BC Ferries

We were on Coastal Celebration on the ride to Vancouver Island. Very nice. Pics later.

As promised. Pics include Coastal Celebration arriving at the dock, and smiling friends on the deck trying not to look frozen. Good stiff breeze out in the afternoon. The evening journey (on a different ferry) was calm and warm even.

ferry.JPGlifebuoy.JPGonferry.JPG

We were on Coastal Celebration on the ride to Vancouver Island. Very nice. Pics later.

As promised. Pics include Coastal Celebration arriving at the dock, and smiling friends on the deck trying not to look frozen. Good stiff breeze out in the afternoon. The evening journey (on a different ferry) was calm and warm even.

ferry.JPGlifebuoy.JPGonferry.JPG

When was that, weather looks similar to when I went, main reason I ask is because we haven't had many sunny days like that this month ;)

When was that, weather looks similar to when I went, main reason I ask is because we haven't had many sunny days like that this month.

That was on Wed. June 16th. We were in Vancouver June 13-19. It was very sunny all week except for maybe half an hour of rain on Monday night (14th). There were some mornings that started off overcast but by noon the sun was out. I ended up getting a very good tan in Vancouver for some strange reason (just like last year). ;)

That was on Wed. June 16th. We were in Vancouver June 13-19. It was very sunny all week except for maybe half an hour of rain on Monday night (14th). There were some mornings that started off overcast but by noon the sun was out. I ended up getting a very good tan in Vancouver for some strange reason (just like last year). :P

Ah, I was in Victoria for just one night between June 10th and 11th, it was fairly sunny but I was there exactly 1 year before and it as way nicer, almost everyone on board the ferry had crowded out onto the sun decks. Also yeah, so far we haven't had many nice mornings... not that I'm awake early enough to tell most of the time :P

• 1 month later...

Queen of Nanaimo lost power due to a mechanical failure earlier this week, slamming into the docks on Mayne Island. She was supposed to be out of service at least until yesterday. Anyone know if she's returned to service yet?

• 3 weeks later...

On my way back to Vancouver (I have some shots from the ferry trip too, not the purpose of this post though) I stopped in Port Alberni for lunch, just for the heck of it I decided to check to see if the Queen of Esquimalt was still tied up in the harbour, sure enough she's still there, looking good considering how long she's been sitting unused for.

Anyone know where the name "Princess Jaqualine" came from? I know she's had that name for a while.

987a4082c0a778ab0e56cf8451ad50886g.jpg

And here's a stereo-3D image thing, just cross your eyes and keep your head steady and you're there... kind of, mostly just an experiment

00aa407e52992a519b8295e686febfab6g.jpg

On my way back to Vancouver (I have some shots from the ferry trip too, not the purpose of this post though) I stopped in Port Alberni for lunch, just for the heck of it I decided to check to see if the Queen of Esquimalt was still tied up in the harbour, sure enough she's still there, looking good considering how long she's been sitting unused for.

Anyone know where the name "Princess Jaqualine" came from? I know she's had that name for a while.

987a4082c0a778ab0e56cf8451ad50886g.jpg

And here's a stereo-3D image thing, just cross your eyes and keep your head steady and you're there... kind of, mostly just an experiment

00aa407e52992a519b8295e686febfab6g.jpg

I know it's been at least a copule of years. She was retired when Coastal Rennaisance entered revenue service. Interesting name on her now though. I wonder if St' John's Fishing Lodge is planning to convert her like they did the Queen of the Islands.

The Queen of Esquimalt was purchased from BC Ferries by Dalian Golden Sun I/E Co. Ltd of Dalian, China. She was towed from Deas for tie up in Port Alberni on October 26, 2008.

Latest word is DGS has stopped paying moorage for her as of a few months ago. It remains unseen what the current plans are, but it is possible that she could be seized by the port and sold to recoup some costs...

- - - -

Within the last two years, BC Ferries has also sold the 'Tsawwassen, 'Saanich and 'Vancouver. The 'Tsawwassen is owned by Helifor and is used as a logging camp that is currently moored off West Redonda Island. The 'Saanich is owned by BMGH Enterprises Ltd, renamed Owen Belle and is now moored north of Kelsey Bay on Vancouver Island. The 'Vancouver is owned by Coast Marine and is in the process of having its superstructure scrapped to be turned into a barge. She is located at Woodfibre, just across the sound from Squamish.

The QPR is still for sale...

Most recently, I rode the BC Ferry to the Sunshine Coast. IIRC, the Queen of New Westminster was the vessel on that route on the Horseshoe Bay-Langdale route and the Queen of Esquimalt was the vessel on the Langdale-Horseshoe Bay route.

I really like the Horseshoe Bay-Departure Bay route and the Swartz Bay-Tsawwassen route. They are such picturesque routes. I couldn't remember which vessels on the routes I had traveled on, but that's okay.

