

Toronto-20140401-00568.jpg Toronto-20140401-00569.jpg

Upon reading the wiki, I've noticed someone say the 14 MiExpress buses are expansion buses. Isn't it peculiar that: 1) MiWay is doing 12 year retirement for buses before the 2003s, 2) 10 Artics and 14 40ft were purchased in 2001 3) 2001+12=2013 and 2013 had exactly 10 artics and 14 40ft delivered. Are the 14 MiExpress not replacement for the VIIs?

Upon reading the wiki, I've noticed someone say the 14 MiExpress buses are expansion buses. Isn't it peculiar that: 1) MiWay is doing 12 year retirement for buses before the 2003s, 2) 10 Artics and 14 40ft were purchased in 2001 3) 2001+12=2013 and 2013 had exactly 10 artics and 14 40ft delivered. Are the 14 MiExpress not replacement for the VIIs?

When council approved the order for the 2013 buses, it was understood at the time that the 14 MiExpress buses would be replacements for the 2001/02 VIIs. However the 2001/02 VIIs were retired ahead of their scheduled retirement (most in late 2012). The 2012 MiExpress Orion VIIs were purchased as expansion buses but on paper it probably allowed them to get rid of the 2001/02 VIIs earlier (because there was a shift to more express service). Not to mention there were probably various issues with the 2001/02 VIIs that they determined not worth fixing.

When council approved the order for the 2013 buses, it was understood at the time that the 14 MiExpress buses would be replacements for the 2001/02 VIIs. However the 2001/02 VIIs were retired ahead of their scheduled retirement (most in late 2012). The 2012 MiExpress Orion VIIs were purchased as expansion buses but on paper it probably allowed them to get rid of the 2001/02 VIIs earlier (because there was a shift to more express service). Not to mention there were probably various issues with the 2001/02 VIIs that they determined not worth fixing.

Ah ok, so the two batches' purpose were swapped. :)

Interesting discussion on the @MiWayHelps Twitter account:

Nofa@2012_noah Apr 4

@MiWayHelps why isn't there bus shelters on rathburn road and Wakefield crescent??

gNxIhWiD_bigger.pngMiWayHelps@MiWayHelps 24h

@2012_noah Your location will be reviewed. It requires a minimum of 30 patrons boarding per day, plus sufficient City owned land. ~VH

Didn't know that 30 passengers/patrons was the magic number for a shelter. Is this an average or a daily minimum?

In some unfortunate news MiExpress 1306 was involved in a fatal accident when a pedestrian was struck last night at Rathburn and Duke of York. I assume based on the timing and location of the bus it was one of the last runs of the 109 MEADOWVALE EXPRESS.

image.jpg

In some unfortunate news MiExpress 1306 was involved in a fatal accident when a pedestrian was struck last night at Rathburn and Duke of York. I assume based on the timing and location of the bus it was one of the last runs of the 109 MEADOWVALE EXPRESS.

Aw, that's really sad. I really feel bad for him and his family.

Interesting discussion on the @MiWayHelps Twitter account:

Didn't know that 30 passengers/patrons was the magic number for a shelter. Is this an average or a daily minimum?

Then how come at Derry and Tenth Line The West bound stop has a shelter, but the eastbound doesn't? Does the Eastbound stop have less passengers?

Aw, that's really sad. I really feel bad for him and his family.

My younger brother told me that there was an announcement about this particular incident earlier this afternoon when he was in school. When I found out that it was the former chaplain, I just broke down and my face is still in shock as of this moment.

He was a really nice guy, serving all of students, staff, and teahcers at Philip Pocock.

My personal condolences to his family. They were really blessed to have a guy like him.

My younger brother told me that there was an announcement about this particular incident earlier this afternoon when he was in school. When I found out that it was the former chaplain, I just broke down and my face is still in shock as of this moment.

He was a really nice guy, serving all of students, staff, and teahcers at Philip Pocock.

My personal condolences to his family. They were really blessed to have a guy like him.

I feel bad for you too. Didn't know it was the former chaplain of Phillip Pocock.

Then how come at Derry and Tenth Line The West bound stop has a shelter, but the eastbound doesn't? Does the Eastbound stop have less passengers?

Based on the Tweet, there are two conditions that need to be met:

1. 30 Patron boardings per day
  2. Sufficient City-owned land

I'm going to assume you meant eastbound and westbound Derry and not the direction of the 39 and 90, which due to their routing mean both east- and westbound trips are served at both stops! (I know there's an odd layout of a pair of interstates that does this as well, East I-#1 and West I-#2 both running in the same direction.)

I'm not all that familiar with the intersection in question, but from Google Streetview it looks like there's plenty of room to add a shelter (even though the stop itself isn't identified on their map!). The only reason I can think of for there not being a shelter eastbound on Derry is that the 90 TERRAGAR(-COPENHAGEN) LOOP and previously 45A WINSTON CHURCHILL did a decent job of intercepting passengers heading to Meadowvale Town Centre. I guess there isn't that much patronage from either south of the stop or from people returning from the plaza. Perhaps people would rather ride around the Terragar loop than wait for it to return to Britannia?

Based on the Tweet, there are two conditions that need to be met:

1. 30 Patron boardings per day
  2. Sufficient City-owned land

I'm going to assume you meant eastbound and westbound Derry and not the direction of the 39 and 90, which due to their routing mean both east- and westbound trips are served at both stops! (I know there's an odd layout of a pair of interstates that does this as well, East I-#1 and West I-#2 both running in the same direction.)

I'm not all that familiar with the intersection in question, but from Google Streetview it looks like there's plenty of room to add a shelter (even though the stop itself isn't identified on their map!). The only reason I can think of for there not being a shelter eastbound on Derry is that the 90 TERRAGAR(-COPENHAGEN) LOOP and previously 45A WINSTON CHURCHILL did a decent job of intercepting passengers heading to Meadowvale Town Centre. I guess there isn't that much patronage from either south of the stop or from people returning from the plaza. Perhaps people would rather ride around the Terragar loop than wait for it to return to Britannia?

OK, thanks for the info. :)

But I thought 45A Winston Churchill - Speakman didn't go to this stop. I thought only the regular 45 Winston Churchill did.

And I checked Google Streetsview. The stop is shown. I think it's just that the Eastbound stop is East of Tenth Line instead of West of Tenth Line.

And I have to admit this, when I checked Google Streetsview, I saw there wasn't a shelter for Westbound either. Sorry if I wasted your time there Gil. I know you work hard on your posts, so I really apologize.