MTA NYCT Subway/Bus discussion

hl7534

The only cars in operation on the C line are the R32s, so you're guaranteed to ride one if you take the C. They operate whenever the C line is operating -- basically, any time except late night. You can also find R32s in occasional operation on the A, but they're not as common.

There are no R32s or R40s on display at the Transit Museum at this point (the newest car is R33WF 9306.) If you come to the museum on a Wednesday or a Thursday this summer, make sure to stop by and say hello to me -- I work there -_-

Thanks for the answers :D The C line sounds like transit fan heaven.

Shame about the R40s and R32s at the museum, but oh well.

BTW, I have one more question. When a train arrives at a terminal, does it go right back along its regular route or does it wait there for a few minutes? I would use the few minutes to take a few exterior shots.

BTW, I have one more question. When a train arrives at a terminal, does it go right back along its regular route or does it wait there for a few minutes? I would use the few minutes to take a few exterior shots.

Most trains wait for a few minutes at virtually every terminal. The only one where trains sometimes leave immediately is Brooklyn Bridge/City Hall on the 6 line, but that's because the trains can't afford to wait too long for fear of delaying service down the line. Some terminals use tail tracks, where trains go out of service and proceed past the station to reverse directions.

I was just in NYC this past week. The C is the place for the R32s and apparently they got the last few sets of R44s (which are set to retire really soon) running on the C because of all the R32s with blown out A/C. I had the misfortune of getting on a couple R32s with no A/C. I first boarded 3488 and it was a furnace inside, so I crossed over into 3694 which too had no A/C, the next car over, 3695 had A/C though at least, but was also crowded as a result.

This past weekend was nice as I was able to ride a R32 running express because of the G/O heading northbound from Canal to Columbus Circle on the C due to track work on the local. Caused a lot of confusion because the northbound C was serving the express platforms.

It's hot as hell down in the subway though because of the heat wave and I can assure you that you won't want to be standing on the platforms too long with the A/C blowing all the excess heat in your direction. The NTTs seem to be the worst for that, probably because all the A/C equipment is on the roof.

Also a lot of the Nova LFS Artic's are currently off of the road because of A/C problems with them, I didn't see a single LFSA while I was down in NYC.

I'll be heading back down to NYC in August.

You were in New York and didn't let me know? :D

I had the misfortune of getting on a couple R32s with no A/C. I first boarded 3488 and it was a furnace inside, so I crossed over into 3694 which too had no A/C, the next car over, 3695 had A/C though at least, but was also crowded as a result.

Ah yes, that's a common sight during the summer. At least the "hot cars" usually have seats available!

The only cars in operation on the C line are the R32s, so you're guaranteed to ride one if you take the C. They operate whenever the C line is operating -- basically, any time except late night. You can also find R32s in occasional operation on the A, but they're not as common.

There are no R32s or R40s on display at the Transit Museum at this point (the newest car is R33WF 9306.) If you come to the museum on a Wednesday or a Thursday this summer, make sure to stop by and say hello to me -- I work there :D

If I happen to come in on one of those days I'll be sure to say hi.

You were in New York and didn't let me know? :)

Ah yes, that's a common sight during the summer. At least the "hot cars" usually have seats available!

Next time round I will if you're still in NY. :P

I rather stand in a cool car than sit in a hot car though and most people would agree. :P

Back on topic, has the MTA brought any of the 10XXs D60s out of storage to make up for the Nova artics OOS because of the A/C problems? Also, what's the chance of catching an R32 on the A during the day, I noticed on Joe Korman's site that there's two sets for the A, but are those sets always sent out?

There are no R32s or R40s on display at the Transit Museum at this point (the newest car is R33WF 9306.) If you come to the museum on a Wednesday or a Thursday this summer, make sure to stop by and say hello to me -- I work there :)

Since you work at the transit museum, can you confirmed if there is Bus Fest during Atlantic Antic this year?

Back on topic, has the MTA brought any of the 10XXs D60s out of storage to make up for the Nova artics OOS because of the A/C problems? Also, what's the chance of catching an R32 on the A during the day, I noticed on Joe Korman's site that there's two sets for the A, but are those sets always sent out?

I saw 1085 on the Bx19 a few weeks ago, but that was when the NovaBus artics were still in service. Last time I passed by Eastchester Depot I noticed a good number of D60HFs sitting in the part of the depot near the New England Thruway where the buses are stored, but those could very well be put back into service.

The two R32 sets for the A train are usually sent out during rush hours; I've seen them occasionally as I use the A/C lines to commute several days per week.

Since you work at the transit museum, can you confirmed if there is Bus Fest during Atlantic Antic this year?

I haven't heard anything about it, but there will most likely be one. And of course I'm going to miss it again :)

Is there anything else theyr'e doing to the R32s besides replacing busted A/C units? I hope that a majority will be back in service by the time I visit next month.

