BC Ferries

So?

Haven't you seen half the shots I take are in complete down pour? Put on a coat, wear some boot, attach a lens hood are shoot away.

You know what?? it's not the good weather and without any attractive landscape, so it won't be good for pic as well (Especially ferries and planes shot)~~

You know what?? it's not the good weather and without any attractive landscape, so it won't be good for pic as well (Especially ferries and planes shot)~~

Now that is highly debatable - the meaning of photography is to find the beauty of nature under any given circumstances, and only the skillful photographers are able to achieve such objective :D

Trust me - I work at a photo print-shop and I have seen all kinds of photography techniques, a very simple daily-life object such as a fire-alarm or a hair clip can become something gorgeous, spectacular and truly amazing objects if you know how to mess around with your camera!

Dave

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

David Hahn was interviewed on Global during the Coastal Rennaissance Open House and he indicated that there was a fourth ship being built in Germany and another ship being built on our North Shore. Does Anyone have any idea what these two other ships are about?

She was out for an open house at Canada Place this past Sunday, sadly I didn't know about it and didn't have a chance to see her.

You and me both. I found out about the open house that morning and unfortunately I had already been assigned to drive a Greyhound overload to Whistler. I love the timing of such calls.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. That's some big ass boat. Liquor store, bar, ATM, restaurant. All sorts of things to see and do. I just prefer to 'go outside' and enjoy the ocean breeze. But then, wow.....what a boat !!!! Almost enough to make you forget you're on one, right ? Thanks for the photos.

Wow. That's some big ass boat. Liquor store, bar, ATM, restaurant. All sorts of things to see and do. I just prefer to 'go outside' and enjoy the ocean breeze. But then, wow.....what a boat !!!! Almost enough to make you forget you're on one, right ? Thanks for the photos.

He missed out the vehicle dock shot, but I can see they've made a simple, single dock design and no hatch at the bottom this time if I'm not mistaken.

Sorry I don't have any photos on the vehicle deck itself (I think there's only 1 too) since I was only on it for like 30 seconds going from 1 staircase to another to the engine room. There's a photo of the front of the ferry, photos 54 and 57 in the second album.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry I don't have any photos on the vehicle deck itself (I think there's only 1 too) since I was only on it for like 30 seconds going from 1 staircase to another to the engine room. There's a photo of the front of the ferry, photos 54 and 57 in the second album.

She's got 2 vehicle decks like all the big BCF vessels(ie the Super Ferries, V-Class, C-Class.). One on top of the other. The lower car deck is accessed by a separate ramp off the dock, through the big white doors at either end of the ship.

• 1 month later...
David Hahn was interviewed on Global during the Coastal Rennaissance Open House and he indicated that there was a fourth ship being built in Germany and another ship being built on our North Shore. Does Anyone have any idea what these two other ships are about?

the 4'th one being built in Germany is the Northern Expedition (the official replacement for the Queen of the North). The one being built locally is the Island Sky (should be in service late summer - early fall of this year).

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Would they not use an older spare vessel???

Short answer, BC Ferries didn't have a ship that they could spare.

During the summer all the vessels are being used. The only vessel BC Ferries has that could have filled in is the Coastal Celebration(which is set to replace the Queen of Saanich as the no.2 ship out of Victoria), but I've been told they don't have anyone on the Swartz Bay-Tsawwassen route trained to work on the Coastals. During the summer the two Spirits(Spirit of BC and Spirit of Vancouver Island) plus the Queen of Saanich and the Queen of Vancouver(the 2 back up vessels) are all working. It was a bit of a stupid move on BC Ferries' part to retire the Queen of Esquimalt in May as that was one more vessel they could have used to fill in if need be.

• 2 weeks later...
Short answer, BC Ferries didn't have a ship that they could spare.

During the summer all the vessels are being used. The only vessel BC Ferries has that could have filled in is the Coastal Celebration(which is set to replace the Queen of Saanich as the no.2 ship out of Victoria), but I've been told they don't have anyone on the Swartz Bay-Tsawwassen route trained to work on the Coastals. During the summer the two Spirits(Spirit of BC and Spirit of Vancouver Island) plus the Queen of Saanich and the Queen of Vancouver(the 2 back up vessels) are all working. It was a bit of a stupid move on BC Ferries' part to retire the Queen of Esquimalt in May as that was one more vessel they could have used to fill in if need be.

I definitely can't disagree with that. My question is; What has become on the Queen of New Westminster since the Coastal Inspiration replaced her on the Tsawwassen-Duke Point run?
I definitely can't disagree with that. My question is; What has become on the Queen of New Westminster since the Coastal Inspiration replaced her on the Tsawwassen-Duke Point run?

She's getting a multi-million dollar refit and will replace the Queen of Vancouver as the second Vancouver based ship on the Tsawwassen-Swartz Bay run.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

DSC00044-2.jpg

DSC00053.jpg

DSC00059-2.jpg

BC Ferries' new Northern vessel, the Northern Expedition. Built by Flensburger in Germany it arrived in Canada yesterday (6 Mar 09) at the Departure Bay Ferry Terminal in Nanaimo.