Recently BC Ferries has put 3 new "Super C" ferries into service on the mainland to Vancouver Island routes. These vessels are called "Coastal Class" and are said to be the largest double ended ferries in the world. There is room for 27 semi-trailers on the main car deck. The Queens of Vancouver,Saanich, and Esquimalt have all been decomishend and retired. The Queen of Tsawwassen was also been retired this year. It has been replaced by an intermediate sized vessel, the Island Sky on the Earls Cove Saltery Bay route. I have attached some photos of these new vessels, & one from the archives of a Maverick coach on the Powell River Queen crossing Jervis Inlet.

022.JPG

Bus_on_Deck_2.JPG

Island_Sky.JPG

718__Jervis_Inlet_1986.jpg

Recently BC Ferries has put 3 new "Super C" ferries into service on the mainland to Vancouver Island routes. These vessels are called "Coastal Class" and are said to be the largest double ended ferries in the world. There is room for 27 semi-trailers on the main car deck. The Queens of Vancouver,Saanich, and Esquimalt have all been decomishend and retired. The Queen of Tsawwassen was also been retired this year. It has been replaced by an intermediate sized vessel, the Island Sky on the Earls Cove Saltery Bay route. I have attached some photos of these new vessels, & one from the archives of a Maverick coach on the Powell River Queen crossing Jervis Inlet.

Oh wow! Beautiful Maverick Coach Lines MCI MC-7 ! Beautiful Photos and thanks for sharing them!

The 'Vancouver is owned by Coast Marine and is in the process of having its superstructure scrapped to be turned into a barge.

Awww, she was my favorite ferry :(

First ferry trip I remember was on the Queen of Vancouver.

I hope someone saves her horn, she had the best sounding one in the fleet.

For those of you who weren't fortunate enough to hear it in person, here's the best recordings I could find,

- skip to 1:40:

- nice echo on this one:

• 2 months later...

Queen of Surrey had some mechanical issues yesterday. It was announced on AM 730 radio here in Vancouver that because of this mechanical issue she was going to be loosing aproximately 8-10 minutes per sailing until they got the problem fixed. They were hoping to have the problem fixed later yesterday morning.

• 3 months later...

I hope this isn't too off topic, but years and years ago I had a book about BC Ferries that I bought onboard the Queen of Oak Bay going from Horseshoe to Deaprture Bay ... I can't remember what it was called or the author but it had a complete history (for the time period) and fleet (again for the time period) ... I wish I knew what I did with it but I can't find it.

Anyone have any ideas on the title or author?

The Ships of British Columbia, Gary Bannerman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Bannerman)

http://openlibrary.org/books/OL8211000M/Th...ritish_Columbia

Semi-easy to find if you look for awhile. Vernon might not be the best spot, though! Used book stores along the coast tend to have them every once in awhile. There are a few of us ferry nerds stock piling them too, if you're looking for a copy. I am temporarily living in Ontario until June, but after that I could probably get you a spare copy - even to the point I am driving through Vernon around June 15th for work :angry:

The Ships of British Columbia, Gary Bannerman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Bannerman)

Semi-easy to find if you look for awhile. Vernon might not be the best spot, though! Used book stores along the coast tend to have them every once in awhile. There are a few of us ferry nerds stock piling them too, if you're looking for a copy. I am temporarily living in Ontario until June, but after that I could probably get you a spare copy - even to the point I am driving through Vernon around June 15th for work :angry:

The publishing date seems right so that could very well be the one ... we will most definetely have to stay in touch ;)

So I was driving to pick up a charter at the Tsawwassen Ferry terminal. As I drive by the Deas Docks prior to entering the Massey Tunnel I was able to identify three ships in the docks and can say with confidence that there can only be two choices for the fourth ship I saw. Northern Expedition was the first ship I saw with Queen of Chilliwack right beside her. Queen of Prince Rupert was next and one of the two Spirits was the last one I saw. I was going to fast to identify her at the time, but I believe it may have been Spirit of British Columbia.

Semi-easy to find if you look for awhile. Vernon might not be the best spot, though! Used book stores along the coast tend to have them every once in awhile. There are a few of us ferry nerds stock piling them too, if you're looking for a copy. I am temporarily living in Ontario until June, but after that I could probably get you a spare copy - even to the point I am driving through Vernon around June 15th for work :D

Great book still got mine...bought it when it first came out...Love It!!

On my up to Whistler today I was able to see the Queen of Vancouver from Britannia Beach. She's still in one piece by the looks of it, in fact I don't think she's been touched in over a year.

Maybe Coastal Marine changed their minds...lol!

BC Ferries is having all sorts of fun with the weather today. All morning sailings out of Tsawwassen on all routes were cancelled. Horseshoe Bay has not yet had a sailing to Departure Bay and there has been no sailing from either Departure Bay or Duke Point yet today. The Horsehoe Bay to Bowen Island and Horseshoe Bay to Langdale routes seem to be the only ones not impacted in one way or another by the weather today. Queen of Cumberland had one of her sailings from Swartz bay to the Southern Gulf Islands cancelled too. A notice has been posted indicating that service on Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay will resume with the 3:00pm sailings but any further sailings remain weather dependant.