BC Ferries

A. Wong

I recently read an article in The Province news paper in Vancouver indicating that the Queen of Vancouver, Queen of Sannich, and Queen of Prince Rupert were being put up for sale. While it doesn't hurt my feelings any to see Queen of Prince Rupert put out to pasture I have to strongly disagree with the decision to sell The Vancouver and Sannich. These days having at least one spare ship available would be a huge asset to the fleet. during the Summer the entire fleet is sailing. So if one ship breaks down, there are no spares to cover the shift. Why would you sell two perfectly good ships without having a spare available?

• 4 weeks later...
We were on the Spirit of Vancouver. Very Nice Boat. I absolutely loved the water. Now if the Buffet Room were licensed...

LOL, it seems that most of the restaurants recommended by Asians like me are not licensed - drink water, it's good for your health! =)

Dave

• 2 months later...
105_0536.JPG105_0552.JPG105_0553.JPG105_0542.JPG

Here's some pics you might enjoy. 3 BC ferries and 1 US ferry I believe it was called the Koho .All from our trip to Victoria in 2003.

I've been researching, and yes, the fourth pic you took shows the ex-"COHO" (it is written like this). Take a look over this M/V COHO profile.

M/V COHO was launched in 1959 for Black Ball Transport. The ship's design was inspiration for the first two ferryboats for BC Ferries, QUEEN OF SIDNEY (now retired) and QUEEN OF TSAWWASSEN (used as substitute for QUEEN OF NANAIMO or the QUEEN OF BURNABY, when they're out of service). It currently operates between downtown Victoria and Port Angeles (Washington) (95 min. voyage).

bbt_coho1.jpg

bbt_cohoP.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone remembers or knows this situation?

01.jpg

Can't remember the name of the ferry off hand; however this occured at Horseshoe Bay while the ferry was approaching the berth. Ferry lost power, was unable to use astern propulsion (go into reverse) and glided into the docked boats at a marina just south of the ferry terminal. Minimal injuries at the time; and it was quite a length of time before the passengers were removed from the ferry. It literally was hours before the passengers were disembarked. Not the first time this had happened. Less damage and injuries going into the marina than if the ferry had actually struck its berth and damaged the ferry and the ferry terminal infrastructure even more.

Follow-up:

This incident involved the "Queen of Oak Bay" on June 30th, 2005. There were no casualties but significant damage was done to 28 pleasure craft berthed at Sewell's Marina. A linkage pin and bolt separated on an engine resulting in overspeeding of the engine. Since both engines were coupled together for docking purposes when the first engine began to overspeed it shut down as designed; also causing the second engine to shut down; resulting in, as stated, loss of propulsion and reduction in steerage capability. Policies and procedures were modified after the incident.

For those who may not know the location of Horseshoe Bay it is outside of North Vancouver, British Columbia.

Can't remember the name of the ferry off hand; however this occured at Horseshoe Bay while the ferry was approaching the berth. Ferry lost power, was unable to use astern propulsion (go into reverse) and glided into the docked boats at a marina just south of the ferry terminal. Minimal injuries at the time; and it was quite a length of time before the passengers were removed from the ferry. It literally was hours before the passengers were disembarked. Not the first time this had happened. Less damage and injuries going into the marina than if the ferry had actually struck its berth and damaged the ferry and the ferry terminal infrastructure even more.

Follow-up:

This incident involved the "Queen of Oak Bay" on June 30th, 2005. There were no casualties but significant damage was done to 28 pleasure craft berthed at Sewell's Marina. A linkage pin and bolt separated on an engine resulting in overspeeding of the engine. Since both engines were coupled together for docking purposes when the first engine began to overspeed it shut down as designed; also causing the second engine to shut down; resulting in, as stated, loss of propulsion and reduction in steerage capability. Policies and procedures were modified after the incident.

For those who may not know the location of Horseshoe Bay it is outside of North Vancouver, British Columbia.

As I read before, and despite there were no casualties, this is BC Ferries' most famous incident! Video here:

At the beginning, you can even notice "cracks": it's the pleasure boats being smashed up by the ship's massive weight!

• 2 months later...

Oh do I ever remember that day. I was a dispatcher for Charter Bus Lines of British Columbia that day and we had two buses waiting at the terminal to board the Queen of Oak Bay for the scheduled 10:30am departure to Departure Bay in Nanaimo (That would've been her next trip that day). I took a call from the first driver, who told me that they were off to Tsawwassen before the crowd arrived there. They didn't allow any service into or out of Horseshoe Bay on any route during the time that elapsed from the grounding and their finally disembarking the passengers on that ship.

As you mentioned, this was not the first time that this has happened. I'll have to do some research but I do remember reading about the Queen of Coquitlam having a similar loss of power in the mid 90's. Only when she lost power she ended up ramming the Horseshoe Bay Terminal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Don't expect our Coastals out on the water too much - the Inspiration is currently in the drydock with the Renaissance in service on Tsawwassen-Duke Point. The Celebration is currently working Fridays and Sundays with the Queen of New Westminster on Tsawwassen-Swartz Bay.

The Northern Expedition is working up north right now, with the Northern Adventure in for annual maintenance. Both will be working this summer, with the Queen of Chilliwack on Discovery Coast.

• 1 month later...

Just got back from a trip over to Victoria, here's some pics:

DSC03502.JPG Queen of Alberni, Queen of Nanaimo and Queen of New Westminster docked at Tsawwassen.

DSC03661.JPG Queen of New Westminster in Active Pass

DSC03674.JPG Spirit of Vancouver Island near Tsawwassen

All pictures were taken from the sun deck of the Coastal Celebration