MTA NYCT Subway/Bus discussion

hl7534

The MTA currently has three Orion V left, all running out of Eastchester Depot, on the Q50 and the Bx23, although West Farms might have two for supplemental service. They are #6025, #6081, and #6333.

26699733012_3bbc1c81ee_c.jpgIMG_7525 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

26768682256_8fef4e2fe6_c.jpgIMG_7544 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

26188061484_cc6ffabc3c_c.jpgIMG_7547 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

26520811530_7beb3e2743_c.jpgIMG_7569 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

26699709862_85b8c236c3_c.jpgIMG_7593 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

26793068495_17773d3d5e_c.jpgIMG_7598 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Get a peek inside the new buses, equipped with USB charging ports and Wi-Fi

"Back in March, the MTA and Governor Andrew Cuomo announced that the agency would implement a new fleet of buses that come equipped with tech-friendly upgrades—Wi-Fi, electrical outlets, and USB charging ports—in an effort to bring the transit service into the 21st century. (And in an effort to make it impossible to use "but I was commuting!" as an excuse for why you didn't respond to someone's email, but we digress.)

At a press conference yesterday, those buses were officially unveiled, with a new color scheme (yellow and blue, as opposed to the current white and blue), a slightly tweaked design, and those technological innovations."

Source: http://ny.curbed.com/2016/5/18/11701040/nyc-transit-new-bus-tech-friendly

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

On 2016-07-18 at 2:06 PM, tomsbuspage said:

These are quite nice. The livery is going to be less grey which boring in my opinion. 

I am glad they going with open gangway trains. How much these trains increase capacity on the subway lines that they will service? 

• 4 weeks later...

This is an interesting phenomenon, that has good and bad points. Having a non-separable 5-section (or more) train is cheaper to build (allegedly), but if one section has a problem, whole train is out of service. Then you have an issue of what happens when a middle truck derails. Toronto had a new streetcar derail a middle truck last week, apparently it was a bit of a pickle to rerail. Now what happens when this is in a tunnel? If there is no side access, such as in a river tube, what do you do? Cut the train apart, basically causing major damage?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/5/2017 at 1:20 AM, Blue Bus Fan said:

Long Island Rail Road train crashed into Atlantic Terminal hurting 100 people.

LONG ISLAND RAIL ROAD TRAIN CRASHES INTO BUMPER IN BROOKLYN: Earlier today, Governor Andrew M. Cuomo and MTA Chairman Thomas F. Prendergast provided media with an update on this morning’s LIRR derailment at Atlantic Terminal in Brooklyn. At approximately 8:15 a.m., LIRR Train No. 2817, scheduled to depart from Far Rockaway at 7:18 a.m. and due into Atlantic Terminal, Brooklyn, at 8:11 a.m., made contact with the bumping block at Track 6 at Atlantic Terminal. The train was six cars long and carrying approximately 430 passengers. As a result of the impact, the lead wheel assembly derailed as did one additional axle. There were a number of customers injured; none of the injuries were life-threatening. The cause of the incident is under investigation. The MTA has been in contact with the Federal Railroad Administration and the National Transportation Safety Board is en route. Atlantic Terminal has six tracks and three platforms. There have been no delays this morning as result of the incident, and no delays are expected during p.m. rush hour service. (MTA - posted 1/04) 

http://www.railpace.com/hotnews/

• 3 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Shawn Mikee Isidro said:

I am visiting New York City this year on a weekend of July. Do Nova RTS, D60HF, and R32 vehicles run on weekends? If so, what routes are preferred to catch them? What are also some suggestions to fan there during my stay? 

Best bet is to check www.nyctransitforums.com for routes and stuff, When I was there last year they were in service 7 days a week

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Shawn Mikee Isidro said:

I am visiting New York City this year on a weekend of July. Do Nova RTS, D60HF, and R32 vehicles run on weekends? If so, what routes are preferred to catch them? What are also some suggestions to fan there during my stay? 

Yes to all three, although R32 use may be limited on weekends when the C or J have a major service advisory.

Best bet to find buses is to use the MTA's BusTime website or a tracking app that shows bus numbers.  

• Like 1

On 2/11/2017 at 7:59 PM, Shawn Mikee Isidro said:

The R32 have to run on the C and J lines on the weekends. Half the fleet on each line is older trains. But the J is elevated, so it makes for better photos. Best chances to catch weekend RTS in Manhattan are on the M66 and M72. These routes always use RTS buses. Some Brooklyn routes use them as well. Downtown Brookyn would be a good spot. The older RTS from 1996 are being retired and they don't run on the weekend, period. The D60HF run on weekends: The M14A, M14D, M79 (a stone throw's away from the M72), M101, M102, and M103 are good targets. Transit Tracker is a good app; you can look up routes or specific buses. Type in the routes mentioned, and be on the lookout for buses in the 4900-5249 range (RTS) and in the 5510-5769 range (D60HF).

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

NY MTA gets in on the electric bus action!

Source: http://www.metro-magazine.com/bus/news/722207/n-y-mta-to-pilot-electric-bus-program-in-december-2017

"After a study of best practices from systems across the U.S. and around the world, the MTA has identified two vendors to manufacture a total of 10 electric buses, which will be leased for test and evaluation over a period of three years in the New York City operating environment. The first of those vendors, Proterra, was selected to provide overnight charging electric buses, which will be operated on routes including the B39 and B32 in Brooklyn.

The lease of an additional five buses from a second vendor, New Flyer, with en-route opportunity charging, will be presented to the board later this year. The New Flyer buses will operate on the M42 bus route in Manhattan. These contracts are subject to MTA Board approval as well as review and approval by the Office of the New York State Comptroller."

• Like 1