Next time round I will if you're still in NY. :)

I rather stand in a cool car than sit in a hot car though and most people would agree. :P

last week when I was down I rode a Nova artic on the M15 there were lots on that route during the week I was down

Is there anything else theyr'e doing to the R32s besides replacing busted A/C units? I hope that a majority will be back in service by the time I visit next month.

The majority of the R32s are in service, seeing as there's about 4 R44 sets on the C that means there's about 30 R32 that are OOS having their A/C fixed. Out of the maybe 12 or so times I rode R32s while I was in New York, only 2 of them didn't have A/C. I'd also like to note that I find the R32s have the best A/C out of the older generation cars, I read somewhere that the R46s have the best A/C but I wasn't too impressed when I rode those on the A. I found the R68s to be a little on the warm side as well.

last week when I was down I rode a Nova artic on the M15 there were lots on that route during the week I was down

The problem got media attention around July 8th and I assume that's when a lot of the fleet was pulled from the road.

Just read today's AMNY webpage.... another Nova Bus LFS artic issue.

Riders smacked by doors in new buses

Stand clear of the opening doors!

Rear doors on the new high-tech buses being used along First and Second avenues have been catching straphangers off-guard, as they swing inward to open. The doors have occasionally hit people, especially in crowded buses where people are standing near them, riders said.

“I thought my ankle was going to get caught,” said one rider, Dan Clemente, 34, of the Bronx.

Last year, the MTA paid $71 million for 90 of these three-doors vehicles to use on its “select bus service” routes, where riders pay before they board, such as the M15 and Bx12 lines.

A NYC Transit spokeswoman said that there have been no reports of injuries and that the buses feature announcements and decals to warn riders that the doors move inwards.

Before they were put into service earlier this year, the manufacturer added a partition to prevent seated riders from being struck by the doors, she said.

Meanwhile, drivers have been fielding complaints from wheelchair users about the bus ramps being too narrow and steep, with some riders flying down the partitions as they exit, union officials said.

Transit officials said they have gotten only a few complaints about the ramps, which are ADA compliant and much cheaper to maintain than wheelchair lifts used in older buses.

link: http://amny.com/urbanite-1.812039/riders-s...buses-1.2123857

They should never spec the doors open inwards, wait until MTA posting a big fat warning signs or PSA on that bus issue and the bus operators have to kneel down the bus where it is not steep for the wheelchair users to get in and out.

• Board Admin

If by "open inwards" they mean the typical slide glide doors, then there isn't really anything earth shattering about that. All front boarding doors are pretty much of this style. (Of course it is unlawful in the US to have anyone stand there so most people wouldn't experience that.)

I'm sure everyone is just used to the outward swinging doors a la Orion VIIs and RTSes.

They should never spec the doors open inwards, wait until MTA posting a big fat warning signs or PSA on that bus issue and the bus operators have to kneel down the bus where it is not steep for the wheelchair users to get in and out.

There's a reason they put those yellow triangles on the floor in the doorways.

.......every generation, the human race just seems to get more and more stupid.

I think it's time for bus manufacturers to start comparing design notes with livestock transportation companies.

If by "open inwards" they mean the typical slide glide doors, then there isn't really anything earth shattering about that. All front boarding doors are pretty much of this style. (Of course it is unlawful in the US to have anyone stand there so most people wouldn't experience that.)

I'm sure everyone is just used to the outward swinging doors a la Orion VIIs and RTSes.

All MTA buses in operation, except for the Nova artics, have the aforementioned outward swinging doors for their rear exits. The Nova artics were the first with slide glide rear exits, which logically has caused a bit of confusion among those used to the previous design. And especially with crowded buses, passengers are going to take up all available space regardless of whether it's near the doors or not, and the doors are bound to hit unsuspecting passengers.

Other news: I saw one of the two R44 C trains two days ago, the first time I've ever seen anything other than an R27/30, R32 or R38 operating on that line. Quite unusual to see.

One last question. I know that there's an R1-9 fan trip on July 31st, and sadly, I won't be able to attend, but after the fan trip, will they put the R1-9 cars right back to the museum?

Sorry for the noobish question.

Just read today's AMNY webpage.... another Nova Bus LFS artic issue.

link: http://amny.com/urbanite-1.812039/riders-s...buses-1.2123857

This is only being done for buses for Select Bus Service duty.

On another note, the MTA is ordering 135 C40LFs (with a 340-bus option) to replace older C40LFs and also older Orion V CNG buses. One demo for spring 2011; rest will come in late 2011 and through 2012. New Flyer beat out Orion for the contract.

http://mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/100726_1045_BUS.pdf (page 50)

This is only being done for buses for Select Bus Service duty.

On another note, the MTA is ordering 135 C40LFs (with a 340-bus option) to replace older C40LFs and also older Orion V CNG buses. One demo for spring 2011; rest will come in late 2011 and through 2012. New Flyer beat out Orion for the contract.

http://mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/100726_1045_BUS.pdf (page 50)

They'll be C40LFRs, the LF has been discontinued.